Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #37,276 of 46,554
I can't listen at 100% with my DF 1.2 and 650.  It's way too loud.  The DF is much louder than my laptop built-in sound, and my laptop sound is above average.

Either my DF is different than yours, your settings somewhere are not optimal, or you just like to listen very, very loudly.  Make sure your Spotify player volume is always at max, and then adjust the windows system volume with keyboard or dedicated volume controls.  Are you using the Spotify desktop client, or listening through the web player?

I'm listening through the desktop client. The volume is a at max in Spotify and the laptop. Not sure what else could be different. Maybe the sound card is not great on the laptop??

I do like listening quite loud but with my AKG 550s I would have the volume at about 60-70% and it would be very loud. So there is definitely a difference with the HD650 with regards volume levels

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #37,277 of 46,554
I'm listening through the desktop client. The volume is a at max in Spotify and the laptop. Not sure what else could be different. Maybe the sound card is not great on the laptop??

I do like listening quite loud but with my AKG 550s I would have the volume at about 60-70% and it would be very loud. So there is definitely a difference with the HD650 with regards volume levels

Sound card/chip in the laptop should not have an effect on how the Dragonfly sounds.  I think you just like to listen quite loudly.

All I can suggest is to double-check the Spotify desktop client volume (as it's a bit difficult to tell if it's at max by looking at it, grab the slider and slide it all the way to the right).  Also, I'm assuming you're using windows.  Right-click volume icon in system tray, and select volume mixer (while Spotify is open and DF plugged in) and make sure volume level of each item is the same.  Also, right-click volume icon and select Playback Devices, make sure Dragonfly is the default device, then double-click the DF entry, Advanced tab, select restore defaults.  Finally, you may want to try plugging the DF into each of your USB ports and trying each one.  It's possible that some USB ports provide less power than others, and may have an effect on the output.  Just guessing here.  Make sure you're plugged into a power supply plugged into the wall, too.

That's all I can think of right now.  Hope it helps.  Maybe you will need an amp after all.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #37,278 of 46,554
Sound card/chip in the laptop should not have an effect on how the Dragonfly sounds.  I think you just like to listen quite loudly.

All I can suggest is to double-check the Spotify desktop client volume (as it's a bit difficult to tell if it's at max by looking at it, grab the slider and slide it all the way to the right).  Also, I'm assuming you're using windows.  Right-click volume icon in system tray, and select volume mixer (while Spotify is open and DF plugged in) and make sure volume level of each item is the same.  Also, right-click volume icon and select Playback Devices, make sure Dragonfly is the default device, then double-click the DF entry, Advanced tab, select restore defaults.  Finally, you may want to try plugging the DF into each of your USB ports and trying each one.  It's possible that some USB ports provide less power than others, and may have an effect on the output.  Just guessing here.  Make sure you're plugged into a power supply plugged into the wall, too.

That's all I can think of right now.  Hope it helps.  Maybe you will need an amp after all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try a few different usb ports to see if it helps. Also I was running off the laptop on battery so will try plug it in to see if that helps too.

To be honest I'm kinda intrigued to find out how tube amps sound so I am tempted to get a Schiit Vali 2 or other tube amp but I will play around with the Dragonfly for a few weeks yet to get used to the sound signature before moving on to something different

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #37,279 of 46,554
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try a few different usb ports to see if it helps. Also I was running off the laptop on battery so will try plug it in to see if that helps too.

To be honest I'm kinda intrigued to find out how tube amps sound so I am tempted to get a Schiit Vali 2 or other tube amp but I will play around with the Dragonfly for a few weeks yet to get used to the sound signature before moving on to something different

Good idea to listen with the DF for a while to get used to it.  A good tube amp should be the opposite of the Dragonfly.  It'll sound warm, not bright, full, not thin, rich, lush, and musical versus detailed and analytical.  I bought a cheap hybrid tube amp, the nobsound 08e, and although it has the low end warmth, it's also too bright/sharp in the highs for my taste.  The thing with tube amps is getting into trying different tubes.  If you have the money, time to research, and mess around with, it's great.  For me, I don't have the time, money, or patience.  I want something that sounds awesome right away, so I can just relax and enjoy it.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #37,280 of 46,554

