Sennheiser HD598 Vs HD598 SR
Nov 26, 2017 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Arin7

100+ Head-Fier
I was considering to buy a HD598 headphones, but after some research I found out that specific model has some issues with the headband which I would definitely rather to avoid such problems, so I searched some more and have found the HD598 SR which has a new headband design and doesn't have the original 598's problem, my question is, are the "HD 598" and "HD 598 SR" has the the exact same sound signature and even better, the same drivers? because I am really interested in how HD 598 sounds, the HD599 is out now but I really dont want to risk it cause there is not enough reviews about them yet! and I tried my friend regular 598s and I really love how they performed in game but his headphones headband also gone bad...

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 9
I was considering to buy a HD598 headphones, but after some research I found out that specific model has some issues with the headband which I would definitely rather to avoid such problems, so I searched some more and have found the HD598 SR which has a new headband design and doesn't have the original 598's problem, my question is, are the "HD 598" and "HD 598 SR" has the the exact same sound signature and even better, the same drivers? because I am really interested in how HD 598 sounds, the HD599 is out now but I really dont want to risk it cause there is not enough reviews about them yet! and I tried my friend regular 598s and I really love how they performed in game but his headphones headband also gone bad...
The 598 and SR version have the same drivers from what I've read. The 599 sounds a bit different than the 598 according to most of the people who test it, but it's generally regarded as "similar but slightly better".

If you like the 598 sound then the SR should sound the exact same, just with better build quality. I'm considering upgrading my 598 to the 599 purely for that nicer headband :p But I also want to replace it with the HD800 soon so I may just hold out

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
The 598 and SR version have the same drivers from what I've read. The 599 sounds a bit different than the 598 according to most of the people who test it, but it's generally regarded as "similar but slightly better".

If you like the 598 sound then the SR should sound the exact same, just with better build quality. I'm considering upgrading my 598 to the 599 purely for that nicer headband :p But I also want to replace it with the HD800 soon so I may just hold out

Thanks for the reply. see...when people say better I get worried lol :D cause I currently own the HD600 which I heard on YouTube reviews that are better than 598 although I love them for music but for gaming and movies, they are not impressive as they are in music...

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the reply. see...when people say better I get worried lol :D cause I currently own the HD600 which I heard on YouTube reviews that are better than 598 although I love them for music but for gaming and movies, they are not impressive as they are in music...
Yea the 600 aren't good for gaming or movies at all. That's why I started with the 598 for gaming and picked up the 650 purely for music. I think the difference between the 598 and 600 is much bigger than between the 598 and 599. I think getting the SR version is a worthy side grade if you can get a good price. As much as I hate the old 598 headband, I don't wanna pay over 150 dollars just to get the version with a new headband

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Yea the 600 aren't good for gaming or movies at all. That's why I started with the 598 for gaming and picked up the 650 purely for music. I think the difference between the 598 and 600 is much bigger than between the 598 and 599. I think getting the SR version is a worthy side grade if you can get a good price. As much as I hate the old 598 headband, I don't wanna pay over 150 dollars just to get the version with a new headband
HD599's are on sale on Amazon and the official web site now for something around $199...

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 9
HD599's are on sale on Amazon and the official web site now for something around $199...
It's all up to you, honestly I think the headphones are worth about 150 dollars perhaps a tiny bit more. The good thing is that the 599 seems more durable. I also own the LCD2 and still love my 598 so I don't think they're easily replaced

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 9
It's all up to you, honestly I think the headphones are worth about 150 dollars perhaps a tiny bit more. The good thing is that the 599 seems more durable. I also own the LCD2 and still love my 598 so I don't think they're easily replaced
I am sure 598s are amazing for two reasons first because they are really popular and second because my perfectionist friend really likes them, he dont care about the headband though...lol

Nov 26, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 9
I am sure 598s are amazing for two reasons first because they are really popular and second because my perfectionist friend really likes them, he dont care about the headband though...lol
Yea the 598 just has a very agreeable sound signature. Has a nice wide soundstage, good detail, and a very balanced sound with no annoying treble. Since they have recessed bass, I prefer them with acoustic or jazz music but since I got the LCD2 I stopped using the 598 for music

May 6, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 9
After some research, found them to be the exact same headphone!
Yes, the headband is much nicer and an improvement.
On the other hand, can't find ax exact replacement for the headband in 598 SR, do you have any ideas?
All the replacements parts are from all the other numbers: 598 SE, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back