Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #7,501 of 7,535
Hi ,

I just bought HD 598 sr and will be pairing them with galaxy s7 exynos which comes with Lucky CS47L91 dac.

Would my phone be enough to drive them or should I buy an portable amp like fiio a3?

Thanks in advance for your help
The S7 is/was considered a premium smartphone, so it's probably powerful enough to drive the 598. My iphone 6 is able to drive them to loud enough levels (I typically don't listen above about 70% volume and that's fairly loud). The 598 are fairly efficient and pretty low ohms, so they're not that hard to drive. With that said, an outboard, dedicated amp will provide more volume and more importantly, better dynamics. I suggest trying them with your phone first before considering an amp.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #7,502 of 7,535
I own a pair of HD598SE and I may say that I am not impressed. They lack any kind of bass whatsoever (and I am not a basshead), making it almost impossible to enjoy your music despite the very wide soundstage they provide. Finally the fact that you can only drive those through a Single Ended output makes them lacklusters to anyone who owns a high end audio source, you are much better off buying a HD58X or HD6XX for a similar price range, considering how better these are the HD598 isn't really even worth considering.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,503 of 7,535
I own a pair of HD598SE and I may say that I am not impressed. They lack any kind of bass whatsoever (and I am not a basshead), making it almost impossible to enjoy your music despite the very wide soundstage they provide. Finally the fact that you can only drive those through a Single Ended output makes them lacklusters to anyone who owns a high end audio source, you are much better off buying a HD58X or HD6XX for a similar price range, considering how better these are the HD598 isn't really even worth considering.
I find it hard to understand, the comment that " they lack any kind of bass whatsoever". They have a reasonable amount of upper bass, from 100hz. to 250hz. Below that they do roll off; so for some people, who like or are used to more mid bass and below, they might be slightly lacking in bass; but I think it's an exaggeration to say they're completely lacking in bass.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #7,504 of 7,535
It's possible that the specific SE pair that you have/had has less bass than the original ivory 598. I say it's possible, because that's exactly what happened to me. A couple of years ago, right before the SE came out, I bought an ivory 598, and I loved the sound from the beginning. The bass was a bit on the light side, but not lacking, especially compared to almost all open back cans I tried around that time. Then the SE came out, and I returned the ivory 598 and ordered the black SE instead for the color and extra, short cable. The SE was a disappointment from first listen. They were very light on bass and much more treble focused. I hated the sound. Ultimately, I returned the SE and bought the ivory 598 again, and have been happy ever since.

You are correct that for the money, the HD 6XX is a more capable headphone IF you have a good, quality external amplifier. If one is just listening out of a smartphone, laptop or other device with built in amp, the HD 598 is a better choice, IMO. The HD 650/6XX can sound a bit flat and boring out of a device with integrated amp.

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #7,505 of 7,535
It's so ridiculous that they can't detect such obvious defect... Bad QA! Otherwise, just stating that they have no bass might simply be subjective taste, it all depends on the reference. That's why comparisons are so important. Looking at measurements, they should easily have ~40hz bass response, albeit slightly rolled off. But so does the 6xx. So if the 598SE has no bass, yeah, probably defective headphone & so bad Q.A... IMHO, they're not bass monsters but they do have quite respectable bass***.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHD6XX.pdf

***; for a ~100-200$ headphone. I mean it's somewhat comparable to Q701 or Grado SR80, probably sits somewhere between both in terms of bass response. And personally, bought it for 100$cdn on sale a couple of years ago, I think that for that price they perform quite well, but yeah for $200, I'd say the Q701 has better sound, and so should 6xx from what I've heard, so yeah around the $200 mark there's likely better choices!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #7,506 of 7,535
It's so ridiculous that they can't detect such obvious defect... Bad QA! Otherwise, just stating that they have no bass might simply be subjective taste, it all depends on the reference. That's why comparisons are so important. Looking at measurements, they should easily have ~40hz bass response, albeit slightly rolled off. But so does the 6xx. So if the 598SE has no bass, yeah, probably defective headphone & so bad Q.A... IMHO, they're not bass monsters but they do have quite respectable bass***.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MassdropHD6XX.pdf

***; for a ~100-200$ headphone. I mean it's somewhat comparable to Q701 or Grado SR80, probably sits somewhere between both in terms of bass response. And personally, bought it for 100$cdn on sale a couple of years ago, I think that for that price they perform quite well, but yeah for $200, I'd say the Q701 has better sound, and so should 6xx from what I've heard, so yeah around the $200 mark there's likely better choices!
I had Q701 and the older SR80i. I think the HD 598 has more relative bass than both. The SR80i were very bright sounding, and genres like rap/hip-hop and EDM were virtually unlistenable due to the lack of low end. 598 is warmer than Q701. Q701 bass is present but light. Maybe if I had a more appropriate amp, the Q701s would've sounded more weighty. Regardless of sound, had to return Q701 due to the very uncomfortable hard bumps on the headband. For $200, I'd much rather get the K7xx than the Q701. More bass and no bumps on headband.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #7,507 of 7,535
It is well documented that around 100Hz the impedance on these shoots way up, so you need to amp them to achieve the correct bass response. Anything you plug it straight into usually results in boomy or absent bass complaints.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #7,508 of 7,535
It is well documented that around 100Hz the impedance on these shoots way up, so you need to amp them to achieve the correct bass response. Anything you plug it straight into usually results in boomy or absent bass complaints.

Yes, I remember that it is said to be around 300ohm at that point.

