Sennheiser hd600 still worth considering
Jul 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

crewcut

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.I listen to music mostly through closed back headphones.I have an old set of Soundmagic hp200 closed backs that I use from time to time,but am thinking of getting another pair of open backs.I am looking at the classic sen hd600 that I can get new for a good price.When I got the hp200s quite a few people compared them to the sens.Would it still be worth getting them as a long term upgrade.My close backs would still get the most use,but I would like to have some other back to use for late night listening.
The sens would be used with my Fiio k5 dac amp.My closed backs at the moment are Sony mdr-z7s.I know they cant be compared to the Sens as they are much warmer sounding,but I also like flatter,more analytical headphones.
Thanks.

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 24
The HD600s would be a great addition to any collection imo. They’re still some of the best headphones you can buy, regardless of price.

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 24
That's a big thumbs up on the hd600, especially if you can get them at a good price like you mentioned. They scale very well with good amps and have high impedance, so make sure they're a good fit for your system. If you have a OTL tube amp like the bottlehead crack, they're a no brainer at the price.

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 24
If I could only keep one headphone from my collection, it'd probably be this one.

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 24
I just bought a pair of HD600 a few days ago. I’m shocked at how good they sound, with all the “veiled” and 3 blobs, etc comments I’ve read about Senns I wasn’t expecting much. I think I prefer them over my Sundara actually.
The Sundara just doesn't do nuances and dynamics like HD600. But too bad, planars cater for typical consumer taste more than the Senns.

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 24
W a good amp and DAC the 600 is really all you need.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 24
Has anyone used the fiio k5 pro with the 600s?
The HD600 is all about quality upstream gears. Yes, you probably can get enough gain to make it loud with portable Fiio. But you won't hear it in its max capacity.

Hence so many people claim they know the HD600/650, yet they don't. But try telling them that.

Jul 19, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 24
I've had my HD600's for a few years and have been searching for the next new fancy headphone to upgrade from the HD600. I have tried a LOT of headphones in all price ranges and nothing was the next thing for me. I ended up ordering HD660s to make a comparison with my beloved HD600. Ofc then i had to get new pads for the HD600 else the comparison would not be fair.
Turns out HD600 was my end game all along, the pads had gotten worn slowly over the years and with new pads they sounded like when i first fell in love with them. Sent back the HD660s since the upgrade is not worth the money and i liked the sound signature from the HD600 better even though they are so alike sounding that you could be wrong in a blind test.
In my journey looking for that next thing i came across the Fostex T50RP mk3 and i ended up modding those for a few months.
HD600 for open backs, T50rp for "closed" backs and RME ADI2 dac/amp combo to drive. This is it for me.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 24
I use my HD 600 with a Fiio K5 Pro or with a Matrix M-Stage HPA1 and it is my number one choice for baroque and chamber music. I have never seen anything better for string quartets, solo violin, violin concertos, woodwinds, flutes and other wind instruments than the HD 600. Although the HD 600 sounds fantastic for solo piano and piano concertos, I still prefer my Sennheiser HD 598 for this genre. The HD 600 is also my favorite for choral music and operas. In my collection, the HD 600 is the only I consider are dignified enough for the Bach passions, masses, chorals and cantatas. The only reason I don't use it often for symphonies and full orchestra music is due the fact I do also own the HD 650 which do a fantastic job for this kind of music. For other genres I usually user other headphones, not becouse the HD600 cannot sound well with them, but becouse I have so many models of headphones that I decided to reserve the HD 600 for the genres I listed above and I cannot imagine anything that could sound bad on the HD 600 if it was properly recorded, mixed and mastered.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 24
Has anyone used the fiio k5 pro with the 600s?
I own both, HD 600 and Fiio K5 Pro. I have matched them both for a while and I am really enjoying this combination. The Fiio K5 Pro is very powerful and is more than enough to drive the HD 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back