Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #6,061 of 6,742
HD_660S2_FC05.png

How do you one-up a line of legends?

Some of the most neutral headphones in the world are a tough act to follow.
As far back as the HD 580, high-end Sennheiser headphones have inspired generations with their
balanced, natural reproduction. Recognized as benchmarks for neutral audiophile sound, the HD 600, HD
650, and HD 660S all share visible and audible DNA with the HD 66052. The revised coil of the S2, for
instance, now matches the 300-ohm impedance of the legendary HD 600 & HD 650. This new coil also
provides higher magnetic force and electrical dampening for cleaner impulse response.

The surround is now more compliant, too, dropping the resonant frequency to 70 Hz. Considerable effort
also went into optimizing the airflow around the transducer. There's more sensitivity over the entire
frequency spectrum because the magnet's air gap works more efficiently now. Taken together, these
measures result in even greater precision, speed, and resolution - with double the sound pressure at the
lowest frequencies.

Highlights​

• Open-Back, Dynamic, Over-ear Headphones with High Fidelity sound
  • Ultra-light aluminum voice coil with 300Ω impedance for excellent impulse response
  • Uniquely powerful vented magnet system for minimized distortion
  • Outstanding quality designed in Germany, made in Ireland
  • Intimate and precise yet non-fatiguing sound with great timbre and deep, accurate sub bass
  • Plush ear cushions and open design for maximum comfort

Specifications​

• Transducer Principle: dynamic, open
  • Transducer Size: 38mm
  • Frequency Response: 8 Hz - 41,500 Hz
  • Impedance: 300 Ω
  • Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 104 dB (1V)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0.04% (1 kHz, 100dB)
  • Weight: 9.17 oz (260g)
  • Magnetic field: 2.5 mT
very good!

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #6,062 of 6,742
My pair has become extremely creaky/noisy, just as the HD660s did. There's something about the plastic finish they use which makes this design creak and squeak at the earcup rotation joint. Even slight movements of my jaw, or just small movements of my head cause creaking.

It's pretty annoying and is something I have not experienced on any other Sennheiser I've owned with this design, including 6xx, 650, 600, 58x. It has to be something with the matte finish of the plastic on the 660s/s2.

I guess it's a minor annoyance overall, doesn't keep me from using them as they are absolutely phenomenal sounding.

Anyone else have this issue?

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #6,064 of 6,742
My pair has become extremely creaky/noisy, just as the HD660s did. There's something about the plastic finish they use which makes this design creak and squeak at the earcup rotation joint. Even slight movements of my jaw, or just small movements of my head cause creaking.

It's pretty annoying and is something I have not experienced on any other Sennheiser I've owned with this design, including 6xx, 650, 600, 58x. It has to be something with the matte finish of the plastic on the 660s/s2.

I guess it's a minor annoyance overall, doesn't keep me from using them as they are absolutely phenomenal sounding.

Not at all. I wear them for 6-8 hours per day. I put them on now and moved my head around, opened and closed my jaw, etc. I hear nothing.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #6,065 of 6,742
Not at all. I wear them for 6-8 hours per day. I put them on now and moved my head around, opened and closed my jaw, etc. I hear nothing.
That's so bizarre. I've had it happen with 2 pairs of HD660s, and now with the hd660s2.

I wonder if it's something to do with my head shape?

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #6,068 of 6,742
Or maybe the length you have extended the band? Try adjusting those higher/lower and then wearing it.
You might be onto something. I wear them at 6 clicks on both sides. If I increase to 7 clicks the creaking is 90% gone....but they hang a bit low :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #6,069 of 6,742
You might be onto something. I wear them at 6 clicks on both sides. If I increase to 7 clicks the creaking is 90% gone....but they hang a bit low :frowning2:

Do you pull down all the way so that the foam pads (on the band) touch your head? I generally just let the clamp and earpads hold mine on. The band foam pads just slightly touch my head. Also, did you do any of that artificial adjustments people make where they push out on the metal of the bands or where they use the box to loosen up the clamp? On mine I just let them conform to my head over time, they self adjusted over time.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #6,070 of 6,742
Do you pull down all the way so that the foam pads (on the band) touch your head? I generally just let the clamp and earpads hold mine on. The band foam pads just slightly touch my head. Also, did you do any of that artificial adjustments people make where they push out on the metal of the bands or where they use the box to loosen up the clamp? On mine I just let them conform to my head over time, they self adjusted over time.
I also let my pair loosen naturally, as I do with all of my HD6 series pairs.

