Sennheiser HD239
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hankie

New Head-Fier
A couple of weeks ago I bought myself the Sennheiser HD239 on-ears cans. I took severel vitis to a local store and the Mediamarkt (a populair electronic company in the Netherlands) and read a lot of threads around here. Dring my tests I also used my own music as source, on which I had some WAV-files 16bit/44,1Khz. Among the brands that past my hands were Grado, Sony, Beyerdynamics, House of Marley, Philips, Bow and Wilson and Sennheiser. My budget was around €100, but that dit not withhold me to test much expensive cans. There were two pair of cans in my price range which struck me immediately: Sony MDR-ZX-600 and the Sennheiser HD239. Not that (for example) the Grado SR 60 wasn't impressieve, it sounds fabulous, but it did not grab me and hold me for longer times. You could say the sound was superieur but didn't involve me enough to keep them up for more than a couple of minutes. With the Sony that happened directly. I heard a very involving clear and powerfull soundstage. No mather wich music I tried, I couldn't stop it halfway, had to keep listening...but I must zo it exhausted me too. Its a vivid sound, punchy in the bass, clear and loud in the mids and a litthe withdraw at higher tones. Voices sounded as if the singer was over enthousiastic to sing especially for me. Exciting but also exhausting as i said.

Then I putted on the Sennheiser HD239 and I must be honest, I was astonished. I couldn't believe that a rather budget pair of cans could sound so overwhelming. I really was blown away by the first seconds of listening. Away was the intruding rithm of the Sony, but what stayed was a beautifull clear and open little warm and authority claiming soundstage. It didn't exhoust at all, but took me into the music, involved me easily and keep me there where I really enjoy music. Like satin on a skin, the tones dropped into my ear, keeping it sweet no mather how high I put up the volume. And there was enough power in my pocket, using the fii0 combined with a iPod classic. My descision was made, this pair I had to have. I am enjoying them now with the latest Steven Wilson "Get what you deserve" album. The cans are very much able to switch from this prog rock to a string quartet of Shostakovich or an old record of Fritz Reiners interpretation of Bartoks Concert for Orchestra, piano and celesta. I am most impressed by how the Sennheiser handles every kind of music from jazz to rock to classic. If you can do give it a try in your local audiostore.

Last remark, i read a lot of comments on open cans (like this Sennheiser HD239) used in public transportation. Well I travel by train every day. Sometimes crowdy and I guarentee you, these cans are no problem at all. The only thing for you to do is, to adjust the volume to the surrounding sound. If it's all quiet, you can put your music down a little (but still very resonable volume). When ther is a lot of noise around, put it up. I tried several times at violumes I really liked my music and then put the cans on my knee (a earcan on both sides) and tried hard if I could hear them. Well I coudn't really. With real effort I slightly heared some music, but never saw a reaction of angry eyes to my direction on any of my journeys. I foudn this information important because the argue of the noise out, almost hold me back in buying these cans, glad I didn't

Greetings
Henny

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Thnx for the compliment! Still happy with my Sennheiser though another pair keeps me busy the last months: Bose OE2 (don't be fooled by the bad name this brand deserves due to audiphile audience, these are serious good cans!!)

Sep 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 15
I don't know if I will compare them to Bose OE2.  The HD239 are $69 at Amazon right now so the OE2's are over 2x the price.  Perhaps, compare the OE2 with HD380 which is about the same price point?  But that is a totally different animal.

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 15
Go for the HD239, really an excellent pair. The Bose does better in isolation of instruments. Almost scary to hear the silence between voices and instruments. Especially listening to jazz combo's and chamber music. Which is my cup of tea

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 15
I have the 239. It was my first headphone that could be described as anything but junk. It has great sound and is feather light. Although I have moved up to the HD558 with Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp for my main listening, I still use the 239s out of my iPhone for portable listening. A good relatively inexpensive on ear open headphone.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 15
I would still recommend it. Nowadays I use the Sennheiser for watching movies on my laptop. Perfect combination. Lately I bought a pair of AKG K550. Moved over to closed cans. Not that I troubled my environment but the other way around :) Anyway I am gonna review those spectacular pair of closed cans too very soon!

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 15
I bought the HD239 based on some reviews here and mostly this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-open

Compared to my Koss KSC75, I find them a lot less clear in the vocals and highs, they lack sparckle, and are muffled, sibilant. Cymbals sound gritty. The sound stage is narrower, the sound is less transparent and more congested, less energy and punch in the bass. On the plus side the bass is deeper, sound is fuller, but too many cons for them.
I really regret purchasing them.

Did anybody find the same shortcomings?

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 15
  I bought the HD239 based on some reviews here and mostly this:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-open

Compared to my Koss KSC75, I find them a lot less clear in the vocals and highs, they lack sparckle, and are muffled, sibilant. Cymbals sound gritty. The sound stage is narrower, the sound is less transparent and more congested, less energy and punch in the bass. On the plus side the bass is deeper, sound is fuller, but too many cons for them.
I really regret purchasing them.

Did anybody find the same shortcomings?

Yup. I have the 238's and 239's. I also have the KSC 75's, Porta and Sporta Pros. The Koss get regular use, the Slamhammers sit in the bottom of a bankers box.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks Hutnicks,

I think I'll just sell 'em or use them in winter, cause they have such plushy earpads :D
Do you have any suggestion for other headphones that are more close to the Koss sound (same transparency and clarity), but fuller sound, better sound stage, and also same budget as the HD239 ?
I use a rockboxed Sansa Clip+ and Fiio E6.

Thank you

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 15
  Hi

HD238 is the same as HD239 in term of sonic right?

Regards
Jason

One is open and the other is closed. There is a sonic difference. Given the choice I'd have to give the nod to the 239 overall. Where it falls down is if you use it for commuting. The isolation is poor so you hear everything around you.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 15
The HD239 is an often overlooked gem for the current price. It's an amazing headphone, it's musicality is hard to beat until you reach much higher price ranges...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back