Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #36,466 of 46,554
Seriously considering giving this headphone a try. I've been away taking a break from headphones for a little while since selling my DT880 600 Ohms. Been on the headphone journey since 2012, still looking for my end-game set. Some noteworthy ones I've tried include the DT880, Denon D2000 and Grado 225i, M50x, Viso HP50 and more, all of which I've had to get rid of for varying reasons. DT880 were the most recent and I had them for the longest. I'd say they were the ones I was most satisfied with over all but their cold, clinical and somewhat bright sound made them not work for me in the long run. The Beyer was just too serious. "No time for laughing or smiling! We analyze the music now!" lol. If I could get my hands on something with similar technical chops, spare part availability and comfort but that was a less bright, a tad more bassy and just had a warmer, more musical presentation I think I'd finally be able to retire. I'm hoping that either the 650 or 600 would be that headphone.

When I have the money and time I think I'll go to Addicted to Audio here in Melbourne to demo the 600 and 650 side by side, hopefully walking out the door with one of them, but I honestly think the 650 sounds more like what I want. I'll be running whatever I end up with from my NFB 15.32

I know this is a well documented pair of headphones, but what do you guys think? Do you think it sounds like the kind of thing I'm after?

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #36,467 of 46,554
Seriously considering giving this headphone a try. I've been away taking a break from headphones for a little while since selling my DT880 600 Ohms. Been on the headphone journey since 2012, still looking for my end-game set. Some noteworthy ones I've tried include the DT880, Denon D2000 and Grado 225i, M50x, Viso HP50 and more, all of which I've had to get rid off for varying reasons. DT880 were the most recent and I had them for the longest. I'd say they were the ones I was most satisfied with over all but their cold, clinical and somewhat bright sound made them not work for me in the long run. The Beyer was just too serious. "No time for laughing or smiling! We analyze the music now!" lol. If I could get my hands on something with similar technical chops, spare part availability and comfort but that was a less bright, a tad more bassy and just had a warmer, more musical presentation I think I'd finally be able to retire. I'm hoping that either the 650 or 600 would be that headphone.

When I have the money and time I think I'll go to Addicted to Audio here in Melbourne to demo the 600 and 650 side by side, hopefully walking out the door with one of them, but I honestly think the 650 sounds more like what I want. I'll be running whatever I end up with from my NFB 15.32

I know this is a well documented pair of headphones, but what do you guys think? Do you think it sounds like the kind of thing I'm after?
Short answer, yes

600 and 650 two good headphones.

650 sounds a bit bassy at times with cheaper gear or can be nicely neutral with touch warmth with better gear

650 good level of detail. Honest sound

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #36,469 of 46,554
i'm blown away, i really thought the Lcd-3 would represent a huge upgrade to my old hd650, i was quite shocked when i finally got the Audeze, they just sound as a very little upgrade to me, just a bit more clear sounding, a bit more dynamic, a bit more textured, and that's all. (At least with a Lake People G109). These old good sens are quite a phenomenon regarding the new techologies and the price of today's supposed high end headphones. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #36,470 of 46,554
Short answer, yes

600 and 650 two good headphones.

650 sounds a bit bassy at times with cheaper gear or can be nicely neutral with touch warmth with better gear

650 good level of detail. Honest sound

Yeah I like that despite having a reputation for being on the warm side of things (even if only mildly) they're not allegedly a super coloured headphone. I was considering the Fidelio X2 but they just look far too V-shaped. Something with a bit of warmth and lushness while being balanced and relatively even handed is what I crave.

I think my 15.32 is a very nice unit, not high end summit fi placebo stuff but it should be more than a match for a 650, it did just fine with the beyer. I think it's a slightly warm sounding unit so that may capitalize upon the 650's existing warmth while still bringing out it's capabilities...

