Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #706 of 7,535
You have both the Grado SR60 and the HD598, how do you compare the two?  I'm not sure if you listen to metal or not, but would the HD 598 be a better buy then the SR60/SR60i?

Quote:
No creaking, no cracking on my side.  Had em for a good long while now.  Cord feels a bit flimsy compared to the Grado SR60's, but I find no real issues on durability. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #707 of 7,535

Quote:
You have both the Grado SR60 and the HD598, how do you compare the two?  I'm not sure if you listen to metal or not, but would the HD 598 be a better buy then the SR60/SR60i?

I'm really interested in this too. I was thinking a Grado would be a great pair of cans to compliment the 598s for hard rock/metal.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #709 of 7,535

Quote:
I like the HD25-II for metal more than either of these. Metal needs bass quantity and none of these really deliver that.

Uh?

Are you serious? Or are you just riding on Bcasey's review?

Grados are meant for fast music. I.e metal and fast rock. 

Electric guitar solos, crazy hard hitting drums and forward vocals. All you need is a midbass hump, spiked treble and slightly bumped up mids. For bass-heavier rock, like Arctic Monkeys and Red Hot Chili Peppers, then maybe the HD25.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #710 of 7,535
Well, yeah- I have the SR80i and HD25-II in front of me. And the thing that bugs me with SR80i for metal besides the bass quantity is that a great multitude of metal recordings (maybe not prog-metal) are recorded very loudly. If anything makes the Grado sound bad then these are the loud recordings. HD25-II seems to handle them better.

And yeah, I'm serious that I like them for metal.

Quote:
Uh?

Are you serious? Or are you just riding on Bcasey's review?

Grados are meant for fast music. I.e metal and fast rock. 

Electric guitar solos, crazy hard hitting drums and forward vocals. All you need is a midbass hump, spiked treble and slightly bumped up mids. For bass-heavier rock, like Arctic Monkeys and Red Hot Chili Peppers, then maybe the HD25.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #711 of 7,535
I bought mine a month ago and I love them, but I think they need an amp ... I have seen reviews on the forum but I'm still a little confused about what I should buy.

The sources are my pc's (the desktop has a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, and the laptop has the card onboard).

What do you recommend? Tub amp, solid state or hybrid? I have seen recommend the SchiitAmplfier Headphone Audio Asgard, some Little Dot Amplifiers (MK III I think) ... What do you think of Valhalla?

I liked to let the sound of the HD598 Fuller (best midstreble and bass), with better separation of instruments and a little more sub-bass ...

Thanks in advance!

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #713 of 7,535

Quote:
Well, yeah- I have the SR80i and HD25-II in front of me. And the thing that bugs me with SR80i for metal besides the bass quantity is that a great multitude of metal recordings (maybe not prog-metal) are recorded very loudly. If anything makes the Grado sound bad then these are the loud recordings. HD25-II seems to handle them better.

Agreed. Metal needs real bass extension and bass impact.

Why do you think 7-string guitars and 5-string basses become so popular? Neither of these headphones really do metal justice. 9 out of 10, I would pick a closed headphone for metal.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #714 of 7,535
Quote:
I'm really interested in this too. I was thinking a Grado would be a great pair of cans to compliment the 598s for hard rock/metal.

I'll be honest.  The two headphones are more alike that some people would give em credit. Both are good for metal... Just depends on the specific genre.  It boils down to preference.  I'll find my self switching over to the Grados for the faster paced stuff, while my 598s work better with older metal bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.  The Grados work better with Metallica and the such.  They do compliment each other rather well I must say.  Not polar opposites, but pretty close. Comfort wise the 598s win hands down since I found the Grados to dig into my ears after a few hours. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #715 of 7,535

Quote:

Agreed. Metal needs real bass extension and bass impact.

Why do you think 7-string guitars and 5-string basses become so popular? Neither of these headphones really do metal justice. 9 out of 10, I would pick a closed headphone for metal.

Quote:

To each his own I guess. I never found bass to be that important in metal. In rock, I can understand. Bands like Red Hot Chilli Pepper sound srsly thin on Grados. Any examples of metal songs that's got good bass? 

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #719 of 7,535

Quote:
I bought mine a month ago and I love them, but I think they need an amp ... I have seen reviews on the forum but I'm still a little confused about what I should buy.

The sources are my pc's (the desktop has a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, and the laptop has the card onboard).

What do you recommend? Tub amp, solid state or hybrid? I have seen recommend the SchiitAmplfier Headphone Audio Asgard, some Little Dot Amplifiers (MK III I think) ... What do you think of Valhalla?

I liked to let the sound of the HD598 Fuller (best midstreble and bass), with better separation of instruments and a little more sub-bass ...

Thanks in advance!

Help please :p

Sorry my English  :s

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #720 of 7,535

Quote:
I'll be honest.  The two headphones are more alike that some people would give em credit. Both are good for metal... Just depends on the specific genre.  It boils down to preference.  I'll find my self switching over to the Grados for the faster paced stuff, while my 598s work better with older metal bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden.  The Grados work better with Metallica and the such.  They do compliment each other rather well I must say.  Not polar opposites, but pretty close. Comfort wise the 598s win hands down since I found the Grados to dig into my ears after a few hours. 

I agree that they do sound awesome with Black Sabbath, and pretty good with Iron Maiden. It's stuff more like Tool, Opeth, and other random things that I feel are lacking with quick changes in dynamic. The vocals sound nice, but not always forward enough.

The more I listen the more I learn it can be hard to generalize that a certain can sounds great with a certain genre, because what sounds good often varies by recording. I'm not looking for a new pair of headphones soon, but I'm not sure if a Grado or closed can would better compliment the 598s for my tastes. I sort of want to try everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back