Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #6,091 of 6,780
I also love the 109 pro , it is great with any amp i put it in i can even use affordable dongle and enjoy musics just sad that sometimes the treble can be hot .
I think 660s2 will benefit more from better amplifier that have big voltage or go into another rabbit hole.....Tube amps for high impedance headphone.
it made me jealous that you are getting a pair of empy 2
demoed the OG once and loved them from the first second.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #6,092 of 6,780
I also love the 109 pro , it is great with any amp i put it in i can even use affordable dongle and enjoy musics just sad that sometimes the treble can be hot .
I think 660s2 will benefit more from better amplifier that have big voltage or go into another rabbit hole.....Tube amps for high impedance headphone.
Nono i have not purchase it hahaha. I am that guy who wait for secondary market. I bought my Verite limited also from secondary market for half the price. Verite imo is the direct upgrade to 660s2 in TOTL form for anyone who love 660s2 with more resolving tuning and everything. Also Verite have strong thick punchy bass to sub bass for any genre.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #6,093 of 6,780
Hi does anyone have opinions on the fiio k11 vs the. 7? One is far cheaper and looks miles cooler imho. But what is there to be said of its performance?

I believe both are powerful enough to drive this headphone, but does it necessarily matter that one has THX and the other does not in terms of performance?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #6,095 of 6,780
Hi does anyone have opinions on the fiio k11 vs the. 7? One is far cheaper and looks miles cooler imho. But what is there to be said of its performance?
Keeping in mind an adaptor would be needed to connect it to my laptop
I've also been looking at these. The K7 is much more powerful, but that doesn't mean too much to me as I barely use what most amps have on offer.

The K11 is intriguing because of the display IMO. I like that it has a numerical value for volume. And the unit itself looks nice. Not sure how the cs dac in it compares to akm/ess variants.

K7 is pretty much all you'll ever need, but then again you may not use all it has to offer. I think the K11 will be more than enough for 660s2 for example.

I've never heard a thx amp so unsure how those sound.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #6,096 of 6,780
Hmm interesting. After purchase i just immediately swap to the leather pad because many recommend the leather pad for better details and timbre. Will give it a try later.

Edit: tried suede with FT5 it have more air in the vocals but soundstage is smaller than 660s2. FT5 is still the more intimate some might like it, i know someone who love intimate soundstage for more immersion compared to bigger soundstage. 660s2 is wider and deeper in soundstage no matter what song i throw at it. I compare A/B ing it currently. But yes FT5 still have louder bass.

I want to guess regarding our difference in opinion. What amplifier are you using? You know 660s2 is 300ohm right maybe your amplifier is lacking in voltage or is not pairing well with 660s2. While FT5 is easier to drive overall and most amplifier have enough current for it. From all my gear most high impedance gear are quite sensitive to amplification. My Verite is the most picky gear i know of, the sound change a lot just by changing amplifier.

My ZMF perforated leather pads for hd660s2 has arrived will give some time trying the new pads and comeback later.

Tried it.
ZMF perf lambskin Pads: Added a bit of treble (those who hate treble dont buy this pad), reduce mid bass (ouch) while adding a bit of sub bass(im not a basshead but this headphone bass already lacking in quantity. I dont think pads can save it). The sound overall become smoother less grainy. The timbre become more organic . It become more holographic. Soundstage wise i see no improvement it is the same with the OG pad but overall sound become more detailed maybe because of a bit of low to upper treble increase with this pad. Comfort wise this is a better pad it is so soft and comfortable .

When I tried the FT5, 660S2, 650(new pads) and Ananda out in the shop, they were connected to a FIIO K7 and a external DAC (I didn't remember this one).
So all on the same amplifier.

