Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,911 of 9,326

This is how I personally think it will play out if you get the HD700. You will think theyre amazing at first.. maybe a month, then you will look to move on because they dont have enough bass.  The first thing you mention is open and basshead in your previous post.  I like me my bass but basshead would not be anywhere in my requirements.  These are not for bassheads.  Yes it has bass and probably more than the DT990 (speculation as I never tried that model but had the DT880/T1) but the HD700 might end up being more balanced than you would like.  You asked us here a question, and you have received a couple responses saying that these may not be right for you.  Then again, everything I am saying is just my thoughts and  may be completely wrong but you asked us what we thought and I am telling you what I thought based on your post.  "with bass boost",  "basshead levels", etc. 

That is kind of what happened with the 990s. Everything was good except for it did lack a tiny bit in quantity, but the main issue was it didn't handle bumps in the bass well at all. I did enjoy everything else on the 990s though, including listening to them plain which was just as enjoyable as having the bass boosted, and if these have just a pinch more then the only question left is can these handle a bump in the bass when I want it? I am not trying to take these and turn them into open XB1000s, I really don't think you are understanding my tastes here. Bass is not my main concern, my main concern is soundstage which is seemingly strong on these, bass is a side treat as it adds a fun to the listening experience. I use the term basshead loosely, simply meaning I like some bass with my music. I am asking about bass, because the reviews made it clear how everything else sounds. I don't expect major bass from these, I want to know their potential as I sometimes like to have heavier bass and sometimes prefer rich vocals as well as other things. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #2,912 of 9,326

I use the term basshead loosely, simply meaning I like some bass with my music. I am asking about bass, because the reviews made it clear how everything else sounds. I don't expect major bass from these, I want to know their potential as I sometimes like to have heavier bass and sometimes prefer rich vocals as well as other things. 

The HD700 is ok for you. I you were a real basshead you would need the JVC SZ-2000. Greatest bass potential but mids and treble suck totally.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,915 of 9,326
hmm.. disappointed with how it feels. i dont find these as comfortable as everyone makes them out to be. the earcups that is. going from the hd598 to this, i found the 598's earcups to be vastly more comfortable (nice and soft like clouds). not a fan of the hd700's tilting earcups kind of awkward though i could probably get used to it, but mainly the earcups dont feel nearly as comfortable as the 598's. its for this reason alone that im gonna stick with the 598. not even gonna bother comparing the two's sounds.. comfort is more important to me. rip $600

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #2,916 of 9,326
hmm.. disappointed with how it feels. i dont find these as comfortable as everyone makes them out to be. the earcups that is. going from the hd598 to this, i found the 598's earcups to be vastly more comfortable (nice and soft like clouds). not a fan of the hd700's tilting earcups kind of awkward though i could probably get used to it, but mainly the earcups dont feel nearly as comfortable as the 598's. its for this reason alone that im gonna stick with the 598. not even gonna bother comparing the two's sounds.. comfort is more important to me. rip $600

The foam used takes a bit of time to soften up. Give it a few days.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,917 of 9,326
  hmm.. disappointed with how it feels......

Well seeing it should be all about the sound you may want to give the HD700 a bit more time on your head but then again it comes down to your source.  The HD598s are IMHO ideally suited for running off a low powered portable source or direct from a computer, the HD700s due to their superior drivers, ear cup design and pads deserve a much better source and amplification. For example I much prefer my HD598s running direct off my iMac.. doesn't do a thing for the HD700s...they actually sound inferior....  but off my main rig... a Bryston BCD-1 and BHA-1 Head-amp … the HD598s do not hold a candle to the HD700s.
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2,918 of 9,326
Funny....when I think about the comparison between my recent  headphones I have a tendency to compare them with  regards to bicycles.

