Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 17, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #6,631 of 6,797
Does anyone else own both the Shure SRH1540 and Sennheiser HD660S2 headphones? I really love them both.
1715967014789.png

May 17, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #6,634 of 6,797
I have been looking at tube amps but am not really willing to spend more than around $600 for one right now. I see a couple woo audio wa3 or wa6 in classifieds but am unsure if I'll like the darkened treble I keep hearing about.

I have had a Feliks Audio Echo before and kinda wanna snag one again if I can find it for around that price. Any other recommendations? I keep hearing the crack is popular but it looks so dinky I don't know if I trust it

Mind you I'm running a Lyr+ though I hear it's more solid state than tube. So if want a "tubey" amp lol
I am now looking for another amp and have no idea what to get. My budget is about $1,000US.

Been researching for months and everything seems to fall into one of two classes of gear:

1) Sidegrade or just doesn't bring anything special to the party.

Or

2) Holy crap, I can't afford that! :smile:

May 17, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #6,635 of 6,797
what do you find the similarities are between the two, if any?
The SRH1540 headphones seem to be smoother, yet musical. They have a wider soundstage and are slightly recessed in the mids. Some complain of a midbass hump, but I don't hear it. They have an intangible magic on the DAPs I own. The Shures are definitely my favorite. The HD660S2 headphones have such beautiful midrange and accuracy. I really love them too. The Sennheiser gets used with any midcentric music because of it's unparalleled midrange tonal accuracy and presence.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #6,636 of 6,797
I am now looking for another amp and have no idea what to get. My budget is about $1,000US.

Been researching for months and everything seems to fall into one of two classes of gear:

Or

I'm leaning towards the Wa6 right now. It's pretty cheap on classifieds and should serve as a nice tube amp to get into. If I really spot a difference next to my Lyr+ I'll consider a better upgrade down the line but I'm not looking to spend a ton right now

May 17, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #6,637 of 6,797

Or

[ .... try Schiit Vali 3 .... with tube upgrade]

May 17, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #6,638 of 6,797
I'm leaning towards the Wa6 right now. It's pretty cheap on classifieds and should serve as a nice tube amp to get into. If I really spot a difference next to my Lyr+ I'll consider a better upgrade down the line but I'm not looking to spend a ton right now
I just sold a Valhalla 2 and not really looking for another tube amp. I am thinking maybe something Class A?
I have one amp with tons of power, lots of bells and whistles, but fairly neutral even in "tube mode".
The other amp is a nice warm amp.

Looking for a third way to go.

May 17, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #6,639 of 6,797
I just sold a Valhalla 2 and not really looking for another tube amp. I am thinking maybe something Class A?
I have one amp with tons of power, lots of bells and whistles, but fairly neutral even in "tube mode".
The other amp is a nice warm amp.

Looking for a third way to go.
I want to check out Questyle CMA-15.

May 17, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #6,640 of 6,797
[ .... try Schiit Vali 3 .... with tube upgrade]
I had a Vali 2 back in the day and wasn't very impressed.

The only amp I would jump on right now is the LP if they were still available. One of my many mistakes in this hobby was selling that little fella.

May 17, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #6,641 of 6,797
May 17, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #6,642 of 6,797
The SRH1540 headphones seem to be smoother, yet musical. They have a wider soundstage and are slightly recessed in the mids. Some complain of a midbass hump, but I don't hear it. They have an intangible magic on the DAPs I own. The Shures are definitely my favorite. The HD660S2 headphones have such beautiful midrange and accuracy. I really love them too. The Sennheiser gets used with any midcentric music because of it's unparalleled midrange tonal accuracy and presence.
Ah, nice. The 660S2s are currently my favorite, but I’m sort of looking for a new pair of closed backs to compliment them. Will probably wait and see what the 620S brings to the table, though I’m skeptical as I don’t find the 500 series chassis as comfortable (or aesthetically pleasing for that matter)

May 17, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #6,644 of 6,797
I would like to try FluxLab Mentor someday (currently using Topping A90).
That Mentor looks great, especially the M-Field version. But with a few extras, shipping and conversion it would be around $2K landed in Canada. A little rich for me. I am thinking $1K to $1.5K, landed, in Canuck bucks. Also looking at used, to open the available pool.

May 17, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #6,645 of 6,797

Or

Look at the Lehmann Audio Linear, amplifiers that match very well with Sennheiser and beyond.👋

Users who are viewing this thread

Back