Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #22,517 of 46,554
I'm sorry but I haven't heard the HD 600. I don't think it's going to be as good as the 650 though, at least not for my musical tastes. Before buying my 650's I did a lot of research and everything I read pointed me in their direction. Unlike almost any purchase I've ever made I have never regretted the HD 650's. If I never hear a better headphone I'll be happy with what I have.

I've also never heard the Magni but I've read many people say it works great so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup the Schiit Magni and Magni2Ü goes well with the HD650.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #22,518 of 46,554
Haha that's been my thing lately, more "artsy fartsy" metal. The HD650s really sing with that kinda stuff. 

It's also made me HAAAAAAATE a lot of modern death metal for the terrible over-compressed production with crappy plastic-sounding drum triggers. Ugh. :mad:

Nice call on the New German Hardness, too. There's something about the stomp of that stuff that makes seriously irresponsible driving music LOL

Hahaha...heavy metal marching music.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #22,519 of 46,554
  Aye, as soon as you mentioned blackgaze I was with you.
eek.gif

It's good to have a list of stuff I can safely avoid. I do like some New German Hardness now & again. Generally in the car, loud & fast.

Funeral Doom? Man, no thanks.

The only German Hardness I like the is the Sennheiser HDVA 600!  Built like a rock.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #22,520 of 46,554

Here's a perfect example. Have a listen to this on YouTube and then find yourself a lossless copy and listen again. This kind of music, rather than the fireworks sometimes held up as exemplars, is what I am really striving for...

Give this one a try. First track is OK. After that, pure female vocalist enjoyment with two of the worlds best guitarists. Dianna Reeves, Russell Malone and Romero Lubambo @ JazzBaltica 2004. In lossless format its priceless. Can also be heard on sensual-music dot com free of commercials.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #22,521 of 46,554
i was at my friends place today, he have the hd650 and the hd600 both new white drivers and both have the hd650 cable.
i switched the drivers between them.....and they sounded the same ?=/
the hd650 with hd600 driver sounded the same as hd650 with its original driver
the hd600 with hd650 driver sounded the same as hd600 with its original driver?:p

i thought the drivers was the thing that made the headphones sounds diff ?
or is the drivers of hd650 and hd600 the same ?
and the only thing that does make the sound diff are the filter thing ?

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #22,522 of 46,554

Haha that's been my thing lately, more "artsy fartsy" metal. The HD650s really sing with that kinda stuff. 

It's also made me HAAAAAAATE a lot of modern death metal for the terrible over-compressed production with crappy plastic-sounding drum triggers. Ugh. 
mad.gif

Nice call on the New German Hardness, too. There's something about the stomp of that stuff that makes seriously irresponsible driving music LOL

Artsy fartsy metal....

Those words have never been used in that combination by anyone ever.  kinda cool when you think of it that way......

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #22,523 of 46,554
Drivers are PART of the equation. The housing makes a huge difference as well, including the mesh OVER the drivers. Speakers are just one portion of the experience. 

People have been saying for years that each Grado line uses the same driver, the engineering is in the ear cups and housing. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #22,524 of 46,554

+1 the T1 can be just epic and must certainly offer the best performance to price ratio now it can often be found heavily discounted its stunning with a well matched tube amp the HD650's would soon be gathering dust.

That's what I keep reading and is exactly what I am trying to avoid... arghhh!

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #22,525 of 46,554
You think you sound like your dad? Everybody on here listens to dubstep and I don't even know what it is. And somebody mentioned "trap"?

You aren't missing anything... Dubstep is the ultimate example of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #22,526 of 46,554
Lmao im suprised you never knew what that is. Makes me wonder how many genres of music there is.

The bigger question is: how many different ways can one re-label the same club genre: EDM, Dance, Euro-Dance, Acid, House, Acid House, Techno, Detroit Techno, Rave, Trap, Dubstep, Garage.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #22,527 of 46,554
You aren't missing anything... Dubstep is the ultimate example of The Emperor's New Clothes.

To be fair to dub step, at least it isn't 'funeral doom'. Dear God, can you imagine what that must sound like?

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #22,528 of 46,554
To be fair to dub step, at least it isn't 'funeral doom'. Dear God, can you imagine what that must sound like?

Ha ha... funny thing is, as a life-long metal fan, I can sort-of put those two words together and imagine what that might sound like - not good.

What metal was and what it is now are very different animals... all you need to do is read the fan reviews of Opeth's newer releases. They are now classified as Progressive Metal (whatever that means), but their earlier sound was more like Death Metal (whatever that means).

Personally, I just love Opeth's newer stuff - their last two releases are favorite albums of mine - but their original fan base is really pissed off; I think they miss all of the growling vocals.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #22,530 of 46,554

Your 3rd post. Welcome to Head-Fi!

The 650's aren't actually that difficult to drive from a technical perspective but they have an eminently tweakable sound which can be tailored with different amps to suit different tastes...That's not as simple as it sounds for some headphones. Sometimes it's deep & low but has a bloom kinda effect. Not good.

Excellent post.  I have to agree.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back