Sennheiser HD 239 vs PX 200 II
Jan 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dontdrop

New Head-Fier
Looking to pick up new headphones and I'm down to these two choices. I tried getting the HD 238 cheap, but it is out of stock. Anyone know if the HD 239 is worth picking up for a small amount more than the PX 200 II ($10)? 

Here's what I'm thinking regarding my choices - 

HD 239 - 
They look more comfortable than the PX 200 II
More expensive
May not sound as good as the PX 200 II
Can't find a lot of reviews or opinions on it

PX 200 II - 
Design not as good 
Volume control (unnecessary and irritating for when I have to carry them around) 
Cheaper
Universally praised

Any opinions?

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 14
Hey,
I had the old PX200, until they finally broke down after 7 years.
I got the HD239s after that.
First, comfort wise, the HDs are much more comfortable as they cover your whole ear. Can wear them for hours without any discomfort (if you wear glasses than maybe very little).
Second, sound wise, when I first heard the HDs, I was disappointed, bass was too loose, treble was harsh. But after about 3 days of usage, they seem to be better, bass is tight and mids are coming out nicely. Not audiophile quality, but decent for the money.
Another difference I've noticed is that the HDs are 'open', so the soundstage is better than the PX.
But keep in mind that you can't use the HDs in outdoor environments as they do not isolate any outside noise.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 14
I have both PX 200 II and HD 238(same as 239, only different exterior), and HD 238 wins in both construction and sound quality. The PX 200 II is a pretty good closed portable, but not worth the value IMO. The 238/239 has a better soundstage (it's open, vs PX 200's closed design), which makes every sound way less congested. It also have better mids and highs (smoother, more balanced).

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 14
I own an old pair of Sennheiser PX-200's and I was considering their replacement to be the Sennheiser HD 239's.  The problem is that I jog/run 5 miles at a clip (3 times/week), and I want something that can handle a little sweat, is light and comfy and HAS REALLY GOOD BALANCED SOUND !!!  I just HATE anything other than ON-THE-EAR headphones (NOT in-ear buds), so I just don't know what to buy that's made for outside and has audiophile sound - really transparent with a big sound stage (I listen to ALL kinds of music). 

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'm totally frustrated as to what to buy.  Thanks !!!

Jefferson

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
I own an old pair of Sennheiser PX-200's and I was considering their replacement to be the Sennheiser HD 239's.  The problem is that I jog/run 5 miles at a clip (3 times/week), and I want something that can handle a little sweat, is light and comfy and HAS REALLY GOOD BALANCED SOUND !!!  I just HATE anything other than ON-THE-EAR headphones (NOT in-ear buds), so I just don't know what to buy that's made for outside and has audiophile sound - really transparent with a big sound stage (I listen to ALL kinds of music). 

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'm totally frustrated as to what to buy.  Thanks !!!

Jefferson

Holy Necro, Jefferson!  Having said that...

I've owned both the PX 200 II and HD 238 (similarities to HD 239 stated by FearSC549 above), I'd say that the HD 238 outclasses the PX 200-II in every way.  It is supraaural, with very balanced sound, and a rather surprisingly large soundstage given its compactness.

The ONLY demerit is that it is heavier than the PX 200-II by virtue of having more to it materially.  But let me make this very clear, it is still VERY lightweight and should not disappoint you on your runs.

I would expect the HD 239 to be as good a performer as the HD 238, so there ya go!  Hope that helps!

EDIT:  Also, the HD 238 is open.  I would thus assume that the HD 239 is as well.  If that's going to be a concern, you might want to take that into account.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for all the input, but I'm still frustrated.  My old PX-200's weight only 2.2 ounces.  While you've established that the HD239's are sonically better (and I definitely don't want in-ear phones), I'm shocked that the HD239's weigh in at just a shade under a WHOPPING 16 ounces (1 pound) !!!!  That's one heavy headphone by ANY standards - way too heavy to use for jogging/running.  I've been doing some internet research, and I can't seem to find an IN-EAR headphone that's truly well-balanced (not some distorted bass piece of crap) and transparent (near audiophile quality) that can handle a little sweat from some exercise.  It's sooooo depressing.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 14
Weight, are you sure about those waits? 
wink.gif
  The HD 238 is only about 10 ounces.  I can't imagine why the HD 239 would be so much heavier...

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Thanks for all the input, but I'm still frustrated.  My old PX-200's weight only 2.2 ounces.  While you've established that the HD239's are sonically better (and I definitely don't want in-ear phones), I'm shocked that the HD239's weigh in at just a shade under a WHOPPING 16 ounces (1 pound) !!!!  That's one heavy headphone by ANY standards - way too heavy to use for jogging/running.  I've been doing some internet research, and I can't seem to find an IN-EAR headphone that's truly well-balanced (not some distorted bass piece of crap) and transparent (near audiophile quality) that can handle a little sweat from some exercise.  It's sooooo depressing.

While I agree about the sound quality of the HD239, I'll say they're not really suited for exercise.

First of all, the padding is all foam, and it'll start to absorb sweat, which is never a good thing. Sweat is corrosive.

Second, they're open, which means you're not really exercising in peace. Without headphones its only the external noise to bear, now its both noise and music combined.

Third, they won't handle the elements well. IEMs are good in this regard, they go into your ears and are kinda shielded from small amounts of rain and dust. Not these.

Fourth, IMO, would you even notice 'audiophile' quality while running? 

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for your input, Proton.  Indeed you are right, audiophile music while running?...  with some ambient noise outside (particularly with an "open" design) is toughe (perhaps semi-open?).  However, I contacted Sennheiser's tech support and this is what I got:

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks for writing back. The HD 239 are sturdy, comfy and light
enough to use while jogging. As for the sweat question that really
depends on the amount of sweat in questions. A small amount of sweat
won't be an issue so long as the headphones are properly dried
afterwards ... let them sit in the open not in an enclosed space. I
would not recommend soaking the headphones though.

