Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2,281 of 23,486
the cardas on the hd600 took my appetite off the toptier cans :p
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2,284 of 23,486
what improvements do expensive aftermarket cables (like the cardas) provide for the HD 600?
and more importantly, how noticeable are these improvements?

are there any cables less than $100 that are worth trying?
i absolutely love the HD 600, and would consider testing cables out myself if they're not too expensive.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2,285 of 23,486
Forget the hd800 and get the hd600.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #2,286 of 23,486
The HD600 I just bought has a hole in the mesh layer between your ears and the driver.
Is there any reason for this to affect the sound?  and is it replaceable?

Also I just read that the Pads have an impact on the sound?!
How would worn out pads sound any worse? 

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #2,287 of 23,486
The HD600 I just bought has a hole in the mesh layer between your ears and the driver.

A photo?

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2,288 of 23,486
Quote:

Worn out pads move your ear closer to the driver, which affects the sound. Whether it makes the sound worse or not is possibly a matter of opinion.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #2,289 of 23,486
None. Snake oil. If anyone claims to hear a difference, it's all from expectation bias or they are trying to justify to themselves the money they spent.

what improvements do expensive aftermarket cables (like the cardas) provide for the HD 600?

i absolutely love the HD 600, and would consider testing cables out myself if they're not too expensive.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,291 of 23,486
Quote:

I just like the look and feel of "some" aftermarket cables.  They all sound the same to me..

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #2,292 of 23,486
Hi, there is no problem with it. Mine is like that too.

On the other hand, try this :wink:

And for people afraid of pads getting worn, why don't you stuff a tissue or a cable beneath the pads?

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,293 of 23,486
Quote:

the hole you are talking exposes the driver right? If true that would make them sound better however you risk damaging the driver from getting oil from your ears on it.  I took out the stock foam piece completely and replaced it with a cut out piece of thin pantyhoes.  They make the 600s sound less bassy and it seems to bring out the highs a bit more.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #2,294 of 23,486
Quote:

I could never justify spending $200+ on a cable. I could get similar results with a DIY cable and save money.
I imagine that most of the costs for these expensive cables are just due to labor and a markup from running a business.

Don't listen to these weirdos that somehow think there is no difference with ANY cable and just keep trying to preach to people. I won't say there is, but best way is to try them out for yourself.
I bet none of them have tried ANY and are just repeating what someone else told them. I did this too once.

I couldn't hear an ounce of difference without my computer DAC and a good amp.

Right now i'm using all stock cables. Double Helix offers some differences, but it seems to make the HD-600 less warm sounding.
Sometimes headphones are actually WORSE with upgraded cables. The ALO SXC was nice on the Q701..at first. Then I started to hate it.
It just made it even more revealing and analytical. Everything sounded thinner and much more distant. Don't have a clue why.

I think the differences are due to capacitance. The HD-600 seems to sound best (IMO) with a low capacitance wire such as Belden 1192A or similar.
I HATE the Sennheisers with Canare.

A DIY recable would cost less than $30. $20 of that is in the Cardas plugs.

BTW IMO a headphone cable has never made more than say a 5% difference/improvement. The biggest difference i've ever heard was when I recabled my HD-598 straight to the drivers with cheap Mogami.
It's probably just because the stock wiring is very very thin. Who knows. Actually maybe the 5% is a bit off, since I'd probably hate the Q701 with a silver cable. Even silver plated copper was bad.

So basically the biggest difference is how bright/warm the sound of a headphone will be. Very minor differences. I can see how using a silver cable with the HD-650 could "Wow" some people into thinking it's so much better.
I imagine silver would make the 650 less fuller sounding and a lot thinner. Not sure why. Isn't silver a low capacitance wire?

Spending $30 on a DIY cable upgrade is a fun project. Making an HD-600 cable is actually way easier than making one for the Q701 with those awful mini-XLR plugs.
I did this once and that's what got me interested in making my own cables. I prefer Monoprice and Mogami
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,295 of 23,486
Quote:

If you can solder and rebraid, or you know someone who can, use these :

Cable - around $11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-FT-BULK-CANARE-L-4E6S-L4E6S-STARQUAD-MIC-MICROPHONE-CABLE-21G-BLACK-FASTSHIP-/271019465208?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f1a04d9f8

Pins (headphone side termination) - around $12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD650-HD600-HD580-HD25-DIY-Pin-Connector-Pair-Gold-Plated-/121003502171?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c2c5eea5b

6.3mm plug - around $5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Neutrik-Rean-NYS228BG-1-4-Inch-Stereo-TRS-Plug-6-3mm-3-Pole-/251195320425?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a7c686869

Quote:
And for people afraid of pads getting worn, why don't you stuff a tissue or a cable beneath the pads?

Before my new pads arrived I tried fluffing up when I replaced the crumbling foam cover with panty hose. Basically I cut more pantyhose than needed and tried to get them thich enough at the pad mount, but then if it was, it won't lock in place.

Or do you mean cutting open the padding itself and stuffing tissue or fabric in there? I'm dropping by a friend's upholstery shop this weekend to see if he can salvage the plastic frame on my old pads by cutting out the velour and mounting fresh, firm, furniture-quality foam on it. We figure it'd be ugly but just for the sake of seeing what can be done using spare foam we're gonna do this over beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back