Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #6,451 of 6,503
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #6,452 of 6,503
I really do enjoy my Sennheiser HD660S2s.
My pair cost $350.00. That is money well spent. I cannot justify $3,000 on headphones at the moment. I am glad that these are impressing me.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #6,454 of 6,503
Consiglieresti un amplificatore a valvole per 660s2? Grazie
I entrust the English translation to Google so they won't tell us that we Italians are lazy!!😁😁😁
Personally I have never used tube amplifiers but there are many who feel comfortable with this type of amplifier, in any case the 660S2 copes very well even with traditional amplifiers with good power.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #6,457 of 6,503
Just had my first experience with the HD660S2 when a couple came through the service center in the last few days. I have to say they are a very impressive set of cans which very much embrace the HD600 family sound while offering a degree of refinement that is beyond any of the previous offerings. I can find fault with all of the models, HD660S is bass shy and while quite improved from the early version is a bit more forward and rough sounding compared to HD600/HD650. The HD650 and HD600 can be a little laid back on the top end and even appear slightly veiled to some listeners which I would disagree with... they're just not as in your face. And the HD650's which would appear to have more bass than the HD600 really don't go deeper but are just more pronounced in the mid bass. Don't get me wrong, I love all three as well as the HD6xx and consider myself lucky to have a job where I have to listen to them regularly, but I'll also say that none of them are perfect, just really nice. The HD660S2 is not perfect either, but I believe it successfully overcomes the shortcomings of each of the models while improving on the attributes. The botom line is that nobody really wants a revolutionary new sounding headphone from Sennheiser. When Sennheiser somewhat deviated from their signature sound with the HD660S, many people were up in arms, comparing it to the HD600/650 and complaining that it didn't sound as good (quite the same). The HD660S2 is not revolutionary, but rather an extension of the sonic signature that we've come to embrace and love. It's all the things you love from each model without the shortcomings that each has. How can you go wrong?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #6,459 of 6,503
Would you recommend a tube amplifier for the 660s2? Thanks, is that better? :beyersmile:
I knew that you wouldn't take it seriously...
I like to mess around all the time. Hey, one of the best animations/cartoons is...La Linea, of course! :)
Thanks for the translation...btw Southerners are lazy, not Northerners :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:
If you are interested, I can give you a link for the great tube amp, just PM me.

Enjoy Giuseppe!

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #6,460 of 6,503
I knew that you wouldn't take it seriously...
I like to mess around all the time. Hey, one of the best animations/cartoons is...La Linea, of course! :)
Thanks for the translation...btw Southerners are lazy, not Northerners :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:
If you are interested, I can give you a link for the great tube amp, just PM me.

Enjoy Giuseppe!

Cheers!
I'm a northerner and i'm lazy...and injured.

20240416_124852.jpg

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #6,461 of 6,503
This is certain, we Nordic people are becoming a band of stressed and poor. We greatly appreciate the tranquility of southern Italy. But together we always help those who have nothing in life.:beerchug:

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #6,462 of 6,503
I finally bought the hd660s2 , 15 years after I had sold my hd600.
1000011175.jpg

Pairs very well with my setup , offers a different sound from grado and stax.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #6,463 of 6,503
I've owned HD660s2 for 1 month and a half. 1 month later, I also bought HD600. The reason is that I felt though HD660s2 is very good, better than my previous HD560s, its vocal is a bit more recessed than my sound taste. However, I can say HD660s2 is a more well rounded headphone, while HD600 is more neutral. HD600 vocal is a bit better, but not much. I think it's setup-dependent.

My setup is:
- Apple Macbook Pro 16 inch M1
- Apple type-c to AV adapter MUF82
- Chord Qutest stock usb-b to usb cable
- Chord Qutest: 3v, default filter. I have not tried any alternative linear power supplies. Stock power supply works better in my setup than ifi power x.
- Mogami 2803 molded RCA cable: I own some pairs of RCA cables and this works best in my setup. Highly recommended. My other pairs are: Mogami 2497 cable with Mogami 7553 RCA terminators, Sommer Epilogue, Blue Jeans LC-1. All pairs have length of 1 meter.
- Topping L30II: Medium gain works well with 2 two headphones. I also own JDS Atom 2 amp, and I think L30II works better in my setup. Atom 2 makes my setup sound a bit too warm.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #6,464 of 6,503
I've owned HD660s2 for 1 month and a half. 1 month later, I also bought HD600. The reason is that I felt though HD660s2 is very good, better than my previous HD560s, its vocal is a bit more recessed than my sound taste. However, I can say HD660s2 is a more well rounded headphone, while HD600 is more neutral. HD600 vocal is a bit better, but not much. I think it's setup-dependent.

My setup is:
- Apple Macbook Pro 16 inch M1
- Apple type-c to AV adapter MUF82
- Chord Qutest stock usb-b to usb cable
- Chord Qutest: 3v, default filter. I have not tried any alternative linear power supplies. Stock power supply works better in my setup than ifi power x.
- Mogami 2803 molded RCA cable: I own some pairs of RCA cables and this works best in my setup. Highly recommended. My other pairs are: Mogami 2497 cable with Mogami 7553 RCA terminators, Sommer Epilogue, Blue Jeans LC-1. All pairs have length of 1 meter.
- Topping L30II: Medium gain works well with 2 two headphones. I also own JDS Atom 2 amp, and I think L30II works better in my setup. Atom 2 makes my setup sound a bit too warm.
Set up means everything.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #6,465 of 6,503
These new headphones already have me fascinated, especially since they aim to surpass already legendary models. Increasing the sound pressure at low frequencies to double the value is an impressive achievement. Thick ear pads and an open design promise long-term listening comfort. The specifications are impressive, especially the wide frequency range and low distortion. Overall, they look like a great continuation of the legendary Sennheiser headphone line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back