HD598…comfortable city cruiser.
AKG K712s…excellent hybrid for on and off round.
HD700s……finely tuned road bike.
HD800s…..finely tuned..”custom built’…road bike.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,919 of 9,326

I think you are not giving them a fair shot. I see you said that you received them Friday it is now Sunday, so you have had them like 48 hours or so !  When I was looking over your post to see how long you had had them, you were asking about buying a $250 cable for them. It just seems strange you were contemplating buying a expensive cable but you are not going to give them a adequate amount of time to settle in for comfort and sound.
I feel you are doing a disservice to yourself, to rush so fast into a decision.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2,920 of 9,326
Well seeing it should be all about the sound you may want to give the HD700 a bit more time on your head but then again it comes down to your source.  The HD598s are IMHO ideally suited for running off a low powered portable source or direct from a computer, the HD700s due to their superior drivers, ear cup design and pads deserve a much better source and amplification. For example I much prefer my HD598s running direct off my iMac.. doesn't do a thing for the HD700s...they actually sound inferior....  but off my main rig... a Bryston BCD-1 and BHA-1 Head-amp … the HD598s do not hold a candle to the HD700s. :smile:

Nice, a fellow BCD-1 owner. It is a great CD player. Obviously pairs well with the HD700.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #2,921 of 9,326
It seems like there's a very 'extreme' opinion on the HD700's: you either love it or hate it. As someone who's looking into this and the Shure SRH1840, I'm still a bit flummoxed which one will be preferable to me. Trialing either will not be an option, as I live in Australia and barely any stores demo it. Hence, I'll just have to rely on you guys' opinions.

Right now, for me, I can get either the SRH1840 or the HD700 at the same price ($600 AUD/$470 USD). I'm intending this setup to be my last for a while, with myself being a poor student, and intend these to be my 'break' into the hi-end world (at least, into open cans).

As for my preferences, I like bass in my headphones, but most importantly, I like a big soundstage and clarity (though not so much I can hear an ant walking across the stage). My previous gear is fairly humble, with my latest rig being just a Sony MDR-1A, which I adore, but also realise its shortcomings. My brother also has a HD650 which I use from time to time, and while it's very good, I want a little something more than it. Balance is not a huge thing for me: after all, EQ'ing exists for a reason :)

My musical choices are pretty simple: everything minus electronic/dubstep and rock. So while bass is nice for me, it's not a deal-breaker if there's not a lot.

With that being said, would the SRH1840 or the HD700 be more suitable for me? Or any other suggestions at the $600 USD range for open cans, along with a decent amp?

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,922 of 9,326
I hear the HD700s have good textured bass but the impact is lacking. Some owners need to chime in here. There are a few options in that price range, Beyerdynamic T90, Philips X2, HD700 obviously, HD600, DT880, ATH-AD900 or even the AD2000x. What amp/dac do you have?

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,923 of 9,326
I hear the HD700s have good textured bass but the impact is lacking. Some owners need to chime in here. There are a few options in that price range, Beyerdynamic T90, Philips X2, HD700 obviously, HD600, DT880, ATH-AD900 or even the AD2000x. What amp/dac do you have?

I have a Fiio E7, but I'm open to ideas that are -reasonably- priced. The HD 600/650 is definitely not an option, since my brother actually owns both (forgot to mention the 600), and I'll be damned if I get the same stuff.

Bass impact isn't a big problem, I just want to avoid that complete lack of bass (for me) that some of Grado's have. That being said, soundstage and clarity still are the most important stuff for me.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #2,924 of 9,326
I recommend the Fidelio X2s for the price they would be hard to beat. Plus your saving some cash. The soundstage is great, Bass shows itself when needed on certain tracks. They are very easy to drive, your E7 wouldnt have any issues at all. Basically for me to jump up in quality i would have to spend 1k+ now. Thats my opinion :wink: but im sure other people will agree. The only other options i can think of is maybe open Ultrasones. They have bass but can be fatiguing for some people in the highs.

*edit*

I just remembered the Hifiman HE400s (non i version) are fairly easy to drive. They could be an option if you read up about them :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #2,925 of 9,326
I recommend the Fidelio X2s for the price they would be hard to beat. Plus your saving some cash. The soundstage is great, Bass shows itself when needed on certain tracks. They are very easy to drive, your E7 wouldnt have any issues at all. Basically for me to jump up in quality i would have to spend 1k+ now. Thats my opinion
wink.gif
but im sure other people will agree. The only other options i can think of is maybe open Ultrasones. They have bass but can be fatiguing for some people in the highs.

*edit*

I just remembered the Hifiman HE400s (non i version) are fairly easy to drive. They could be an option if you read up about them
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking at the X2's too, but the cheapest I could find them in Australia is around $480 AUD. So, with my thinking, why not boost up $120 or so to get the HD 700's or something? I have no idea why, but the HD700's are ridiculously cheap here ($600 AUD): that's more or less the only reason I'm considering them, coz they normally cost a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back