Yeah with it at 7 clicks the headband barely touches my head. Earcups feel a bit low (top of ears are at the top of the earpad opening now), but the creaks are gone and I'm getting used to it. Will probably leave it this way. Thanks.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #6,071 of 6,742
109 pro treble can be brightist sometimes in certain song but not in every song. It is not as bright as Hifiman Arya. 109 pro have a lot of colored sound it is fun and engaging it is the reason why i recommend it for EDM because of its fun and engaging coloration also with a little bit stronger punchier mid bass and sub bass with velvety textured bass compared to 660s2. 660s2 have lighter punchy mid bass but not a lot of sub bass. FT5 have perceived strongest thick bloomy rounded bass but the mid is affected also, so the bass bleed into the mid and some might like it some might not. If someone said FT5 have big soundstage i disagree, 660s2 and 109 pro have a bigger soundstage compared to ft5. In this case comparison here price doesnt lie i think 109 is the more resolving one compared to 2 of them. 660s2 have a very nice vocals or midrange without peakiness and a lot of texture and details , if you love vocals 660s2 is a better one imo, all 3 of them are tuned warm. Treble wise 109 is the brightest - 660s2 - ft5 the darkest treble.
Are you sure you used the suede pads on the FT5? The leather pads are give significant smaller soundstage.

I compared the HD660S2, HD650, FT5 and Ananda a week ago. I found the HD660S2 with a gap, the most closed and smallest (in your head) in soundstage, much smaller than a HD650. The FT5 were much much wider and roomier sounding. Maybe it's also because I found the highs of the HD660S2 very artificial/tiring because of the large, sharp 5K dip (and probably spike at 7/8K after).

I found the bass of the HD660S2 also much worse than the HD650. It's very boomy and less subbass.
The HD650 is much smoother and more natural sounding. The bass, despite not going deep, sounds full and warm. The HD660S2 I found boomy/very mid bass focussed. The FT5 being the darkest is true, although it's smooth without large spikes/dips.

The bass of the FT5 isn't comparable, it's true it blooms a bit into the mids, but compared to the HD6 series, it is warm, round and goes deep (like the HD650 but warmer but with really sub-bass). The Ananda I found tighter and punchier.

From soundstage, I found the FT5 nearly as wide as the Ananda, miles ahead of the HD650 and lightyears ahead of the HD660S2

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #6,072 of 6,742
Are you sure you used the suede pads on the FT5? The leather pads are give significant smaller soundstage.

I compared the HD660S2, HD650, FT5 and Ananda a week ago. I found the HD660S2 with a gap, the most closed and smallest (in your head) in soundstage, much smaller than a HD650. The FT5 were much much wider and roomier sounding. Maybe it's also because I found the highs of the HD660S2 very artificial/tiring because of the large, sharp 5K dip (and probably spike at 7/8K after).

I found the bass of the HD660S2 also much worse than the HD650. It's very boomy and less subbass.
The HD650 is much smoother and more natural sounding. The bass, despite not going deep, sounds full and warm. The HD660S2 I found boomy/very mid bass focussed. The FT5 being the darkest is true, although it's smooth without large spikes/dips.

The bass of the FT5 isn't comparable, it's true it blooms a bit into the mids, but compared to the HD6 series, it is warm, round and goes deep (like the HD650 but warmer but with really sub-bass). The Ananda I found tighter and punchier.

From soundstage, I found the FT5 nearly as wide as the Ananda, miles ahead of the HD650 and lightyears ahead of the HD660S2
Likely what you are hearing with the bass differences between the s2 and 650 is that the 650 has more mid bass...or mid bass hump as it is referred to. This will give the 650 an overall warmer tone. The s2 has more true sub bass presence. What you enjoy more will be your perference. "Bloomy" bass with the s2? I just don't hear it.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #6,074 of 6,742

The first time you mentioned that i was sceptical and my apologies for that. Now I have also noticed the cracking from my 660s.

Not from my 660s2 yet but I am not using them much for other reasons.

No crackimg from my abused and so much used 58X.

It is a pitty since i like the new shape and the matte plastics.

But the champion in cracking is the elex.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,075 of 6,742
That's so bizarre. I've had it happen with 2 pairs of HD660s, and now with the hd660s2.

I wonder if it's something to do with my head shape?
Surely not

munster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back