To be honest, I like the HD650 (and probably the 660S2) more on a high impedance source like an OTL tube amp or receiver output. They tend to sound warmer because of the impedance interaction. So my opinion could be different if I would test the 660S2 on a different amplifier. I can think the bass will spread out more evenly on these kinds of amps (but less tight as compromise)

I use a topping L30 at home for my FT5 right now, it's a pretty big update compared to my smartphone/laptop output or high impedance output of my receiver, although the difference I experience is mostly in the bass department or distortion, not the soundstage. The HD650 sounds better on different sources like my marantz receiver and my past OTL.

What I have noticed is that the FT5 is pretty sensitive to how you exactly have them on your head, a little shift can narrow or widen the soundstage quit a lot! Maybe the difference is a bit in the pyshical aspect. Other possibility is that I am pretty sensitive to the characteristics of the treble of the HD660S2, that gives an impact on my experience as whole.

Did you also have experience with the HD650? I found that one wider

With wider I point at the effect it sounds more "around" your head than inside my head. The air between instruments I find a little better on the FT5 but it's not that the HD650 is bad in that aspect.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #6,097 of 6,780
The s2 is certainly one of the few headphones that I have no desire to mod or change in any way honestly. The sound signature is simply "dialed" for my preferences. Classic Sennheiser build fit and finish. With parts that are easily accessible and replacable. This is a headphone you can enjoy for the next 20 years that is comfortable, affordable and wonderfully voiced.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #6,098 of 6,780
The s2 is certainly one of the few headphones that I have no desire to mod or change in any way honestly. The sound signature is simply "dialed" for my preferences. Classic Sennheiser build fit and finish. With parts that are easily accessible and replacable. This is a headphone you can enjoy for the next 20 years that is comfortable, affordable and wonderfully voiced.
exactly. i tried removing the pads but it made me worry i would kill the driver somehow. so i left them on. i noticed a slight different but nothing that made me WoW

i started appreciating how "natural" they sound even with the bass boost they have it doesn't blow over the other frequencys

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #6,100 of 6,780
Hi guys, would you say the Focal Clear is better than the HD660S2? There's a guy wanting to trade its used focal clear for my almost new HD660S2. Is it worth it? I dont know how is focal quality wise too, i've read somewhere they can break easily.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #6,101 of 6,780
Hi guys, would you say the Focal Clear is better than the HD660S2? There's a guy wanting to trade its used focal clear for my almost new HD660S2. Is it worth it? I dont know how is focal quality wise too, i've read somewhere they can break easily.
Only you can answer this question. And you'll have to spend time with the Clear to know the answer. I don't see "breaking" as a real issue for Focal headphones. Clear is a very good headphone and worth more money than the s2. It is heavy and not nearly as comfortable for long term listening.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #6,102 of 6,780
Two of my favourite headphones. I couldn't give up either one. My Clear's/Elex's have been my favourites for years, but these HD660S2's are really getting used a fair bit.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #6,103 of 6,780
Two of my favourite headphones. I couldn't give up either one. My Clear's/Elex's have been my favourites for years, but these HD660S2's are really getting used a fair bit.
I agree with Shane. I have both, I enjoy both, and won't give up either one of them. That being said, the differences in sound quality for me is not night and day (as it would be if I compared either one to my RS1x or GS3000x). Compared to each other, it seems to me that they are different flavors of the same underlying basic sound. YMMV

Leo

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #6,104 of 6,780
I agree with Shane. I have both, I enjoy both, and won't give up either one of them. That being said, the differences in sound quality for me is not night and day (as it would be if I compared either one to my RS1x or GS3000x). Compared to each other, it seems to me that they are different flavors of the same underlying basic sound. YMMV

Leo
Since I pulled the foam out of the HD660S2's, they are almost neck and neck. Since I got my Violectric back, this duo is killing it all day, every day.
:L3000:

Jan 31, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #6,105 of 6,780
man i really want to love the 660s 2 cause they sound great, but damn the comfort is painful for me, i even bend the metal multiple times and it did not help.
they gave me a headache after i used them for some hours. my 109 never does that to me.
guess i will just go for my meze with EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back