Sennheiser HD 600 vs 660s for someone that likes 650/6XX
Feb 12, 2023 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Ridonculous

New Head-Fier
I have the 6XX and I really like the sound profile. I also have the 58X Jubilee and I don't really like it. I also have the 560s and although I like the soundstage, they aren't warm at all. I'd like to buy another set of cans I don't know which I'd like.

I like warmer sounds and I listen to a wide array of music, like Natalie Merchant, Leonard Cohen, Arcade Fire, Instrumentals, and even pop and R&B. Given my inclination for the 6XX, should I go for the 600 or 660?

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 41
The 600 sounds similar to the 6xx without the midbass bump. If you want a similar sound to the 6xx, you might consider the ZMF Atticus. Like the 6xx on steroids.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 41
The 600 sounds similar to the 6xx without the midbass bump. If you want a similar sound to the 6xx, you might consider the ZMF Atticus. Like the 6xx on steroids.
Sorry, I should've specified the price. Ideally, max would be $300. Since the HD 660 s2 came out, Sennheiser is heavily discounting the 660s. At the moment, they're $300 just about everywhere.

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 41
Gotcha....

I have not heard either of the HD660s so I can't advise, but if you like that midbass thump on the 6xx I'd avoid the HD600. Maybe something like the Meze 99 Classics. Warm and thumpy.

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 41
Feb 13, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 41
The hd660s isn't a big enough difference from what you've got. If you want a change of pace, the Hifiman he400i or He5xx would be fun, and both take EQ well if you want to customize it.
If by warmth do you mean treble rolloff or more bass?
I'm relatively new to the audiophile world so excuse me if my terminology is not correct but I'll try to describe it as best as I can.

I suppose a bit of both. If you're familiar with the 560s, the opposite of that! To me, the 6XX are just very calming, smooth to listen to. The 6XX allow me to listen to almost every type of music and enjoy it. They have enough bass but not too much - the 58X I felt was too bass-y. But the vocals are clear but not in an analytical way like the 560s.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 41
Feb 13, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 41
From this post by @dunring mentioning that the Sabaj A20h plays louder from its balanced output than single-ended output:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sabaj-a20h-balanced-headphone-amplifier.963610/#post-17208230

You will need to get a 4.4mm balanced cable to get the most loudness from the HE-5XX and HD6XX:

https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Repla...1e-2bdc33f0f59b&pd_rd_i=B09GNFSTWD&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Sennh...23-a980-2d7e943ef8ce&pd_rd_i=B09XQQGFK5&psc=1

Here is also a nifty 3’ 4-pin-xlr extension cable that alleviates the disadvantage of having the headphone outputs in the back of a Sabaj A20h:

https://www.amazon.com/CESS-193-3fx...016-4cda-b66a-fe1ccdba69a5&pd_rd_i=B09QZX2JBD

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 41
I have a FiiO K5 Pro ESS. I just bought that a few months ago. I don't know if this is the right term but I'm looking for an endgame can that I can use and never be disappointed with. I don't know if I have to get the HD800 for that but I would have to save up for a long time to justify buying it. Not sure if 6XX / 650 / 660s would be enough for now.

Feb 13, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 41
I'm looking for an endgame can that I can use and never be disappointed with. I don't know if I have to get the HD800 for that but I would have to save up for a long time to justify buying it.
If you enjoy the warm and relaxed sound of the HD6xx you can safely forget about the HD800. They sound nothing alike. Again if you're wanting to move out of midfi and into end game territory, you'll want to check out some of the ZMF headphones for that warm, highly musical sound.

Something else that you may consider is getting an OTL amp for your HD6xx, which will take the sound of the 6xx to the next level.

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 41
If you enjoy the warm and relaxed sound of the HD6xx you can safely forget about the HD800. They sound nothing alike. Again if you're wanting to move out of midfi and into end game territory, you'll want to check out some of the ZMF headphones for that warm, highly musical sound.

Something else that you may consider is getting an OTL amp for your HD6xx, which will take the sound of the 6xx to the next level.

I came across many people saying the same thing about the HD 600. Pairing it with a tube amp makes a lot of difference. Okay, I'll look into it. I looked at Schiit but they were quite expensive (compared to FiiO).

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 41
I came across many people saying the same thing about the HD 600. Pairing it with a tube amp makes a lot of difference. Okay, I'll look into it. I looked at Schiit but they were quite expensive (compared to FiiO).
I would recommend a Bottlehead amp for the HD6xx, which is a great bang for the buck amp if you have any soldering skills. If not, there are sellers on Etsy that sell pre built Bottleheads. If you want to keep the sound warm and romantic, avoid the Crack version of the Bottlehead, which will save you some $ anyways.

If you want to move a bit further up the OTL food chain, the La Figaro 339 is a good sounding amp for relatively little cash. Above that there is the Woo Audio WA2.

Regardless of which amp you chose have some cash set aside for tube upgrades. Stock tubes on amps are barely viable and usually sound pretty awful. One of the cool things about the Bottlehead is they use less tubes than the 339 and WA2, which again, saves you money.

Also keep in mind that all of those amps sound best with high impedance headphones, like your 6xx.

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 41
Another question, any reason to buy the 650 if I already have the 6XX?

I have a FiiO K5 Pro ESS. I just bought that a few months ago. I don't know if this is the right term but I'm looking for an endgame can that I can use and never be disappointed with. I don't know if I have to get the HD800 for that but I would have to save up for a long time to justify buying it. Not sure if 6XX / 650 / 660s would be enough for now.

As your profile says New York, why not demo at a store or the upcoming CanJam show

What the above poster wrote. HD650 and 6XX are the same headphone. 660S is being discounted as the 660S2 is now newly released. The HD600 and HD650 are worth demoing side-by-side as it is a matter of taste and system synergy which the listener prefers, despite the HD650 having a "higher number"

It might just be you are looking for a different sound profile from the Sennheiser HD6__ series. Or end up being happy with what you have on trying what is out there

Fiio is a 'specification manufacturer' in that you know what you are getting at a competitive price. Would demo your existing headphones on another source before buying a new headphone. Only thing worse than side-grading with your hard earned is down-grading. I would be patient with the wallet and demo in person when you can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back