Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #26,296 of 46,554
  Right o, Project ember it is.

In the meantime, for a temporary measure, what do you think of the Bravo Audio Blue Ocean and V2? (for the next 2 months)

I went from an Bravo V2 to the Ember II. Suffice it to say, you will get sound from the Bravo V2 and Senn 650s but do NOT judge the 650s on the Bravo amp. Compared to the Ember, they will sound thin and ultimately unimpressive. But, you'll be able to see the potential in these cans, you just won't realize it. The Ember will be a breath of fresh air, trust me on this.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #26,297 of 46,554
  I'm going to have to try the Ember some day. It's on my short list. 

I had the Ember a year or two ago, Matt (so pre-supercharger.. and that's a big deal b/c I prefer the 12v tubes (12BH7/A, E80CC) that the SC makes possible to use with the Ember).  It's a very nice amp for sure.. very versatile, of course.. you know the tubes I've had (good ones), too.  In the end, I preferred a souped up SB'ed Crack (upgraded pot, caps, wiring, jacks, etc.) to the Ember (as far as the 650 is concerned).  I'd be curious to hear how the SC Ember would stack up, though.  The Amperex 6085 & Tungsram E80CC, when run in a circuit that's optimized for them, tend to sound better than almost any 12AU7 I've used.

The thing is.. there's another amp I owned in the past (it's a hybrid) that I liked even more than the Crack w/ the 650.  That's all I'm going to say..

wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #26,299 of 46,554
  Sigh.

Let's see... D5000 - AD2000 - LCD-2 - HE560 - Pro 900.... those are just some of the headphones I've owned over the years.

But by god if the HD650 didn't blow all of them away with its sound signature alone... It's just so pleasant to listen to. I'm glad I sold the rest of my headphones.

The hunt ends here I suppose.

Except for the amplifier part >:).

I'm currently using a DacMini CX after selling my Burson Conductor, and its headphone amp is pretty damn good, but I'm sure there are great combinations out there, any suggestions my good chaps =3? (in the 200-500 dollar range :B)

Having both the Ember and BH Crack, I'd go with the Crack only if you don't have any other headphones that like OTL tube amps.  If you still had the HE-560 and HD-650 I would go with the Ember, its much more flexible it that it will drive planar and high Z headphones quite well.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #26,302 of 46,554
Hi everyone!

I have been using my 650 for over a month now and I am blown away to say the least. I'm super new to hifi but I got to say after using the 650 everything pales in comparison to me. Anyways I want to plan out my upgrade path for my dac/amp and could use some advice. Currently I'm using a budget Fiio E07K/E09K combo. I'm not made of money so I have to take things slow and feel like the a dac would be a nice place to start. I constantly here people suggesting amps like the crack or this ember deal but what dacs does everyone use our suggest? I would appreciate the help!

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #26,305 of 46,554
Hi everyone!

I have been using my 650 for over a month now and I am blown away to say the least. I'm super new to hifi but I got to say after using the 650 everything pales in comparison to me. Anyways I want to plan out my upgrade path for my dac/amp and could use some advice. Currently I'm using a budget Fiio E07K/E09K combo. I'm not made of money so I have to take things slow and feel like the a dac would be a nice place to start. I constantly here people suggesting amps like the crack or this ember deal but what dacs does everyone use our suggest? I would appreciate the help!

My DACs are Teac UD-301 and Bifrost with Amps Lyr2, Ember, and BH Crack.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #26,307 of 46,554
Just want to add, I had the WA7 with both the Electroharmonix and stock tubes, and I found it to be very dull with little sparkle on both the LCD-2 and the HE-560 (Auditioned it for 10 minutes with a HD650 as well).

Do you still recommend the Ember after my dislike of the WA7?

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #26,308 of 46,554

don't forget to get the 6SN7 adapter

+1

Hi everyone!

I use an ODAC & it sounds great. It's only USB though so if you need more input options the Modi Uber or Dacmagic 100 would be better options.

Just want to add, I had the WA7 with both the Electroharmonix and stock tubes, and I found it to be very dull with little sparkle on both the LCD-2 and the HE-560 (Auditioned it for 10 minutes with a HD650 as well).

The Ember is anything but dull.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #26,309 of 46,554

I was going to get a used WA7d (stock tubes) but after listening to it with my HE-560, HD-800, HD-700 and HD-650 I didn't get it, the sound was not as dynamic as the Ember and BH Crack.  Have heard that the DAC section is not that good so that may have been the reason, YMMV.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #26,310 of 46,554
Thanks for everyone's responses. You're already helping me narrow down my choices!

Would you like a tube or ss amplifier? Budget?

What is the source material?

You may be relieved to know that your cans will sound even better with quality equipment and source material.

Everyone seems to like tube amps for these headphones and I like the idea of changing tubes around. So I imagine a tube amp is where I will be going if it's not to much of a hassle compared to SS.

My budget is gonna pretty small at first $200 or so for each piece. But if it's very beneficial for me to just save for something higher price like a Bifrost our what not I'm not apposed to it.

My source material consists of Google play streaming, and some iTunes, however, I'm quickly building a library of lossless wav. Files from beatport which I play through Foobar2000/Aimp3. Not sure if I'm doing it right. Attempting to stream at 24/96K with wasapi but that has a been a mess lately the Fiio.

If it helps I listen to exclusively electric dance music. Lots of focus on trance, house, and hardstyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back