Good idea to listen with the DF for a while to get used to it.  A good tube amp should be the opposite of the Dragonfly.  It'll sound warm, not bright, full, not thin, rich, lush, and musical versus detailed and analytical.  I bought a cheap hybrid tube amp, the nobsound 08e, and although it has the low end warmth, it's also too bright/sharp in the highs for my taste.  The thing with tube amps is getting into trying different tubes.  If you have the money, time to research, and mess around with, it's great.  For me, I don't have the time, money, or patience.  I want something that sounds awesome right away, so I can just relax and enjoy it.

Get yourself a Project Polaris.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #37,281 of 46,554

I can't listen at 100% with my DF 1.2 and 650.  It's way too loud.  The DF is much louder than my laptop built-in sound, and my laptop sound is above average.

Either my DF is different than yours, your settings somewhere are not optimal, or you just like to listen very, very loudly.  Make sure your Spotify player volume is always at max, and then adjust the windows system volume with keyboard or dedicated volume controls.  Are you using the Spotify desktop client, or listening through the web player?

MIne are at about 65-70% max. Louder is way too loud...

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #37,283 of 46,554
It's not about how loud something is. It's about control of the diaphragm. I really doubt any of the Dragonfly models are adequate for an hd600/650. These are not 300ohm headphones regardless of what the marketing material says. You really need to put some power into them. 

I think a better amp would change your mind quite quickly. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #37,284 of 46,554
  It's not about how loud something is. It's about control of the diaphragm. I really doubt any of the Dragonfly models are adequate for an hd600/650. These are not 300ohm headphones regardless of what the marketing material says. You really need to put some power into them. 

I think a better amp would change your mind quite quickly. 

You would be surprised. My my own disbelief DF Black is quite capable to drive them. Not super amazing, but enjoyable.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #37,285 of 46,554

I know.  Which is why my previous posts stated the sound is thin with the Dragonfly.  I was simply discussing perceived loudness.  The Dragonfly 1.2 does have 1.8V output so it does a decent job driving them.  Nothing like more potent amps, of course.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #37,286 of 46,554

Agreed.  The other day, I was at 50% and that sounded loud, but today, I discovered 70% is loud.  50% is medium.  100% is just way too loud for more than a few seconds.  Again, Dragonfly 1.2 for those wondering.

@ld100
@PaulieB

If you have a smart phone use a db meter app to get a better idea of how loud you listen, this way it makes it easier for others to relate.  For me my normal listening level is 68-74db for most headphones, with some like the HE-560 its usually a touch higher at 71-78db.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #37,287 of 46,554
  @ld100
@PaulieB

If you have a smart phone use a db meter app to get a better idea of how loud you listen, this way it makes it easier for others to relate.  For me my normal listening level is 68-74db for most headphones, with some like the HE-560 its usually a touch higher at 71-78db.

Damn.  Then how do we compensate for all the various amounts of lint and crap blocking each person's phone mic? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #37,288 of 46,554

Damn.  Then how do we compensate for all the various amounts of lint and crap blocking each person's phone mic? 
biggrin.gif

some of the db meter apps can be adjusted/calibrated based on the mic and it gives you a db range/scale for a typical environment so you can do some rough calibration.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #37,289 of 46,554
Are the hd600 and 650 being discontinued???
Some guy posted a thread regarding that on reddit saying that moon audio is listing them as discontinued by the manifacturer....

Wouldnt that be a stupid move.by sennheiser? Discontinue 2 legendary headphones without even having anounced their sucessors?

Cheers

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #37,290 of 46,554
Are the hd600 and 650 being discontinued???

Oddly in this day and age and with such a popular phone no one has a definitive answer?
confused.gif

Sennheiser may not divulge anything but maybe Moon Audio can give us  an insight...probably just as easy enough to contact them.   https://www.moon-audio.com/contacts  
...maybe they just "discontinued" carrying them as in protest to lost sales with the success of the $200 HD6xx and the pending (as of today) 46,850 Massdrop user requests.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back