Have a great day.

Lachlan Brennan
Sennheiser Technical Support Team
(P): 860-434-9190 EXT3
Email:techsupport@sennheiserusa.com
www.sennheiserusa.com
----------------------------------------------------

Btw, I also checked the headphone weight - apparently, I got the 16 ounces for two reviews that obviously were wrong.  Sennheiser lists the HD 239's at 9.9 ounces (still way heavier than my 2.1 ounce PX-200's but not insanely heavy).

I suppose that I'm frustrated because of my own prejudices when it comes to headphones.  Since I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone at home, buying audiophile headphones for home use makes no sense, bc/ I have have good speakers, etc.  Or my cousin has an incredible (albeit old) system - professional JBL woofers, ring-radiator tweeters and massive horn midranges (all tri-amped and balanced along with a pre-amp made with NASA parts akin to a Levenson).  The sound stage is massive and vocals feel like the singer is literally there.  Headphones????  I NEED them for portable use, and I'm tired of mediocre sound.  Sheesh - my apologies for this rambling reply.

As for in-ear headphones - I've read very conflicting data.  An IEM company made the argument that hearing loss is less likely with their devices, because the superior noise isolation allows for good listening at lower decibal levels.  However, many medical articles warn against all in-ear devices, citing serious hearing loss potential.  They even recommend lower listening levels for standard headphones.  At any rate, I personally don't like the feel of in-ear devices.  As for noise cancelling headphones, most of my reading shuns these, stating that their NC circuitry yields poor music reproduction.

I was hoping that it wouldn't take so much effort to find and buy something good.... but...  damn.  I'd probably benefit from one of those headphone gathering, but alas, I live in NY there's no local show coming here.    There.... I've whined enough !!!

Jeff

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Thanks for your input, Proton.  Indeed you are right, audiophile music while running?...  with some ambient noise outside (particularly with an "open" design) is toughe (perhaps semi-open?).  However, I contacted Sennheiser's tech support and this is what I got:

-------------------------------------------------
Thanks for writing back. The HD 239 are sturdy, comfy and light
enough to use while jogging. As for the sweat question that really
depends on the amount of sweat in questions. A small amount of sweat
won't be an issue so long as the headphones are properly dried
afterwards ... let them sit in the open not in an enclosed space. I
would not recommend soaking the headphones though.

Have a great day.

Lachlan Brennan
Sennheiser Technical Support Team
(P): 860-434-9190 EXT3
Email:techsupport@sennheiserusa.com
www.sennheiserusa.com
----------------------------------------------------

Btw, I also checked the headphone weight - apparently, I got the 16 ounces for two reviews that obviously were wrong.  Sennheiser lists the HD 239's at 9.9 ounces (still way heavier than my 2.1 ounce PX-200's but not insanely heavy).

I suppose that I'm frustrated because of my own prejudices when it comes to headphones.  Since I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone at home, buying audiophile headphones for home use makes no sense, bc/ I have have good speakers, etc.  Or my cousin has an incredible (albeit old) system - professional JBL woofers, ring-radiator tweeters and massive horn midranges (all tri-amped and balanced along with a pre-amp made with NASA parts akin to a Levenson).  The sound stage is massive and vocals feel like the singer is literally there.  Headphones????  I NEED them for portable use, and I'm tired of mediocre sound.  Sheesh - my apologies for this rambling reply.

As for in-ear headphones - I've read very conflicting data.  An IEM company made the argument that hearing loss is less likely with their devices, because the superior noise isolation allows for good listening at lower decibal levels.  However, many medical articles warn against all in-ear devices, citing serious hearing loss potential.  They even recommend lower listening levels for standard headphones.  At any rate, I personally don't like the feel of in-ear devices.  As for noise cancelling headphones, most of my reading shuns these, stating that their NC circuitry yields poor music reproduction.

I was hoping that it wouldn't take so much effort to find and buy something good.... but...  damn.  I'd probably benefit from one of those headphone gathering, but alas, I live in NY there's no local show coming here.    There.... I've whined enough !!!

Jeff

Try the HD650s some time...I reckon you won't be touching your speakers for a while...
biggrin.gif

And good to know sennheiser responds to customer emails.

Personal experience, IEMs are much more easy on the ears since you're not pumping up the volume to drown external noise. I use the Shure SE425 if going out. The good thing about these is that the ear tips are replaceable (most good IEMs have that), so you can clean them, wash them or change them if need be. I'm using the comply tips, they're more comfortable.

Maybe you can try some of these out at a local store, or if sennheiser has a showroom somewhere nearby.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 14
I just got my HD239's, I have been using just cheap walmart headphones up to this time, and I find them very responsive, good balanced sound.  I used to, years ago, DJ so I know what sound should sound like.  I have been disappointed with headphones to this point and was resigned to just dealing with what I could get.  These headphones changed my mind, awsome sound.  I am expecting my hd558 and hd600 in the next couple of days, the hd558 for computer use and the hd600 for stereo. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 14
I may suggest that the relevant comparison that should take place here is between the Sennheiser HD239 and the Px100 (now PX100-II) as both headphones are "open" and for far in pricing. It is less relevant to compare an open headphone with a closed one like the px200.

Any thoughts on this hd239/px100-II comparison. I myself is considering to buy one of these for outside/on the move small headphones, when my Amperior, Momentum over ear or Hd25 are sometimes too bulky for my ride (and my ordered HD598 also too bulky and better served as indoor/living room experience.

I must admit however that the Hd25/Amperior closed heahones are hard to beat (and better than Beats, by the way) for loud environments like airplane travel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back