Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #3,526 of 6,740
I still need to hear a genre where the 660S2 doesn’t sound great. :)
I aggre, very universal-sounding headphones. That's why I like them and I don't see any reason to buy more expensive headphones. Before I had Aeon 2 Noire, Ether Flow 1.1, Erzetich Phobos, Denon D9200, Hifiman Arya V3. Those are gorgeus headphones in some genre but in some they just sound bad. I sold them all and stay with HD660S2 for they universal sound signature.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #3,527 of 6,740
Great, I look forward to your future impressions. How much less dry and shrill would you say the S2 is than the original? Would you say it's moderately less so, or closer to just noticeable?
So far I find it noticeably less dry. This is a nice change as I often found Senns can be a bit more on the dry side than I like. They also don’t have any hint of hardness or glare that I sometimes find on more fluid sounding headphones.

Apr 24, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #3,528 of 6,740
Another published review...(didn't see it posted)

https://www.stereonet.com/sg/reviews/sennheiser-hd-660s2-over-ear-headphones-review

Punch line...

"THE VERDICT

Another great pair of headphones from Sennheiser, the HD 660S2 ticks all the boxes in terms of sound quality, build and overall ease of use. It may not be the world’s most dramatically styled design, or the most lavishly finished, but its sheer all round quality more than makes up for this. Better still, it’s positioned at an affordable price point that makes it hard to justify the existence of headphones with silly prices."

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #3,529 of 6,740
I aggre, very universal-sounding headphones. That's why I like them and I don't see any reason to buy more expensive headphones. Before I had Aeon 2 Noire, Ether Flow 1.1, Erzetich Phobos, Denon D9200, Hifiman Arya V3. Those are gorgeus headphones in some genre but in some they just sound bad. I sold them all and stay with HD660S2 for they universal sound signature.
Can you summarize sound comparison be the S2 and 9200? I thought the 9200 was pretty good, but I found them uncomfortable.

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #3,530 of 6,740
Can you summarize sound comparison be the S2 and 9200? I thought the 9200 was pretty good, but I found them uncomfortable.

It would be hard because I had them about one year ago so can't make a direct comparison. Also I don't remember them well - since I sold D9200 I had about 15 other models :wink: Of course they are pretty good and well-balanced, but for me maybe even too well :wink: And as you say they are not so comfortable and this is also a reason why I sold them.

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #3,531 of 6,740
If I'm looking for a headphone that would suit rock/metal more than my current HD650 (which I feel is a little too subdued/lacks forwardness), would the HD660S2 a good choice? I like the HD650 for the looks and comfort, so if the sound element of the 660S2 would be an improvement for my needs it could work out well.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #3,532 of 6,740
If I'm looking for a headphone that would suit rock/metal more than my current HD650 (which I feel is a little too subdued/lacks forwardness), would the HD660S2 a good choice? I like the HD650 for the looks and comfort, so if the sound element of the 660S2 would be an improvement for my needs it could work out well.
For me that's a big yes. I own both the 650 and S2, and i also find the 650 a bit too soft and laid back for rock/metal. The S2 is much faster, is more dynamic, with harder hitting transients, and more air and presence up top. Overall I have found the S2 to be an excellent match for rock/metal with it's speed and overall engaging/fun tuning. I actually seek it out quite often for those genres. For example I've been digesting Metallica's new album, and so far my favorite headphones for it are the S2 and Atrium Closed. I like the S2 for it's complete package, it does everything very well with no major weaknesses. The AC isn't as balanced from a macro standpoint, but ups the fun factor and dynamics a few notches, making it a massive kick in the balls for metal (in a good way!).

EDIT - I see you have an Eikon in your lineup. I would say it's pretty similar to the Eikon with a bit more speed. But same warm hard hitting dynamics and engaging tuning. It might also be a bit redundant with the Eikon though. If you don't mind that, it's worth a listen IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #3,533 of 6,740
For me that's a big yes. I own both the 650 and S2, and i also find the 650 a bit too soft and laid back for rock/metal. The S2 is much faster, is more dynamic, with harder hitting transients, and more air and presence up top. Overall I have found the S2 to be an excellent match for rock/metal with it's speed and overall engaging/fun tuning. I actually seek it out quite often for those genres. For example I've been digesting Metallica's new album, and so far my favorite headphones for it are the S2 and Atrium Closed. I like the S2 for it's complete package, it does everything very well with no major weaknesses. The AC isn't as balanced from a macro standpoint, but ups the fun factor and dynamics a few notches, making it a massive kick in the balls for metal (in a good way!).

EDIT - I see you have an Eikon in your lineup. I would say it's pretty similar to the Eikon with a bit more speed. But same warm hard hitting dynamics and engaging tuning. It might also be a bit redundant with the Eikon though. If you don't mind that, it's worth a listen IMO.

Thanks for this, I think you might have convinced me to pick one up. I actually don't have an Eikon anymore, I sold it as it was too heavy for my neck. That's another reason I like the HD650, super light.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #3,534 of 6,740
16823674798738312532148693123110.jpg

This sounds just plain awesome on the HD660S2.
Btw. to me this is one of the finest, if not the finest Rock piece I ever came across. I know it since 41 years now.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #3,536 of 6,740
Be careful!

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #3,537 of 6,740

I've also been really impressed with how well the HD660S2 handle Metal music. I've found that the HD660S2 offer a more lively and dynamic sound compared to my HD6XX, which can sometimes sound sleepy and sluggish when listening to Metal music.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #3,540 of 6,740

Users who are viewing this thread

Back