Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,561 of 6,793
I wonder if that's why the early pre-facelifted HD 660 S I had fatigued me to such levels and I remember it's treble getting annoying with extended listening. I briefly auditioned a different pre-facelifted HD 660 S a while later on and the same fatigue happened. The newer one I tried with the current mold wasn’t as fatiguing to my ears and didn't get grating in the treble.
Not sure when the changes happened, but prior to the facelift for sure. I suspect fairly early on after the initial reports of the treble being overly bright (probably in an effort to finally banish the dreaded ‘veil’ reputation) and grainy. They may have gone too far the other way in making it darker and smooth, but I actually really like it.
I find the original 660S the most transparent, clean, revealing and un-fatiguing headphone in the 6 series. Well, not less fatiguing than the 650, but at times that can be plain soporific! And now of course some people are saying of the S2 that ‘finally the treble is back’! 😂

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,562 of 6,793
Sorry to ask, but is the 800S a safe bet too? I'll probably go with the Neumann, as its cheaper.
I also have tinnitus, got it from a nasty viral illness a few years back and it decided to stay for good :frowning2:

The HD800s do not bother my tinnitus. The Sundara do depending on what I'm listening to. I can't really listen to them for extended periods because their treble eventually gets fatiguing for me.

The 660s2 don't bother me in the slightest. Can listen for hours.

Back on topic, I mentioned Chvrches earlier as being a great listen on the S2. They just released a new track and it sounds phenomenal on them.

Obviously find the song on your preferred listening app (tidal, spotify, etc) for better quality. Wasn't sure how to link that here.

The 80s synth vibe sounds SO GOOD on the S2. That bass extension is yummy.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,564 of 6,793
Feb 24, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #1,565 of 6,793
Except this is how most people buy pretty much everything, not just headphones: They choose a price bracket, and compare the options.

Nobody would cross-shop a Mercedes S Class with a Toyota Avalon, even if there's a comparison to be made on some specs or merits. Nobody would cross-shop a designer leather jacket with a vinyl lookalike from Walmart. Etc. Etc. Etc.
I’m talking about headphones, not cars or clothes. There are ‘lower scale’ headphones that, to many ears, can compete with much more expensive ones for their preferences.
The first batches were. I had an early pair that sounded grainy as hell. The 660S sold now is a far cry from what it sounded like when it first released.
Mine was early. I had it before Tyll’s review and agreed with his findings.
This is why I'm still waiting for that S2 vs NDH 30 comparison as this is the most logical comparison. Unless of course that there is a non spoken rule of not comparing the two as not even a single reviewer (YT) has dared to put two in one sentence yet lol :L3000:
This would be a good midrange comparison. The all important midrange.

Which seems to be a forgotten entity. There was a common (and rightly so) belief that if the midrange was skewed, nothing else mattered. I truly believe this. Most of the music fundamentals lie in the midrange.

I wish reviewers would use that as a standard. If a headphone has a problem in the mids, toss it aside and move on to something else. At least if the proper reproduction of music is still a priority. Fun, slam, soundstage and bass extension seem to be the priority these days.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,566 of 6,793
Not sure when the changes happened, but prior to the facelift for sure. I suspect fairly early on after the initial reports of the treble being overly bright (probably in an effort to finally banish the dreaded ‘veil’ reputation) and grainy. They may have gone too far the other way in making it darker and smooth, but I actually really like it.
I find the original 660S the most transparent, clean, revealing and un-fatiguing headphone in the 6 series. Well, not less fatiguing than the 650, but at times that can be plain soporific! And now of course some people are saying of the S2 that ‘finally the treble is back’! 😂
But not grainy! Lol

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,568 of 6,793
I’m talking about headphones, not cars or clothes. There are ‘lower scale’ headphones that, to many ears, can compete with much more expensive ones for their preferences.
Maybe I'm an anomoly, but here's how it typically works for me:
  1. An unsatisfied itch emerges. E.g. "hey, I think I'd like to add a dynamic open-back with great timbre and midrange to my collection"
  2. Through various factors, I choose a price range. E.g. CAD $500-750
  3. I enter a vortex of research trying to decide which options I like best given the above conditions
  4. Click buy (and time the delivery so that it arrives on a day when my wife won't see the package come)
If at any point in the above process, another much cheaper option emerges, it typically falls into the "impulse buy" bucket (again, not so impulsive that the delivery will be noticed and raise questions). But the original plan is still in play - I'm still looking for the most satisfying DDs I think $750 will get me.

