Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #9,961 of 23,486
  I can't wait to try the LCD2 :)

I was just quoted $799 for a brand new bamboo pair, but I might wait a few months. I'm really enjoying my 600's atm anyway, so why rush it? 

What are you gonna pair 'em with amp/DAC-wise?

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #9,962 of 23,486
  I can't wait to try the LCD2 :)

I was just quoted $799 for a brand new bamboo pair, but I might wait a few months. I'm really enjoying my 600's atm anyway, so why rush it? 

Not sure resisting the upgradeitis and hanging on so tightly to your wallet is OK by forum rules... I might have to report you to the mods.

beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #9,963 of 23,486

What are you gonna pair 'em with amp/DAC-wise?

Lyr 2 w/ 74' Reflektor SWGP greys. My DAC is a high end sound card, Titanium HD, but I'm also in the market for a Bifrost uber or Emotiva Stealth DC-1.. havn't decided yet.

Not sure resisting the upgradeitis and hanging on so tightly to your wallet is OK by forum rules... I might have to report you to the mods.

beerchug.gif

Don't give me too much credit.. Over christmas break I bought a Lyr 2, a good pair of tubes, HD600's, supplies to make a custom cable for the 600's, supplies to make an amp switch... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #9,964 of 23,486
  Lyr 2 w/ 74' Reflektor SWGP greys. My DAC is a high end sound card, Titanium HD, but I'm also in the market for a Bifrost uber or Emotiva Stealth DC-1.. havn't decided yet.

Nice. I had a Lyr with the 1977 Vohksod greys and a V-DAC. 

My memory of that setup was mostly that it filled in the sub-bass and the very highs. If you aren't often lamenting tones under 50Hz or that your super high treble isn't sparkly enough I don't know if I'd suggest the purchase.

Again, the LCD-2 is a freaking phenomenal headphone, that setup is still the absolute best my ears have heard so far, but would I spend the money for it again? I really don't think. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #9,965 of 23,486

Nice. I had a Lyr with the 1977 Vohksod greys and a V-DAC. 

My memory of that setup was mostly that it filled in the sub-bass and the very highs. If you aren't often lamenting tones under 50Hz or that your super high treble isn't sparkly enough I don't know if I'd suggest the purchase.

Again, the LCD-2 is a freaking phenomenal headphone, that setup is still the absolute best my ears have heard so far, but would I spend the money for it again? I really don't think. 

It is quite an investment. I want to at least give them a try, though. It's worth losing a couple hundred if I have to resell them just to know what it's like. Ideally, I'd like to audition them first but I don't really have that opportunity. 

At least, that's how I feel. Do you regret spending the money to try em out?

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #9,966 of 23,486
  It is quite an investment. I want to at least give them a try, though. It's worth losing a couple hundred if I have to resell them just to know what it's like. Ideally, I'd like to audition them first but I don't really have that opportunity. 

At least, that's how I feel. Do you regret spending the money to try em out?

Not in the slightest, but then I'm definitely a guy who keeps buying/selling. I'd chill around the used section and see what people are selling. You find a lot, and I mean a lot, of LCD-2 owners looking to sell theirs so they can bankroll a set of LCD-3's. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #9,967 of 23,486
Anyone else paranoid about the HD600 boxes not being sealed when bought brand new? How do we know for sure we're getting a 100% brand new headphone? My new set from Adorama came in and the thought popped in my head, lol. So far everything looks alright but I notice the black cloth on the earpads aren't completely black, and my previous set of HD600's had a white QC sticker on the inside right headband that this one doesn't.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #9,968 of 23,486
Not to be spammy and all, but, a day or so ago, I mentioned my experience with my ear pads detrimentally affecting the sound quality. They were about as flat as the pictures on the webpage I linked. Can anyone attest to this?

Also, does anyone have experience refilling their ear pads with memory foam? I want to do this mod and I just want to be sure I do it right, being aware of any gotchas or hidden steps that need mentioning before I go in head first.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #9,969 of 23,486
  Anyone else paranoid about the HD600 boxes not being sealed when bought brand new? How do we know for sure we're getting a 100% brand new headphone? My new set from Adorama came in and the thought popped in my head, lol. So far everything looks alright but I notice the black cloth on the earpads aren't completely black, and my previous set of HD600's had a white QC sticker on the inside right headband that this one doesn't.

Someone snuck in and stole my HD600's last night and replaced them with an exact replica.  You gotta watch out.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #9,972 of 23,486
So, I've been running my HD600s with a LH GeekOut 450 since I got them right before Christmas, and have been very happy (and impressed) with them, but this week I ordered a Modi 2 Uber and a Valhalla 2. I've heard that OTL Triode amplifiers do wonders with Senns, so I am really anxious to try this pairing out on some nicely mastered 24/192 content. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #9,973 of 23,486
I've noticed that when I sort of peruse headphone forums and websites, there is an oddly high number of people with all these high-end amplifiers and sources hooked up with HD600/650. Happens on Reddit a lot. I used to wonder why people would be spending all that money on the big pieces of hardware but then stick mid-level headphones on there. Well, I think I know now. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #9,974 of 23,486
I've got my HD600 paired with the Schiit uber stack and for me the setup just doesn't do it, its just not as detailed as I wanted it to be. Eyeing the HD800s next, which sounds more along the lines of the detail I'm looking for.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #9,975 of 23,486
  I've noticed that when I sort of peruse headphone forums and websites, there is an oddly high number of people with all these high-end amplifiers and sources hooked up with HD600/650. Happens on Reddit a lot. I used to wonder why people would be spending all that money on the big pieces of hardware but then stick mid-level headphones on there. Well, I think I know now. 

You said you got rid of your Lyr, right? What did you replace it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back