Sennheiser HD414 Pads on Grados?
Aug 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I was about to order a set of replacement Sennheiser HD414 earpads for my Alessandro MS2is when I noticed that the HD414 pads have foam in front of the driver whereas the Grado pads do not.

This made me wonder if the HD414 pads might have much of an effect on the sound signature of the Alessandros.

Anyone using HD414 pads on Grados able to comment on their effect on sound presentation?

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 4
Search is your friend, as this has been discussed ad nauseum on these fourums. Seek out "414 quarter mod" and "reverse 414 quarter mod" for info. about what you can do to remove the foam padding from the front of the driver port. Plenty of useful mod's using these awesome, affordable pads. Check the threads if you don't believe me!
popcorn.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 4
I did it to my Alessandro MS1. They come with comfy pads which already have foam over the driver. I ended up doing the "quarter mod" to my HD414 pads, which consists of using a quarter as a template to cut out a portion of the foam. The difference is subtle, but the highs took on an added pleasing sparkle.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 4
To my ears, it helps to do the "reverse" quarter mod. Not only does this provide more padding and a bit more open headstage while focusing the overall SQ, but it also provides a "factory finish" to the exposed openning (originally attached to the driver housing). Very cool beans, indeed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back