Don't get me wrong: I love a good hidden gem and I do believe there are overpriced and underpriced headphones in the market, but once I've decided I've got $X to spend, that money is gonna spend.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #1,569 of 6,793
Also the HD660S2 sound very nostalgic as one pointed out - Reminds me of old hifi gear - warm and bold. No digital glare etc.
Well there is that, while listening to some jazz I was indeed getting that nostalgia.....reminded me when visiting Stereo Shops (remember those) and there would always be this one room where you just wanted to sit down and listen, well I'm getting that from the S2. : )

Again, I cannot say enough about the timbre and tonal color, it just sounds so correct, no tinting of blue or red, very very neutral IMHO.
With Dave Holland's "Dream of the Elders", the whole album is very good but a few phones have problems getting the cymbals right, no such problems here.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/13470919
https://listen.tidal.com/artist/4483222
https://tidal.com/browse/artist/3676738

Kraftwerk "Tour de France", well not really the S2's forte, where I can recommend the S2 hands down without reservation for jazz a pair of Audeze would probably would be required to getting the full impact of the track "Aerodynamik" or "Elektro Kardiogramm" and even then........
https://listen.tidal.com/album/3131398

"Techno Pop" is relatively fine though....: )
https://tidal.com/browse/album/33268979

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #1,570 of 6,793

Mine was early. I had it before Tyll’s review and agreed with his findings.

This would be a good midrange comparison. The all important midrange.

Which seems to be a forgotten entity. There was a common (and rightly so) belief that if the midrange was skewed, nothing else mattered. I truly believe this. Most of the music fundamentals lie in the midrange.

I wish reviewers would use that as a standard. If a headphone has a problem in the mids, toss it aside and move on to something else. At least if the proper reproduction of music is still a priority. Fun, slam, soundstage and bass extension seem to be the priority these days.
People here don’t care about midrange - hence why most of the TOTL cans marketed here have incorrect midrange and require EQ to sound natural and correct: Utopia, Susvara, HEK, LCD5, CRBN, 009, Stealth (I can’t get a good seal so YMMV), 1266, Diana, D8000. But there is good news HE-1 has an amazing midrange.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,571 of 6,793
They're absolutely phenomenal, enjoy. On a totally different level than every other headphone I've tried in my life.
"Totally different level Than every other headphone in my life". What were one or two of the best of the other one's? Just curious what your are comparing to.

Thanks

Leo

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,572 of 6,793
People here don’t care about midrange - hence why most of the TOTL cans marketed here have incorrect midrange and require EQ to sound natural and correct:
I call it Audioshopping. lol : )

But when one really gives it some thought very few manufactures have literally decades of R&D and the facilities et al that is required like Sennheiser in developing the dynamic driver/membranes for microphones and headphones that can reliably reproduce those vibrations required for that all important midrange.
May look simple enough but it's far from it.
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 12.04.04 PM.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #1,573 of 6,793
"Totally different level Than every other headphone in my life". What were one or two of the best of the other one's? Just curious what your are comparing to.

Thanks

Leo
I borrowed the Clears for an extended time, and while they were great the 800s are on a different level.

Best is subjective but for me it would be the Sundara and 6xx/660s/660s2

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,574 of 6,793
I call it Audioshopping. lol : )

But when one really gives it some thought very few manufactures have literally decades of R&D and the facilities et al that is required like Sennheiser in developing the dynamic driver/membranes for microphones and headphones that can reliably reproduce those vibrations required for that all important midrange.
May look simple enough but it's far from it.
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 12.04.04 PM.png
That is very true. Honestly dynamic drivers from older companies often just sound better to me. Honestly found EQ can’t make some of the other drivers sound right to me. There is a reason I stick with the old guard such Senn, Beyer, AKG, AT, etc. for dynamic driver headphones. Seems dynamic drivers are an absolute pain to get right.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,575 of 6,793
People here don’t care about midrange - hence why most of the TOTL cans marketed here have incorrect midrange and require EQ to sound natural and correct: Utopia, Susvara, HEK, LCD5, CRBN, 009, Stealth (I can’t get a good seal so YMMV), 1266, Diana, D8000. But there is good news HE-1 has an amazing midrange.
That's pretty sad isn't it? But then, the recordings today are just as buggered up sonically so who could tell anyway?

I like the musician in this thread topic who knows how things should sound and has his own reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back