I have always amped mine and find that it has nice bass.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #7,509 of 7,535
Actually, what you want is an amp with a low output impedance, so that the effects of the 598's impedance spike around 100 Hz are essentially neutralized. It's folks with amps with a high output impedance that have complained of boomy or distorted bass with the 598s. What's low and what's high? I'm not sure. Just know that the higher the output impedance on the amp, the more boomy the bass will sound possibly even becoming distorted. I believe my iphone's output impedance is around 4 Ohms, and my Fiio's is around 1-2 Ohms. So that's considered low and causes no issues with the 598s.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #7,510 of 7,535
It's possible that the specific SE pair that you have/had has less bass than the original ivory 598. I say it's possible, because that's exactly what happened to me. A couple of years ago, right before the SE came out, I bought an ivory 598, and I loved the sound from the beginning. The bass was a bit on the light side, but not lacking, especially compared to almost all open back cans I tried around that time. Then the SE came out, and I returned the ivory 598 and ordered the black SE instead for the color and extra, short cable. The SE was a disappointment from first listen. They were very light on bass and much more treble focused. I hated the sound. Ultimately, I returned the SE and bought the ivory 598 again, and have been happy ever since.

You are correct that for the money, the HD 6XX is a more capable headphone IF you have a good, quality external amplifier. If one is just listening out of a smartphone, laptop or other device with built in amp, the HD 598 is a better choice, IMO. The HD 650/6XX can sound a bit flat and boring out of a device with integrated amp.

I have owned a pair of HD598 for a couple of weeks before switching to a HD598SE (I initially bought them on Amazon, then a black friday offer came for the HD598SE, so I returned the first pair (which I had paid an extra €30 for). I daresay the sound characteristics were equivalent, the first pair was already bass lacking, for your intel, I am listening to those using the NW-ZX300 as a source (from the SE output obviously, since you can't run them balanced) over high gain, this DAP should provide more than enough power to drive the HD598. I do own the HD6XX and HD58X as well, those are much better sounding and actually do provide decent bass levels (even more so for the HD58X), granted I am driving those on balanced through high gain, that said they are (especially the HD6XX) much harder to drive, not that I actually have any issues on that front, I am, by the way I can do multiple side by side listenings and I can confirm that the HD598SE (which is, just a black version of the HD598) lack bass, period.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #7,512 of 7,535
hey guys, quick question...
Does the cable you attach to the headphones affect the quality of sound? I got two cables in my box, the one has a microphone on it, I guess for simple calls and stuff. Will the audio quality be the same regardless?
Sorry for the noob question.
Depends on who you ask. Do YOU hear any difference? That's all that matters. If you hear (or just think you hear) a difference, use the better one for a while. Then try again. You may find you no longer hear that difference. Have I confuse you enough? :grin:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #7,513 of 7,535
I can confirm that the HD598SE (which is, just a black version of the HD598) lack bass, period.

Something has to be wrong with your pair. Mine is the HD598SE and, while I would not recommend them for a basshead, it has nice bass. Now you have made me want to listen to them today even though I have a new pair of IEMs to try :)

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #7,514 of 7,535
I have owned a pair of HD598 for a couple of weeks before switching to a HD598SE (I initially bought them on Amazon, then a black friday offer came for the HD598SE, so I returned the first pair (which I had paid an extra €30 for). I daresay the sound characteristics were equivalent, the first pair was already bass lacking, for your intel, I am listening to those using the NW-ZX300 as a source (from the SE output obviously, since you can't run them balanced) over high gain, this DAP should provide more than enough power to drive the HD598. I do own the HD6XX and HD58X as well, those are much better sounding and actually do provide decent bass levels (even more so for the HD58X), granted I am driving those on balanced through high gain, that said they are (especially the HD6XX) much harder to drive, not that I actually have any issues on that front, I am, by the way I can do multiple side by side listenings and I can confirm that the HD598SE (which is, just a black version of the HD598) lack bass, period.
Yes, there have been others who have posted on HF that ivory and SE 598 sound identical. Yet others have posted that the SE had more bass than the ivory. My point to the other poster was that maybe he got a "bad" SE since he said it lacks any bass whatsoever. Maybe he was simply exaggerating.

If you are saying that a proper-sounding HD 598 lacks bass, then we subjectively disagree. I think most HD 598 owners would put them in the "light" or "adequate" bass categories for an open back can. Anyone who says they seriously lack bass or lack any bass either has a bad pair, is listening in a loud environment, or has tastes for significant amounts of bass. I found they have more bass than Q701, HE400S, SR80i, DT 880 32 ohm. Compared with HD 650, it's a tough call, but I'd say the 598 have more mid-bass, while 650 have more low bass. Or put another way, bass response is more flat with 650, while 598 tend to roll off more sharply from their mid-bass peak. X2 and Porta Pro have more bass than HD 598. Closed back cans are a different story.

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #7,515 of 7,535
hey guys, quick question...
Does the cable you attach to the headphones affect the quality of sound? I got two cables in my box, the one has a microphone on it, I guess for simple calls and stuff. Will the audio quality be the same regardless?
Sorry for the noob question.
Go with what @KopaneDePooj said. Do YOU hear a difference? I can tell you my one story with the 2 cables that came with the 598 SE I ordered a few years back. First, I used the shorter, thinner cable and it's all I used for at least 2 weeks. I hated the sound. Not because of the cable. There was something "wrong" with the sound of this particular 598 pair. Bass was very weak and treble was too bright. After a couple of weeks, I tried the longer, thicker cable - the same cable that comes with the ivory 598s. I "thought" I heard a slight difference between the 2 cables. Comparing back to back and with the new ivory 598 I'd just ordered, I found the longer, thicker cable to sound slightly warmer and more 3-dimensional (wider, deeper soundstage). It's possible it was just in my head, but I think I heard a slight difference. In contrast, the differences between the ivory and SE pairs I heard with the same cable, were obvious. 100% certain the cans themselves sounded different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back