Sennheiser HD600 vs. AKG K240 Sextett?
Feb 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I got a bargain on both of these, and was wondering which one I should get.

My headphone preference is probably the "Audio-Technica/Grado" sound signature. In other words, I like smooth, well-extended forward highs with some creamy and warm "Audio-Technica" mids and impactful but not bloated bass. An example of this signature would be the Audio-Technica ESW9, but I'd prefer a slightly brighter can, but maybe not as bright as a Grado.

Soundstage is not of much importance to me and I'd rather have a forward headphone than a laidback one.

FWIR, the AKG K240 Sextett has the sound signature that I want. However, I am also interested in the Sennheiser HD600. Are they even in the same league? What would you recommend? Amping is not a problem but keep in mind that the HD600 is almost 3X more expensive.

Thanks,
Leon

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 10
every audio technica I've heard (except the M50 of course) has been quite a bit brighter then both the HD600 and Sextett.

But by your description, I honestly wouldn't get either one. The words you used to describe your preferences don't match the Sextett or HD600 character. For example, you didn't mention balanced.

I would go for an Audio Technica, or get a grado and use HD414 pads. The HD600 by no means has a forward sound, it is all about good tone and balance. The sextett has various versions, but if you care a lot about treble, they are not the ones for you. They have some of the best mids of any headphone ever made, but treble isn't their strong suit in my experience.

That being said, if you have a great deal in front of you, then get both, cause clearly you could sell them here at no loss or even slight profit.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 10
It really depends on the condition of the sextetts. Most that I had were pretty much like most people described(excellent mids, refined bass, but rolled of highs), but I was fortunate to score a pair of LPs that were in like new condition, and wow. They were extremely detailed. Almost too detailed. They were much brighter than the hd580s I had. Just about every pair of sextetts I've owned sounded different. So they are hit or miss(well they are 30+ year old cans).

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends on the condition of the sextetts. Most that I had were pretty much like most people described(excellent mids, refined bass, but rolled of highs), but I was fortunate to score a pair of LPs that were in like new condition, and wow. They were extremely detailed. Almost too detailed. They were much brighter than the hd580s I had. Just about every pair of sextetts I've owned sounded different. So they are hit or miss(well they are 30+ year old cans).

oh man, makes me want to start buying sextetts again! I had the same experience, though I didn't find one with super clean treble, I did find one that had way more depth and detail than the others. But maybe that's the first thing to go with these. Despite their magic, I don't think the driver itself is....well...state of the art.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like you're describing the 240DF. Only problem with that one is a relatively weak bass, otherwise great clarity and detail and balance. No treble roll off, either. You might want to try a set of those. They usually go for well under $100 on ebay.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Well my experience was with a Sextett LP in relatively poor condition, but I removed the foam, cleaned it up best I could, and replaced pads and elastics. It changed mostly because the elastics kept them close to my ears. Anyhow, higher mids and treble were actually more forward sounding than the K601 (the "Grado'd AKG" description might have sense to it), but no brighter and not really anymore extended from what I remember.

The biggest problem I had with the higher mid range and treble was that it had a metallic edge to it. I can't describe it any better than to say it didn't sound as natural as I had expected coming from a K601. Otherwise a good headphone considering the average price; although it was a different sound to the K601 and the bass wasn't as extended (as much mid bass punch, however, if not a little more), it otherwise was as detailed and as clean sounding from what I remember.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my experience was with a Sextett LP in relatively poor condition, but I removed the foam, cleaned it up best I could, and replaced pads and elastics. It changed mostly because the elastics kept them close to my ears. Anyhow, higher mids and treble were actually more forward sounding than the K601 (the "Grado'd AKG" description might have sense to it), but no brighter and not really anymore extended from what I remember.

The biggest problem I had with the higher mid range and treble was that it had a metallic edge to it. I can't describe it any better than to say it didn't sound as natural as I had expected coming from a K601. Otherwise a good headphone considering the average price; although it was a different sound to the K601 and the bass wasn't as extended (as much mid bass punch, however, if not a little more), it otherwise was as detailed and as clean sounding from what I remember.

Hey what are you saying about my headphone being "poor"?
wink.gif

I mostly agree with you, it has kind of a forward sound. Seems to do everything OK but not exceptional at anything, I guess thats why I sold it.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 10
The sennheisers hd600's could be a good choice, it works well with a variety of sources and the sound fidelity is fantastic...a little bulky though.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey what are you saying about my headphone being "poor"?
wink.gif

I mostly agree with you, it has kind of a forward sound. Seems to do everything OK but not exceptional at anything, I guess thats why I sold it.

Ha, well it was certainly in fine working order because the sound was good for an old headphone. Scratches were another thing though
tongue.gif

The reason I sold it was probably just that though, because I already have the K601 as an all rounder, and although the Sextett was a bit more exciting for rock, it wasn't enough to sway me. That and I decided I wasn't going to restore it after all.

Nonetheless the price on a Sextett, plus the fact it's a used headphone, makes it worthwhile just to try in my opinion. I would say though, LeonWho, that the Sextett may lack high end extension if that's what you're really looking for. Otherwise you might find a MP or LP Sextett to have the traits you're looking for.

[edit]Back to extension, actually, I'm not quite sure whether I should change my thoughts on that. It's pretty difficult since I don't own the headphone now, but for all the high end was more forward than the K601, and for all it had that "metallic" edge, it didn't ever come across as bright to me from what I remember. The K601 however does have a little high end sparkle, for all it's still not a headphone known for high end extension. Whether that means it has more extension I don't know (brightness and extension do not have to go hand in hand from what I gather); as I don't own the Sextett now I cannot say for sure. What I am sure of is that details were not leaping out at me anymore than with the K601.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back