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #36,471 of 46,554
  i'm blown away, i really thought the Lcd-3 would represent a huge upgrade to my old hd650, i was quite shocked when i finally got the Audeze, they just sound as a very little upgrade to me, just a bit more clear sounding, a bit more dynamic, a bit more textured, and that's all. (At least with a Lake People G109). These old good sens are quite a phenomenon regarding the new techologies and the price of today's supposed high end headphones. 

Don't forget the big trade-off with weight. I hate heavy headphones so this whole summit-fi planar craze is just not doing it for me.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #36,472 of 46,554
  Seriously considering giving this headphone a try..........

Might be….I ignored the 650s for a long time since first hearing them in 2004, they came across then as a darker more veiled version of my HD580/600s and definitely not my cup of tea, since then a lot of water has since passed under the bridge.
But after acquiring my HD800Ss and selling off everything else along the way, my AKGS, Grados other Senns 580s, 600, 598s, 700s and recently my LCD2.2s I still wanted a secondary set of phones to throw around, literally.
Out of all the ones I forfeited the 600s were one of the last to go so having heard rumor the 650s may have actually changed (back in 2009?)… curiosity got the better of me and so I recently picked up a pair.
Now the earlier HD600s weren’t bad, maybe missing a bit of air (veil?) and I found the sound stage too convex for my liking, a reason I really liked the 700s. But…. these newer 650s are not what I remember at all, now they’re not the same class as the 800S, lacking the sophistication and air but do have excellent tonality, sound staging, not dark at all and quite enjoyable and very competent…not to forget they were Senns TOTL  from 2003-09 and for good reason. Where they excel IMHO is that they are sonically very even handed, not displaying any specific peculiarity which may eventually become irritating and so have very long staying abilities in ones headphone roster.
So yes, there are better phones out there but I can see the 650s continuing their legacy for a long time to come.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #36,473 of 46,554
Yeah I like that despite having a reputation for being on the warm side of things (even if only mildly) they're not allegedly a super coloured headphone. I was considering the Fidelio X2 but they just look far too V-shaped. Something with a bit of warmth and lushness while being balanced and relatively even handed is what I crave.

I think my 15.32 is a very nice unit, not high end summit fi placebo stuff but it should be more than a match for a 650, it did just fine with the beyer. I think it's a slightly warm sounding unit so that may capitalize upon the 650's existing warmth while still bringing out it's capabilities...
I wouldnt call the x2 SUPER coloured. They are punchy. I have a pair for movies. Good rumble and great for dialogue. I think they are a great blend of fun and detail for me. Have a listen when you sus out the sennheisers

I wouldn't use lush to describe the hd650

If within your budget sus out the he400i too. You MIGHT like them.

I think you will like the hd650 but just a matter of how muc
Take your amp with you if you can

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #36,474 of 46,554

Thought I'd hold onto my LCD2.s as a compliment /alternative to the 800S's but I'm finding the 650s fill that niche quite well... : )

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #36,475 of 46,554
That is exactly what the 650 sounds like right out of the box. Good ears! For me it was unlistenable. Didn't start sounding musical until 170 hours and went through many crazy phases, but then at about 200 hours...ohhhhh yeah And they're still improving slowly..

I've listened to many headphones that cost much more that are not as musically satisfying, including 'stats. I like mine best with my MicroZotl 2.0. New headphones need break-in.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #36,476 of 46,554
I wouldnt call the x2 SUPER coloured. They are punchy. I have a pair for movies. Good rumble and great for dialogue. I think they are a great blend of fun and detail for me. Have a listen when you sus out the sennheisers

I wouldn't use lush to describe the hd650

If within your budget sus out the he400i too. You MIGHT like them.

I think you will like the hd650 but just a matter of how muc
Take your amp with you if you can

Yeah not trying to overstate the colouration of the X2, but going by measurements the 650 looks like more of what I'm after. I worry that the X2 may be somewhat too drastic of a departure from what I like about the DT880, with the 650 being a more gradual transition to something different but with some degree of familiarity... I would certainly gladly give them a listen but I don't think Addicted to Audio stock them. If it turns out the 650 or 600 aren't for me then I'll look into trying them out instead, but there's other factors outside of suspected sound that make me gravitate towards the senn line (light weight and spare part availability).

