Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #2,224 of 23,486
I just sold my HD650 in favor of my HD600.  I just don't get it.  They way folks over there (the 650 appreciation thread) rave and drool over that 650 ..... sounds just like my HD600!    I wonder if my Sennheiser twins were somehow switched at birth.  Anyway, I'm totally at peace with my decision.  Unfortunately for me (or rather, my wallet), my HD650 sale has gone to fund a HE-500 purchase ..... we shall see which ends up with greater head time.... I wouldn't be surprised if it's the HD600

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,225 of 23,486
Quote:

I've got two now, too! One for the office and one for the home! Not sure if I use the home one enough to keep it...

Quote:
Every time I plug in my HD600, I am amazed. I have 2 right now, will probably have to sell the one... One's more broken in and has a better sound for now, the other one's newer. Kind of a knotty dilemma.

Would one of you guys be so kind to sell me a pair?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I just sold my HD650 in favor of my HD600.  I just don't get it.  They way folks over there (the 650 appreciation thread) rave and drool over that 650 ..... sounds just like my HD600!    I wonder if my Sennheiser twins were somehow switched at birth.  Anyway, I'm totally at peace with my decision.  Unfortunately for me (or rather, my wallet), my HD650 sale has gone to fund a HE-500 purchase ..... we shall see which ends up with greater head time.... I wouldn't be surprised if it's the HD600

Bob,

Why don't you bring those 600 down to Cincinnati to our little mini meet so we can compare.  Dec. 8th  Me, Happy Camper and SoupRKnowva.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #2,226 of 23,486

I had the HE-500 for about seven months.. it's a fantastic phone, I loved it.. and very much in the same lineage of the HD600 as far as signature.. but I ended up eventually selling it in favor of.. you guessed it.. the HD600.

While the HE-500 is the more technically advanced phone, there's is just something very special about the HD600 sound & I simply found myself drawn to it more often than the HE-500.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,227 of 23,486
It definitely deserves a 200 dollar + amp, mine both love my x-cans and Voyager, but I know I am not hearing the HD600s full potential . Using them with my e7 just shows all the flaws if the Fiio, a bit like putting 2 star petrol in a Rolls Royce !

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #2,228 of 23,486
Quote:

I had the HE-500 for about seven months.. it's a fantastic phone, I loved it.. and very much in the same lineage of the HD600 as far as signature.. but I ended up eventually selling it in favor of.. you guessed it.. the HD600.

While the HE-500 is the more technically advanced phone, there's is just something very special about the HD600 sound & I simply found myself drawn to it more often than the HE-500.

Hmm interesting. I was looking at the HE-500 as an "upgrade" from the hd600, namely for the bass, which is a bit modest with the hd600.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,230 of 23,486
Hmm interesting. I was looking at the HE-500 as an "upgrade" from the hd600, namely for the bass, which is a bit modest with the hd600.

As I said, the HE-500 is an upgrade to the HD600 in terms of technicalities..the HE-500 is faster, clearer, more dynamic, better extended, and possess a larger soundstage.  They share a great deal as far as sound signature, too (probably the closest I've heard to the HD600).  If someone is looking to hear an advancement on the HD600 sound.. the HE-500 would be a very good choice, IME.

To my ears, the HD600 sounds more laid back & smoother sounding than the HE-500.  While the HE-500's gentle bass boost was tuned in a very tasteful manner.. I came to find it slightly too thick for my taste.  The HE-500's midrage, while impeccably smooth and a showstealer in terms of clarity and detail, sounded slightly more forward than I desired.  It's certainly not Grado-esque in aggression but the forward nature of the midrange was easily identifiable to my ears.  The dip in the upper midrange & lower treble (around 4K) gave the midrange a slightly darker tone than I had hoped for.

The HD600 has a slightly more prominent midbass boost than the HE-500 but the HD600's midbass has a more airy, open quality to it vs the HE-500 bass' thicker quality.  What's important to note though is that despite the HE-500's thicker bass response.. it's still incredibly fast, effortless, clear, and clean (thanks to the excellent ortho driver).  My issue was really with the HE-500's bass texturing more than some technical shortcoming (cause for the price, there really isn't any).  Like the HE-500, the HD600 midrange is positioned slightly forward in the mix..but the HD600's midrange doesn't feel or sound as aggressive as the HE-500's midrange did.  Both the HD600 & HE-500 have smooth, gently rolled off treble..the HD600 feels like it's got a touch more air and openness while the HE-500's treble is buttery smooth and clear.

For me, the decision came down to personal taste more than anything.  The airy, laid back, romantic feel of the HD-600 was simply too seductive 
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2,231 of 23,486
Quote:

As I said, the HE-500 is an upgrade to the HD600 in terms of technicalities..the HE-500 is faster, clearer, more dynamic, better extended, and possess a larger soundstage.  They share a great deal as far as sound signature, too (probably the closest I've heard to the HD600).  If someone is looking to hear an advancement on the HD600 sound.. the HE-500 would be a very good choice, IME.

To my ears, the HD600 sounds more laid back & smoother sounding than the HE-500.  While the HE-500's gentle bass boost was tuned in a very tasteful manner.. I came to find it slightly too thick for my taste.  The HE-500's midrage, while impeccably smooth and a showstealer in terms of clarity and detail, sounded slightly more forward than I desired.  It's certainly not Grado-esque in aggression but the forward nature of the midrange was easily identifiable to my ears.  The dip in the upper midrange & lower treble (around 4K) gave the midrange a slightly darker tone than I had hoped for.

The HD600 has a slightly more prominent midbass boost than the HE-500 but the HD600's midbass has a more airy, open quality to it vs the HE-500 bass' thicker quality.  What's important to note though is that despite the HE-500's thicker bass response.. it's still incredibly fast, effortless, clear, and clean (thanks to the excellent ortho driver).  My issue was really with the HE-500's bass texturing more than some technical shortcoming (cause for the price, there really isn't any).  Like the HE-500, the HD600 midrange is positioned slightly forward in the mix..but the HD600's midrange doesn't feel or sound as aggressive as the HE-500's midrange did.  Both the HD600 & HE-500 have smooth, gently rolled off treble..the HD600 feels like it's got a touch more air and openness while the HE-500's treble is buttery smooth and clear.

For me, the decision came down to personal taste more than anything.  The airy, laid back, romantic feel of the HD-600 was simply too seductive 
wink_face.gif

thanks, that's quite helpful!
I don't I'll ever replace my hd600's, but I definitely want to hear the HE-500 at some point. I know a lot of people say they excel at electronica/hip hop because of the bass, but I personally quite like the hd600 for those genres. It just sounds effortless.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,232 of 23,486
Will the HD600 complement well with the following genres?

Female Vocals
Piano/Cellos (mainly instrumental)
Orchestra
Acoustic

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,235 of 23,486
Quote:

wink_face.gif

+1 This! Exactly what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back