Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #37,232 of 46,554
What would be your reasons for this?

Dry and etched sound that does not pair well with high Z headphones.  I would recommend the O2 for warm, low Z dynamics and planars.  Though even then it is a stretch with Schiit basically dominating the budget market right now, and rightfully so.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #37,233 of 46,554
Dry and etched sound that does not pair well with high Z headphones.  I would recommend the O2 for warm, low Z dynamics and planars.  Though even then it is a stretch with Schiit basically dominating the budget market right now, and rightfully so.

Thanks for the advice. I currently have a Dragonfly 1.2, would I be better off just getting an amp to pair up with the Dragonfly such as the Vali 2 or Little Dot or would I get better results with just the Fulla 2? I must add I have limited experience with Dacs and amps and none at all with tube amps but I hear the Vali 2 and HD650 are great together

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #37,234 of 46,554
I got myself a pair of HD650, they are on the way. I just wanted to read something about them here and then I got scared... 2483 pages and 37233 posts. I also got a Darkvoice 336i and wanted to read about tubes and how tuberolling works. I am a total noob with HiFi and now I wonder What I got myself into.

I managed to get a basic understanding of the tube rolling thing on de DV based on the posts here.

Now I wonder were to start with the HD650.

Any advice?

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #37,236 of 46,554
I got myself a pair of HD650, they are on the way. I just wanted to read something about them here and then I got scared... 2483 pages and 37233 posts. I also got a Darkvoice 336i and wanted to read about tubes and how tuberolling works. I am a total noob with HiFi and now I wonder What I got myself into.

I managed to get a basic understanding of the tube rolling thing on de DV based on the posts here.

Any advice?

just listen to your gear for a few weeks or months and see how the sound suits you.  If you feel that there is something wrong of the sound signature is not something that you like then come back here and you can better info  once you know where you are.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #37,237 of 46,554
Thanks for the advice. I currently have a Dragonfly 1.2, would I be better off just getting an amp to pair up with the Dragonfly such as the Vali 2 or Little Dot or would I get better results with just the Fulla 2? I must add I have limited experience with Dacs and amps and none at all with tube amps but I hear the Vali 2 and HD650 are great together

I'm listening to 650 with my Dragonfly 1.2 right now and it sounds pretty darn good.  Detail, separation, soundstage, and smoothness are all very good.  Bass is tight, neutral, with decent impact in mid/high bass (compared to the setups below).  I'm at 40-50% system volume on most newer songs, whereas with my 50 Ohm 598s, I'm typically around 30%.

By comparison, with my Fiio e10k, which was half the price of the DF 1.2, there is a bit less smoothness, a bit less detail/resolution, but separation and soundstage are about the same.  Bass is noticeably less tight.  The differences aren't huge, but noticeable if you have discerning hearing.

By comparison, my Fiio e10k DAC line out to Magni 2, the sound gets fuller (less thin), a bit smoother still, but separation and soundstage are the worst of the 3 setups.  A more flat, and 2-dimensional sound.  Maybe the Magni 2 would sound better with another DAC.

Finally, trying the DF 1.2 headphone output to the Magni 2, the sound is way too thin and bright.  Actually, this is my least favorite setup.  Not listenable for too long.

The DF 1.2 is a great, little device and sounds great on its own, IMO.  Excellent detail, yet smooth, and very good resolution/control/tightness.  It lifts a veil to the music and especially vocals sound so detailed and "right there."  However, it lacks some fullness to the sound and can sound a bit thin, but the tradeoff in detail may be worth it for some.  It'll play moderately loud with the 650s, but not super loud (good, saves your hearing).  Connecting it to other amps, your results may vary quite a bit.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #37,239 of 46,554
Okay, so after some extended listening with the 650 and DF 1.2, I am impressed.  The detail is excellent, at the expense of sounding a bit thin.  Vocals shine with great presence.  Background sounds are super easy to hear.  Everything stays in its place during busy songs.  Soundstage is very good.  The combination of the 650s slightly warm, smooth, and laid back sound with the DF 1.2's slightly bright but detailed and smooth sound makes for a good pairing IMO.  It almost transforms the 650 into an analytical can....almost.  EQing a bit of bass boost adds some warmth to make the pairing sound a bit fuller.  The DF 1.2 must be a detail/clarity/smoothness king in its price range.  I'm listening at 50% and everything is loud enough and clear.  Cranking volume to 100% is too loud for continuous listening, but sound stays coherent and doesn't distort.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #37,241 of 46,554
Okay, so after some extended listening with the 650 and DF 1.2, I am impressed.  The detail is excellent, at the expense of sounding a bit thin.  Vocals shine with great presence.  Background sounds are super easy to hear.  Everything stays in its place during busy songs.  Soundstage is very good.  The combination of the 650s slightly warm, smooth, and laid back sound with the DF 1.2's slightly bright but detailed and smooth sound makes for a good pairing IMO.  It almost transforms the 650 into an analytical can....almost.  EQing a bit of bass boost adds some warmth to make the pairing sound a bit fuller.  The DF 1.2 must be a detail/clarity/smoothness king in its price range.  I'm listening at 50% and everything is loud enough and clear.  Cranking volume to 100% is too loud for continuous listening, but sound stays coherent and doesn't distort.

That's reassuring to hear as I own a dragonfly 1.2. I was planning on getting a Fulla 2, would there be any point in your opinion?

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #37,242 of 46,554
That's reassuring to hear as I own a dragonfly 1.2. I was planning on getting a Fulla 2, would there be any point in your opinion?

I can't comment on the sound of the Fulla 2.  It likely has more power, but like I said, the DF 1.2 is plenty loud with the 650s.  It depends if you need any of the additional versatility and features that the Fulla 2 offers, and how you like the sound pairing of the DF 1.2 and 650.  I'd hold off on getting anything until you've had some extending listening time with the DF 1.2 and 650.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #37,243 of 46,554
Well, I couldn't resist any longer and bit on a pair from Amazon (UK). Should be here by the end of the week. 

I may need to hand my wallet over to my wife so she can keep me from digging this hole even deeper. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #37,244 of 46,554
Trip down memory lane just a year after joining head-fi…..

Review: Sennheiser HD650 Headphones, Written by Wes Phillips, OnHiFi.com April 2004

http://www.onhifi.com/product/sennheiser_hd650.htm

and he ends…

The Sennheiser HD 650s are good enough to make any audiophile reconsider his prejudice against headphones. In fact, they're so good, I might even argue that the highest resolution most audiophiles can achieve these days is through a pair of those remarkable cans.
That you "can do" that for less than $500 isn't just good news, it's nothing short of a miracle -- like the HD 650s.
 ...Wes Phillips
wes@onhifi.com

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #37,245 of 46,554

Any advice?

It's okay, just start from right now and over the next month or two, every topic that has been discussed will be discussed again. Cables, amps, dacs, source, comparisons of HD650s to *insert popular underdog here*... It's like a carousel; everything comes back around again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back