As for the 400i, they're just too costly unfortunately. I really don't want to go above $500AU, the 650 being comfortably within that at $428 street price. Of course I could look for a used one that might get me under that figure with the 400i but then I could just get a used 650 to lower the price yet again. I'd rather go new in this case, anyhow. 

Speaking of, the Massdrop HD6XX sure has been tempting, it's what reminded me of the 650 in the first place. But, I've decided that if I do pull the trigger I'd rather get a 650 due to the availability (of which massdrop is very inconvenient for), the cable of which I prefer the 650's and most importantly the looks 
biggrin.gif
 I'm after an end-game headphone here after all, and I know that in long run I'll be glad I paid the premium for a 650 every time I lay eyes on it. I've always liked the look of the 650, in no small part due to the paint job. The 6XX's blue just doesn't do it for me at all. It looks cheap. I'm sure many are willing to make that compromise for the saving, I can understand that, but I'm the type willing to pay a premium (within reason) for good looks.

And yes, good suggestion. Bringing my amp is a great idea to be 100% sure about things.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #36,477 of 46,554
Which headphone sounds more fun and musical? HD 650 or HD 600?

I once had a ATH M50 and it was boring as ass. It was so weird, going from the HD 598 to the M50 was like going from stereo to mono I am not kidding. Is this what we call extension? reverb?

Why would the M50 sound so bad to my ears? when I say bad I mean non musical. Could it be because the HD 598 has E.A.R technology by Sennheiser? which gives it its 3D sound? does the HD 600 also have this 3D like sound? what of the 650?

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #36,478 of 46,554
  Which headphone sounds more fun and musical? HD 650 or HD 600?

I once had a ATH M50 and it was boring as ass. It was so weird, going from the HD 598 to the M50 was like going from stereo to mono I am not kidding. Is this what we call extension? reverb?

Why would the M50 sound so bad to my ears? when I say bad I mean non musical. Could it be because the HD 598 has E.A.R technology by Sennheiser? which gives it its 3D sound? does the HD 600 also have this 3D like sound? what of the 650?

That is most likely you preferring having an actual soundstage for decent imaging, which an open headphone is bound to do better in most cases. The M50 has a pretty constricted soundstage, even for a headphone of its type, and was probably the only big thing I didn't like about its sound. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #36,479 of 46,554
  Speaking of, the Massdrop HD6XX sure has been tempting, .................
........................................but I'm the type willing to pay a premium (within reason) for good looks.

ditto

Just yesterday I received notice from Massdrop at a chance to join the drop and have until tomorrow to commit...... but really… strip away all the hype and modeling shots on the "HD6XX" and with an objective point of view, disregarding the acoustic performance, the 6XXs really in this day and age might not pass as a sub $199 headphone...at least on looks alone
redface.gif
..and as I already having the 650s with their professional looking lacquered polished finish
biggrin.gif
...I may pass.... .
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #36,480 of 46,554
  That is most likely you preferring having an actual soundstage for decent imaging, which an open headphone is bound to do better in most cases. The M50 has a pretty constricted soundstage, even for a headphone of its type, and was probably the only big thing I didn't like about its sound. 

ooh I see thanks I suspect the same thing.

Because a few weeks ago I bought the Phillips shp 9500 and while I sold it because it was too harsh in the treble and pad material were cheap, one thing is certain they sounded nothing like the M50 which was a big plus in my book the 9500 sounded as music was supposed to sound so I too am guessing its because its also open back.

I have decided on the HD 600 and if it has better soundstage than the shp 9500 then I think it will be golden for me. To me the M50 was a massive disappointment given what its asking price was I think I paid $150 for it like 6 years ago I sold it in less than a week the HD 558 or 555 was a better value for money and could be modded into a free 598

Users who are viewing this thread

Back