Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphone Connectors and Using Grado Extension Cable
Aug 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

The Fourth Doctor

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have two related questions:

1. So I just ordered a Sennheiser HD 6XX from Drop. In some instances, I’m going to need to use an extension cable with them, so I’m looking at the one from Grado.

However, the Grado cable is meant for a 1/4” connector, meaning I’d have to use the 1/8” to 1/4” adapter provided with the HD 6XX. So there would be two extra connections in my chain between headphones and amp.

Is that OK? It also appears Sennheiser sells a separate cable meant for their HD 650 and HD 660 models that terminates in a 1/4” connection. Would that be compatible with the HD 6XX, and if so, would using that cable that be preferable in my situation, as it would eliminate an extra connection?

2. The Grado cable is well regarded, right? Are there any comparable choices? I notice Grado offers their extension cable in two variations: a 4-conductor version and a 12-conductor version. What is the difference and what would be the best for the HD 6XX’s?

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 13
Ok you are getting the 6XX’s and might need a extension cable. What amp or device are they going to be plugged into?

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Good question. It will be multiple devices in the short term at least. Smartphone, laptop, and A/V receiver to begin with. Probably dedicated headphone amp eventually but it will depend if I can tell a difference in the sound between a dedicated amp and a new receiver I plan to buy in the next year or so.

Does it matter? Thanks!

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 13
Hello,

1. So I just ordered a Sennheiser HD 6XX from Drop. In some instances, I’m going to need to use an extension cable with them, so I’m looking at the one from Grado.

However, the Grado cable is meant for a 1/4” connector, meaning I’d have to use the 1/8” to 1/4” adapter provided with the HD 6XX. So there would be two extra connections in my chain between headphones and amp.

Is that OK? It also appears Sennheiser sells a separate cable meant for their HD 650 and HD 660 models that terminates in a 1/4” connection. Would that be compatible with the HD 6XX, and if so, would using that cable that be preferable in my situation, as it would eliminate an extra connection?

2. The Grado cable is well regarded, right? Are there any comparable choices? I notice Grado offers their extension cable in two variations: a 4-conductor version and a 12-conductor version. What is the difference and what would be the best for the HD 6XX’s?

Thanks!

I'd much rather just order longer cables for the Sennheiser that terminate in the connector you need than get a Grado extension cable considering that that's kind of the point of these Sennheisers having replaceable cables (apart from having to whip out a soldering iron or sending it back just because of a faulty cable).

Bonus: in case the cable you use fails you'll still have the shorter cable until you get another long cable (though you have to move your chair or something) or you can just order two longer cables so you have a back up ready.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 13
I'd much rather just order longer cables for the Sennheiser that terminate in the connector you need than get a Grado extension cable considering that that's kind of the point of these Sennheisers having replaceable cables (apart from having to whip out a soldering iron or sending it back just because of a faulty cable).

Bonus: in case the cable you use fails you'll still have the shorter cable until you get another long cable (though you have to move your chair or something) or you can just order two longer cables so you have a back up ready.
Well, I should clarify that no matter which Sennheiser headphone cables I use, I still will need an extension cable because I need a run of about 14-15 feet to reach my receiver from my couch. Thanks!

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Well, I should clarify that no matter which Sennheiser headphone cables I use, I still will need an extension cable because I need a run of about 14-15 feet to reach my receiver from my couch. Thanks!

I should clarify that when I meant "order longer cables" I meant "order custom cables," ie, tell whoever is making it to make it 5m long.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Hello,

Thanks!
From your intended uses (phone, laptop, AV receiver), I think I’d go for keeping the short HD 6XX cable and adding an adapter and extension. If you get one long (custom) cable, then you’re going to have an annoying bundle of cable when using your phone or laptop. Not to mention that if you’ve got a 1/4” termination, then you’re going to need an adapter for your phone/laptop, anyway.
I think your plan of using an extension and adapter is fine. It shouldn’t alter the sound unless the adapter is junk. Just leave the adapter plugged into the extension.
I haven’t ever used the Grado cables, but if the Amazon reviews are anything to go by they should be fine. There shouldn’t be any sonic differences between them, unless one is defective. If you want to go less expensive, maybe look for something marketed to musicians/professionals. Hosa and PigHog both get good reviews and cost a fraction of the Grado (again, haven’t tried either, though). You might also check eBay or Etsy for custom cables made with Mogami/Canare/etc.
If you’re at all handy with a soldering iron (or if you want to learn) you could probably buy all of the equipment, cable, and plugs for the same price as the Grado.

