Sennheiser HD 598 and Sony Ma900?
Dec 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kdavis71

100+ Head-Fier
How do these two compare for someone that has done A/B testing with both?

Which one is more recommended for gaming, for movies, and for music?

EDIT:

Also for all intensive purposes:

Gaming - FPS
Movies - Popular "Hollywood" movies
Music - Lindsey Stirling, Celine Dion, Passenger, Avicii, Ellie Goulding...

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 8
  How do these two compare for someone that has done A/B testing with both?
Which one is more recommended for gaming, for movies, and for music?
Also for all intensive purposes:

Gaming - FPS
Movies - Popular "Hollywood" movies
Music - Lindsey Stirling, Celine Dion, Passenger, Avicii, Ellie Goulding...

From what I've seen in other reviews, the MA900 might be the preferred headphone (more bass).

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks both for the input. Purple your always quick to respond which is cool.

Bass is good and for me it is important. I am really leaning towards the ma900's because in reviews people say the soundstage is amazing for the price and I never heard a high end headphone or an open back so I am curious to see what it's like.

There's so many good reviews for the hd 598s whereas the reviews for ma900 seem to be mostly positive but with a few negative reviews. It seems if I get the 598s I know I am getting a good product but if I can get the ma900 for just a little but more and it has better sound I would gladly take that opportunity. I don't know of or even think there is anyone around here for me to audition these headphones which is why I am asking if anyone has done an a/b comparison of the two.

My preferred sound sig is a strong but not overpowering low end, I can live with neutral as long as it's not anemic. I also want something where the vocals will really shine and sound realistic/natural. I also like clarity and highly detailed, I think that's considered analytical? Also an issue I have with the ATH-m50 is that vocals and just voices in general tend to make my ears hurt, I don't know why but my ears seem really sensitive to the vocals on the ath-m50.

If I went from most important to least it would be realistic/natural vocals > bass/low end > clarity and detail.

I naturally want a large soundstage with good imaging which is the sole purpose of wanting one of these two headphones.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 8
  I don't know about "for all intensive purposes" but for music I like the 598.

I like using my HD558 for a lot of stuff, but I know this is better.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 8
  How about the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm? I have a Fiio E17 and how do these compare to the Sony Ma900?

DT990s have good detail and soundstage, not quite as huge as the MA900, but the 990 mids are recessed to start with, and this is exacerbated by the overpowering bass which masks it even further - highs are very clear and bright, which I personally didn't mind too much. You seem to like this V-shaped sound - the MA900 is much more balanced, mids are very clear and rich, highs extended but sweet, and bass is definitely there when it's in the actual recording!
To be honest, I can't believe how great the MA900s sound - easily on a par with my 598s but more airy and natural sounding - the 598s are just a touch more solid in the sound, but there is not much between these two cans, whereas the DT990s are great for movies and probably some types of music, but didn't work for me with classical, except for string quartets and solo cello!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back