Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Nov 12, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #691 of 737
No shortage of base here....
https://tidal.com/browse/user/166283024
Was this an attempt at a Beats-killer?
They are and they do...at least from what I've heard today so far......but then I've never heard Beats so take my comment with a grain of salt.
"Specifically developed for the HD 630VB, Sennheiser’s proprietary high-performance transducer is the “heart” of this model. It delivers the power for an intense bass experience"
So far these appear to live up to their promise.
:L3000:

Just to add..and maybe just the "new toy" syndrome but believe I haven't heard low deep base this way since my Audeze LCD-2s.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #692 of 737
You can see the gummy rubber here, will try a little alcohol maybe...these were pristine out of the box.

yikes, yeah definitely not like that

Was this an attempt at a Beats-killer?

From what I remember the beats I've heard had more of a forgiving bassy/downsloping sound, even if you max out bass on 630 it's still fairly bright (something like a v or u shape I guess), min bass isn't too far north of a neutral-bright type of sound IMO.

If it weren't for the control panel, design & price-wise I'd have guessed they were aiming for the Bowers & Wilkins-esque "lifestyle hi-fi" zone (just as almost everything in it was going wireless), but they've since repurposed the chassis without the controls for Neumann headphones which are marketed for studio and 'pro-sumer' use.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #693 of 737
yikes, yeah definitely not like that

From what I remember the beats I've heard had more of a forgiving bassy/downsloping sound, even if you max out bass on 630 it's still fairly bright (something like a v or u shape I guess), min bass isn't too far north of a neutral-bright type of sound IMO.

What I've found so far with HD630 when even playing base heavy tracks that go pretty low , sub woofer territory like on the Tidal playlist I've posted...the HD630 doesn't lose it's composure, everything is still clear and distinct without any noticeable distortion....maintaining I guess one could say it's "audiophile pedigree". So IMHO the driver is indeed quite good, believe my Focal Elegia may soon be looking for a new home. lol
And as I noted earlier the very low base which is very present does not appear to be affected by the dial, only that which is in range of 50hrz, give or take.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #694 of 737
So a good day discovering a new older (well not that old just discontinued) headphone, besides the gummy wheel and the fixed and too short cable not a bad closed back headphone, definitely worth its current pricing new, so far up there with the HD600 line in terms of its abilities, totally deferent signature though, so not a closed back HD650 or 660S, just a different beast, clearer brighter (possible too much for some), so more extended at both ends with sub base to boot. : )
Keeper, still not too sure.

Those needing a longer cable, this extension works fine and it terminates in 1/4". :thumbsup:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PRW9BNN

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #695 of 737
hd660 : 630.jpg
Hard to get the levels just right, but obviously 2 very different headphones, construction/design and sound signatures which makes comparisons futile IMHO as once one gets adjusted to one the other sounds off or better depending on the music. The 660S cannot compete on the low deep base while the 630 lacks any kind of lushness and warmth.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #696 of 737
...a few more thoughts..believe the 630 is definitely a candidate for pad rolling or wool (not synthetic) felt ring inserts to tame the highs...theory is one can subtract from something already there but not add to something that is not : )

Note..I'm not a fan of EQ, digitally or analogue as that changes the electrical signal altering the original waveform and not the physical properties, charecteristics of the actual headphone.
A parametric equalizer may be used on occasion but altering the original audio is IMHO best left to the studio during mastering.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #697 of 737
believe the 630 is definitely a candidate for pad rolling or wool (not synthetic) felt ring inserts to tame the highs...theory is one can subtract from something already there but not add to something that is not : )

Can you elaborate a little more on wool felt ring inserts and where I might procure some? I have the 630VB and my ears tell me taming the highs would be kind to them. 😅

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #698 of 737
...a few more thoughts..believe the 630 is definitely a candidate for pad rolling or wool (not synthetic) felt ring inserts to tame the highs...theory is one can subtract from something already there but not add to something that is not : )

Lol...almost 20 years later feel like I've gone full circle.....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akg-240df-mod.51514/#post-588932

Anyway here's a preliminary stab at modding...as opposed to a full ring just started applying sectional pieces, 50% coverage so far appears to tame the brightness just enough.

wool .JPGfelt wool.JPG

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #699 of 737

Note..I'm not a fan of EQ, digitally or analogue as that changes the electrical signal altering the original waveform and not the physical properties, charecteristics of the actual headphone.
A parametric equalizer may be used on occasion but altering the original audio is IMHO best left to the studio during mastering.
Neumann has already reworked this design and the new diaphragm perfectly, tuned them perfectly and gave super low and detailed bass with excellent frequency response.
It does not require an equalizer and other obsessive worries :)
You love the black color and balanced cable, great soft memory foam earpads - just buy this and enjoy the maximum of closed modern cans.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1714529-REG/neumann_399003_ndh_20_black_edition.html
https://www.thomann.de/intl/neumann_ndh_20_black_edition.htm

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #700 of 737
Can you elaborate a little more on wool felt ring inserts and where I might procure some? I have the 630VB and my ears tell me taming the highs would be kind to them. 😅
I shall have to look around but years ago it was a common procedure to calm and control frequencies on speakers, especially tweeters.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 12.29.56 PM.png
Natural wool absorbs vibrations and converts it to heat where as synthetics do not. and work better as a diffuser which is not what we wish to accomplish.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #702 of 737
You can see the gummy rubber here, will try a little alcohol maybe...these were pristine out of the box.
As I'm starting to really like these phones thought I'd take things into my own hands and got out the Citrusolve to remove the gooey rubber....

eh voila! ...again these where in a factory sealed box and If these were at full retail they would have immediately gone back. :triportsad: More plastic like now, but fine.
rubber 2.JPG

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #703 of 737
A felt/fabric disc is exactly what Beyer has done with the Pro X and the Tygr, the difference is Beyers felt disc at least looks a little more elaborated:

beyerdynamic-dt-900-pro-x-driver.jpg

I really like my DT900 Pro X, it sounds similar to the Sennheiser HD600 but with better bass slam/punch and a tad more brilliant treble. Oh, and very easy to drive, no need for an external headphone amp. Makes them universally usable.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #705 of 737
Continuing to have more fun with this headphone as it is indeed open to mods and has given me a number of WOW moments.
Felt the felt (pun intended) didn't really achieve too much if anything and seeing that Neumann appear to have added a thicker filter thought I'd try that route.
An incredibly cheap and easy mode that appears to work taming the top end without noticeable attenuation is using some paper towel (sorry don't remember the brand name, may have been Bounty).. :)
Could be all psychoacoustic, a figment of my imagination but image separation and definition has also improved greatly, believe we've got a winner hear. :thumbsup:
The improvement is quite noticeable on listening to Agnes Obel, vocals were previously a bit too hot IMHO and the mix didn't come across quit right on many tracks.
paper.jpeg
...and oddly..reading more reviews on the Neumann NDH-20 I could almost substitute after my initial observations the words HD630...hhhhmmm????

Although Zeos ( I quite often agree on many of his assessments) did find them totally different...."The Worst Sennheiser"
Again could all be down to psychoacoustics as to his immediate dislike of the cable and the Smartphone friendly embellishments. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back