Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #37,951 of 46,554
deadhorse.gif

down the wabbit hole, this thread.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #37,956 of 46,554
  I have a question about the clamp in HD 600 and 650, since I hear they've got a whole lot of clamping force. Can you declamp, and I mean declamp the heck out of them without breaking anything?

If the clamping force was too high for you at first, probably not. If it was just a tiny bit much, they relax. 

They don't clamp very much to me, like, at all. They might have not enough clamping force for me actually, so that is really personal and should be tested directly. 
Give it one week you won't even notice it.

Pretty much this is what holds true most of times! 

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #37,957 of 46,554
Actually there is no need to do anything. The clamping is exaggerated. My head is not small, and I love how comfortable the HD650 is.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #37,959 of 46,554
  I have a question about the clamp in HD 600 and 650, since I hear they've got a whole lot of clamping force. Can you declamp, and I mean declamp the heck out of them without breaking anything?

Depends on the person, for me the HD650 and HD600 brand new gave me a headache after a few minutes, and you can gently bend the metal sliders to reduce the clamp if its really needed but don't over do it since it needs some force to create a good seal.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #37,961 of 46,554
  Depends on the person, for me the HD650 and HD600 brand new gave me a headache after a few minutes, and you can gently bend the metal sliders to reduce the clamp if its really needed but don't over do it since it needs some force to create a good seal.

Thanks. Seems it is a problem after all. I have trouble when there's clamping with headphones and eyeglasses, so it's probably prudent to stay away. I'll pay more and get the SRH1840 then, it seems to be a champ when it comes to clamping comfort (I love how nicely it stretches).

I found clamping on the X1s so bad I needed to stretch them so much they would sometimes fall off my head. It's those stupidly rigid stainless steel bands. After the stretch they weren't uncomfortable, but headphones being loose on your head isn't a good thing. Perhaps my head is made of glass, which I guess is odd considering the 65cm hat size.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #37,963 of 46,554
  Thanks. Seems it is a problem after all. I have trouble when there's clamping with headphones and eyeglasses, so it's probably prudent to stay away. I'll pay more and get the SRH1840 then, it seems to be a champ when it comes to clamping comfort (I love how nicely it stretches).

I found clamping on the X1s so bad I needed to stretch them so much they would sometimes fall off my head. It's those stupidly rigid stainless steel bands. After the stretch they weren't uncomfortable, but headphones being loose on your head isn't a good thing. Perhaps my head is made of glass, which I guess is odd considering the 65cm hat size.

Honestly, I'd give them about 30-50 or so hours of use, before I'd give up on them, if I were you.  I have a big head, and the clamping was a bit tight out of the box, but not as bad as the X2 I had.  The 650 clamping eased very quickly for me, maybe about after a week or so of 2-3 hours a day usage.  I did not bend the metal band as some suggest, but I did carefully stretch them out and hold for several seconds, several times.  I think this may have helped as well.  The X2 never did ease up for me like the 650 did.

Don't give up on the 650 before you've given them a chance.  The slightly tight clamping force out of the box does tend to ease for most folks.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #37,964 of 46,554

The style of the frame of the glasses (one pair is snug to the side of my head and quite comfortable with most of my headphones while an older pair (more stylish) as a gap and is not as comfortable) makes a big difference on how comfortable the headphones feel and it also impacts the sound depending on the headphones.  I ware glasses some times and the HD650 is okay for me after bending the slider a touch by the SRH-1840 is a bit better comfort wise to me.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #37,965 of 46,554
  The style of the frame of the glasses (one pair is snug to the side of my head and quite comfortable with most of my headphones while an older pair (more stylish) as a gap and is not as comfortable) makes a big difference on how comfortable the headphones feel and it also impacts the sound depending on the headphones.  I ware glasses some times and the HD650 is okay for me after bending the slider a touch by the SRH-1840 is a bit better comfort wise to me.

I never experienced a noticeable difference in comfort in wearing headphones with glasses or without, I guess I was unclear about that. I had glasses in the past which gave me trouble. My current pairs are big enough, light and have thin arms. I learned to take good care in selecting frames, and buy Japanese or German brands (Italian are garbage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back