Sennheiser HD 600?
Nov 6, 2017 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AbigailXD

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I need some advice. My boyfriend is really into music and vinyl and stuff (not like in the weird hipster way). He and his entire family are incredibly musically gifted and I, on the other hand, know less than nothing about music.

Like most people who enjoy music on a higher level, he is very into audio equipment. He has some B&W speakers that, and an incredible sound system. But I want to get him some headphones. I heard that the Sennheiser HD 600's are really great open back headphones.

So I am thinking about getting him these for Christmas. Do you have an opinion on the HD 600's?

You are welcome to suggest something else but I would really appreciate advice on these headphones.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 12
Budget will be your key governing factor. How much do you want to spend? Also do you have any idea of how he likes his kit to sound (warm, neutral etc)?

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 12
Hello,

Does he have a headphone amp already? He obviously has an amp for his speakers but it may not have a headphone output. An amp is definitely required for these headphones.

The HD600 are as good a starting point as any. The main alternative would actually the Sennheiser HD650 which basically has less treble and more bass than the HD600. The main reason to choose between the 2 is which sound you prefer. Most people seem to prefer the HD650. Both headphones can be found for good as new, 2nd hand for roughly £200/$250 or less. I think additional suggestions at this stage would only add confusion.

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 12
The HD600 are a very good starting point into this hobby, parts are easily replaceable and available too meaning years of service will come from them.

Just make sure the amp he's using has a headphone output :D

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 12
That should work! I think 600 or 650 is a great gift for anybody who loves music. It comes down to relatively small differences in sound. I prefer to have the extra bit of low end, so the 650 is my pick. I also think the 650 looks better, but the 600 seems to have a more comfortable headband.

My vote is 650 but the real decision is probably going to be made over the unnecessary price difference :p

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 12
I also find the 650 works really well with vinyl. It brings out some good emotion in the music and I felt very attached to the songs when listening to records with the 650

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Either of those headphones are tried and tested awesome

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 12
I would opt for the HD650 or LCD-2,both of which have warm-ish sound,which mirrors the also warm B&W speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back