Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4,638 of 7,535
  nfb-11 or even nfb-15 is better than magni modi/o2 odac

How do you know it's better? You don't own any of that equipment yet.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #4,640 of 7,535
  that was coming not from my experience but doing research from other peoples thoughts

don't want to appear as the forum police but for the sake of clarity I quote the posting guidelines below. You can say however that the general consensus is this or that - but without listening to the gear, you should mention that you never heard any of the things you just proclaimed "better" ...

Reviews and Impressions

Please don't recommend or post reviews of equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself. Likewise, People use the reviews in the Head Gear section to decide what product to buy, and brief impressions or comments by people who don't own a product (or at least haven't had it in their possession for a sufficient amount of time) are unhelpful.

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #4,642 of 7,535
598 + magni/modi will make you forget about upgrading headphones for a very very long time.

Yes indeed. And since the Magni2 and Modi2 are improved versions of the Magni/Modi, it's even better.
The HD598 was my first real headphone. I bought it together with a Schiit Asgard when Schiit had just started.

Back then I just connected the combination to my MacBook pro and played some FLACs through it and my mind was blown. I couldn't believe how good voices and acoustic music could sound. My HD598 are still getting as lot of head time even though I since moved on and have a few other headphones that I like and wear a lot. 

But the above combination is probably something I could live with - if I had to abandon the hobby and could only have one affordable set, this would be it.

Cheers, 
K

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #4,643 of 7,535

But the above combination is probably something I could live with - if I had to abandon the hobby and could only have one affordable set, this would be it.

K

+1 I was thinking about this the other day. The 600/650 are noticeably better, sure, BUT they need really good amplification and that gets out of affordable range in a hurry. With how affordable the HD598 is nowadays, plus the magni/modi combos you have a legitimate value champ that performs better than my HD650 driven from a fiio or something. So yeah I'd gladly live with only this headphone

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,645 of 7,535
Hey I'm just hopping on this thread for a moment because I've been thinking about buying the 598s, I saw the impedance is low and I could probably run it off my onboard soundcard, but would they benefit from having an amp/dac? If they would, I'm  thinking of buying the original magni/modi since I'm going to be upgrading them much later. Would these go good together?

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,646 of 7,535
  Hey I'm just hopping on this thread for a moment because I've been thinking about buying the 598s, I saw the impedance is low and I could probably run it off my onboard soundcard, but would they benefit from having an amp/dac? If they would, I'm  thinking of buying the original magni/modi since I'm going to be upgrading them much later. Would these go good together?

I use my HD598 directly out of my Macbook Pro, and they are phenomenal (when used with FLAC files in Audirvana Plus)

I'm just about to order the Magni 2 Uber / Modi 2 Uber.

Ill let ya know the difference when I get em :)

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,647 of 7,535

You're fine with a good sound card. The original Magni is a potentially bad idea, as its gain is a bit too high for the 598s (I barely get to use the pot as it is with my HD800s). I've heard no audible difference in the 598s with any of the gear I've owned and sold, from my low-end Realtek to a Bifrost+V200 combo.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,648 of 7,535
Hi,i"m thinking to buying these headphones,but i heard some problem about them,about cracking the headband,is that problem fixed till now,or still exist model with that,cause i will like to buy those,and have it about 4-5 years

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #4,650 of 7,535
  What would be a significant, noticeable, upgrade from the HD598?
I really like the HD598..

HD600 vs HD650..

Significantly better than the HD598?

how?

The AKG K7xx are back on Massdrop for the remaining units. Amazing headphones, just got mine. While I like the 598's more for jazz and the likes, the K7xx do everything else better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back