The only thing I would recommend against is repeatedly swapping the headphone cable, as the Sennheiser jacks are known for wearing out.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 13
From your intended uses (phone, laptop, AV receiver), I think I’d go for keeping the short HD 6XX cable and adding an adapter and extension. If you get one long (custom) cable, then you’re going to have an annoying bundle of cable when using your phone or laptop. Not to mention that if you’ve got a 1/4” termination, then you’re going to need an adapter for your phone/laptop, anyway.

I think your plan of using an extension and adapter is fine. It shouldn’t alter the sound unless the adapter is junk. Just leave the adapter plugged into the extension.

Thanks! Tough to know what usage pattern I'll settle into, but it's good to know that introducing an adapter and an extension into the chain would have a negligible effect. I can start with that for now and re-evaluate later.

I haven’t ever used the Grado cables, but if the Amazon reviews are anything to go by they should be fine. There shouldn’t be any sonic differences between them, unless one is defective. If you want to go less expensive, maybe look for something marketed to musicians/professionals. Hosa and PigHog both get good reviews and cost a fraction of the Grado (again, haven’t tried either, though). You might also check eBay or Etsy for custom cables made with Mogami/Canare/etc.
If you’re at all handy with a soldering iron (or if you want to learn) you could probably buy all of the equipment, cable, and plugs for the same price as the Grado.

I'm just an amateur. But I did get this response from Grado when I asked what the difference between the 12 conductor and 4 conductor cable is: "Some of our headphones come wired with the heavier (12 conductor) cables, if you have one of those headphones I would recommend the heavier extension, otherwise the 4 conductor is fine."

So the cheaper 4 conductor cable should be adequate for the Sennheiers, right? No reason to pay more for the 12 conductor?

The only thing I would recommend against is repeatedly swapping the headphone cable, as the Sennheiser jacks are known for wearing out.

Do you mean the two-prong jacks for the the left and right ears of the headphones, or the 1/4 or 1/8 jacks plugged into my source or extension cable?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 13
I use that Grado extension cable and HD 6XX with the original cable and adapter, from my tube amp. I also use the same amp + Grado extension for other cans (Sundara also with adapter and Beyer DT150 with 1/4 cable).

In theory a long cable direct to the amp for each heaphone would be preferable, or at least a cable from the headphone with the 1/4 connector (so, no need for the adapter). That would give a more direct signal path.

I've tested with a friend's cables and did not hear any diference in sound quality (and I really tried). So I use the extension + adapter. Of course, YMMV...

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 13
thinnest grado cable is good. Only hardcore grado fans needs the thickest cable(they with 12 conductor grados)

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks! Tough to know what usage pattern I'll settle into, but it's good to know that introducing an adapter and an extension into the chain would have a negligible effect. I can start with that for now and re-evaluate later.
I think whatever provides the most flexibility for your usage is the best. For me, it's having a short cable with an extension when I need it.

This is the adapter I recently purchased. It works fine and I don't notice any degradation with any of my headphones or IEMs (though I thought it was more like two for $5 before; now it's going for $10).

I'm just an amateur. But I did get this response from Grado when I asked what the difference between the 12 conductor and 4 conductor cable is: "Some of our headphones come wired with the heavier (12 conductor) cables, if you have one of those headphones I would recommend the heavier extension, otherwise the 4 conductor is fine."

So the cheaper 4 conductor cable should be adequate for the Sennheiers, right? No reason to pay more for the 12 conductor?
Yes, the 4 conductor should be adequate. No need to pay more.

Do you mean the two-prong jacks for the the left and right ears of the headphones, or the 1/4 or 1/8 jacks plugged into my source or extension cable?
I mean the sockets on the headphones themselves that the 2-prong plugs go into. There's a tiny spring in there that sometimes wears out / loosens and can cause a bad connection. I have not experienced this, but I don't think it's easily replaceable.
Also, maybe I made sound like it's a common problem— so far as I know it's not, but it does happen occasionally from repeated plugging/unplugging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back