Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #37,217 of 46,554
On another topic, does anyone have any experiences with these things?

http://audioclub.pro/category/accessories/wood-caps/

These are wood cups for the HD650. Was curious to know how these would affect the sound signature. I know one user tried them and claimed it didn't change the signature much, but I find that hard to believe.

Also, has anyone here used any of the HD650/600 wood mods from headphile? Am curious about how those affect the sound signature.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #37,218 of 46,554
I'm pretty sure Sennheiser is not discontinuing the HD650, because if they want to discontinue any model it would be the 600 since it is the older one.
HD600 launched in 1997
HD650 launched in 2003

Logic would dictate that the older model should be phased out first.

But this is not going to happen since
a) The HD 6XX series is legen-wait for it-dary.
b) They still move a lot of these headphones.(good revenue)
c) IMHO its still the HP most people buy if they are in the market for their 1st open back reference headphone.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #37,219 of 46,554
Why the HD650 is cheaper on Amazon. I guess it's to do with the supply chain. Less people taking their cut = less price for the customer. I don't think it's got anything to do with stock clearance.

Plus if you go their website its got the Hi Res logo on the product page. This is a modern development and Senn is milking it. 
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

Also the HD800's MSRP is  $ 1,399.95  but its selling for less than $1000 on Amazon from 3rd party sellers and that has nothing to do with stock clearance. If you are getting a good deal jump on it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #37,220 of 46,554
About a month ago I bought the He400i because of how cheap they are. I had bought them a year ago and decided I needed the money despite how good they sounded and how much I liked their sound. Well this time my impressions weren't the same. I've gotten a lot better at audio engineering in the past year, so it could be I'm pickier, but I think I may have gotten a bad pair because of how awfully harsh they were. I decided to return them and get the HD650 instead. WOW, I couldn't be happier. The sound is so smooth, balanced and detailed. Soundstage isn't as good as the HE400i, but I think it's more accurate. The tonal balance of these suits my tastes perfectly. Now to get a better amplifier...

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #37,221 of 46,554
About a month ago I bought the He400i because of how cheap they are. I had bought them a year ago and decided I needed the money despite how good they sounded and how much I liked their sound. Well this time my impressions weren't the same. I've gotten a lot better at audio engineering in the past year, so it could be I'm pickier, but I think I may have gotten a bad pair because of how awfully harsh they were. I decided to return them and get the HD650 instead. WOW, I couldn't be happier. The sound is so smooth, balanced and detailed. Soundstage isn't as good as the HE400i, but I think it's more accurate. The tonal balance of these suits my tastes perfectly. Now to get a better amplifier...

Yessir agree with how you feel about the hd's. I have mine running off of the Valhalla 2 and I'm loving everything I play through them

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #37,222 of 46,554

But this is not going to happen since

a) The HD 6XX series is legen-wait for it-dary.
b) They still move a lot of these headphones.(good revenue)
c) IMHO its still the HP most people buy if they are in the market for their 1st open back reference headphone.

...since the HD-650 is the most popular set of 'phones on the most prolific site on the Internet for headphone enthusiasts.
Sorry... Germans just aren't that stupid 
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #37,223 of 46,554
  I wouldn't count on anything being discontinued until Sennheiser says so.  We have had at least half a dozen "OMG discontinued" scares of the 6x0 series over the last decade.  Nothing ever came of it.

Does Sennheiser typically announce that a specific headphone will be discontinued soon or by a certain date while it's still available?  Or do they keep quiet until maybe after the fact?

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #37,224 of 46,554
Does Sennheiser typically announce that a specific headphone will be discontinued soon or by a certain date while it's still available?  Or do they keep quiet until maybe after the fact?

I think they would be at least announcing a new model. They are at CES this week and it would be the perfect time for them to do so, but not a word so far.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #37,226 of 46,554
Thanks mate, I can get the JDSLabs ODAC+Objective2 delivered to Ireland for just over 300 euro, is there anything else I should be looking at in that price range?

Look at this:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier

The manufacturer for Massdrop is:

http://www.headnhifi.com

I think that if you need the combo it can be purchased directly from the manufacturer, but the current offer of the sole amp from Massdrop is worth to be considered.
Then you can chose the DAC that you like most, and upgrade your system in the future.
To me the O2 amp works great with my HD650.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #37,227 of 46,554
I think they would be at least announcing a new model. They are at CES this week and it would be the perfect time for them to do so, but not a word so far.

Yeah, I guess that's how they'd do it.  They did announce and release the new 5xx line recently while the previous 5xx line was still available.  I think for very popular and highly regarded cans like the 650, there are always lots of people that have them on their wish lists, so it would be helpful if Sennheiser would release an official announcement that a specific model or line will be discontinued soon.  That would give those that are maybe saving up to buy them to work out the funds they need before they're gone.  Sure, you can always buy used, but not everyone wants used.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #37,229 of 46,554
The manufacturer for Massdrop is:

http://www.headnhifi.com

I think that if you need the combo it can be purchased directly from the manufacturer, but the current offer of the sole amp from Massdrop is worth to be considered.
Then you can chose the DAC that you like most, and upgrade your system in the future.
To me the O2 amp works great with my HD650.

Thanks mate, the O2 does look to be popular on this forum so it must be good. I'm reading a lot of good things about the Schiit Fulla 2 which many say is as good if not better than the O2/ODAC combo. It's also half the price at 125 euro so I'm leaning towards that at the moment but I won't be pulling the trigger for a few weeks yet. My HD650 won't arrive until Wednesday or Thursday so need to play around with them for a bit first

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #37,230 of 46,554
Thanks mate, the O2 does look to be popular on this forum so it must be good. I'm reading a lot of good things about the Schiit Fulla 2 which many say is as good if not better than the O2/ODAC combo. It's also half the price at 125 euro so I'm leaning towards that at the moment but I won't be pulling the trigger for a few weeks yet. My HD650 won't arrive until Wednesday or Thursday so need to play around with them for a bit first

Almost everyone who frequents this thread would tell you too stay away from the O2 for the 650, myself included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back