Sennheiser HD650 vs Denon AH-D2000 vs Audio-technica ATH-AD1000
Jan 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dzonylan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

my question is like in subject.

Whitch one would u prefer: Sennheiser HD650 vs Denon AH-D2000 vs Audio-technica ATH-AD1000
and why? :)

They all have good revievs and similiar price.

Please help me choose!

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 11
It's not a question of what we prefer. What you need to do is decide what kind of sound YOU prefer and try to find it in the descriptions others have supplied. Obviously the HD650 is considered less bright, quite neutral, very good for acoustic music. The Denon is more a "fun phone, more sparkly, very powerful bass. All this can be found in the comments, and this is the value of Head-Fi. People telling you what they prefer is of no use. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
It's not a question of what we prefer. What you need to do is decide what kind of sound YOU prefer and try to find it in the descriptions others have supplied. Obviously the HD650 is considered less bright, quite neutral, very good for acoustic music. The Denon is more a "fun phone, more sparkly, very powerful bass. All this can be found in the comments, and this is the value of Head-Fi. People telling you what they prefer is of no use.

It should go without saying, but unfortunately it not only has to be stated, but also highlighted and repeated. I'm hoping others read and are granted wisdom by these sage words, but I'm ultimately doubtful, and am now wondering why I even bothered.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Guys, I know you're annoyed, but let's not make anyone feel unwelcome.

I tell everyone about how head-fi, out of all the forums I'm subscribed to, is the most fun to be a part of. I've had no bickering with anyone, just friendly members, with endless amounts of knowledge. So let's not take that away from anyone just because we're getting annoyed.

Back to the topic, like mentioned earlier, it's hard to tell what would be a good suggestion for you, without a set of preferences you look for in a headphone... If I was forced to push you in a direction, I'd say that of the three you listed, I feel if you went with the HD650, it'd be a pretty safe bet. Out of the three, it may not always be best for a particular genre of music, but it will also never be a poor choice for any genre of music.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 11
You're right Brian, my bad.

FWIW OP, the HD650 is a great headphone, but it will only be as good the gear you hook into. Also, you may want to look elsewhere if you like your bass and treble exaggerated.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
You're right Brian, my bad.

FWIW OP, the HD650 is a great headphone, but it will only be as good the gear you hook into. Also, you may want to look elsewhere if you like your bass and treble exaggerated.

Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention that... The HD650 does require some good gear to shine. And I'm assuming by the three phones you listed, that those three were listed due to their price ranges?

And if this is the case, the HD650 will take you out of that price range a bit, because of the addition of a nice amp to take it to its' full potential.

Like olor1n was saying, if you're looking for something bass & treble exaggerated, the HD650 isn't really meant for that. What would be a better choice, for that preference, would be the D2000. And the need of an amp isn't as necessary on those. You'll be able to have fun running them out of your ipod/computer/etc, and should be able to go without wanting to buy an amp for a little while. That will make your wallet happy for a little while also.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Guys, I know you're annoyed, but let's not make anyone feel unwelcome.

Yikes, did I sound annoyed? Not at all: I was simply trying to dissuade the OP from taking too much from other people's opinions and maybe making a bad buying decision. I personally disagree with most of the opinions posted here but nevertherless gain considerable knowledge from the general comments, and that, as I say, is the value of Head-Fi--not what other people like or dislike, but what they have to say about the sound quality of the phones they've heard (as opposed to those they haven't heard 
wink.gif
). If I sounded unwelcoming to the OP I certainly apologise.   

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Btw, I'm not stating you need to spend a million bucks to make the HD650 shine. Just the truism (lol) that a good source into a neutral amp will net you good results. Keep in mind, those results will scale accordingly if you're diligent enough to unleash great synergy through careful gear selection.
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Keep in mind, those results will scale accordingly if you're diligent enough to unleash great synergy through careful gear selection.

Wow, that sounds like the internal processes of an atomic reactor! Are you sure all that's required to get the 650 going?

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back