Sennheiser HD650
Oct 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jh4db536

500+ Head-Fier
WOW!!!:650smile:

These things ROCK and i haven't even broken them in yet (still tight on my average size head for now). They totally destroy my 555's which i thought were decent (ill admit they are the most comfortable cans i ever used). The 650 can actually do bass right, and the sound is so much richer and refined. I listen to rap to classical. They don't do certain genres perfectly yet (maybe needs break in), but everything else is awesome.

Here's the possible downside, these things need a lot of power to drive them. Before, i never used more than 11 o clock on my GLite + DPS or LD.MT. Now i find myself at 1 or 2 o'clock sometimes plus i upped the level on my source quite a bit. Non amped probably has little chance. Also, Mp3's sound bad even at 256 or 320...ugh i may need a new harddrive. I actually notice a difference on my FLAC encoded tracks.

Cliffnotes-
i wish i bought these first and didnt waste my time with anything else.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 16
You'll need a separate headphone amp as your next purchase since the HD650's DO need an amp to get the best performance out of them. I recommend the WooAudio 6 as a start.
smily_headphones1.gif
There are lots of topics covering these headphones as well as amps and sources to drive them and they're very popular here so it's pretty hard to miss a thread discussing them! Good luck!

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 16
DSCF1124-2.jpg

DSCF1126-1.jpg

excuse my lousy interconnects, i am a poor college student
Both amps make unique sounds solid state class A vs Hybrid Tube. The Gilmore lite Definitely hits harder on bass and i think it has a wider deeper stage. The micro tube makes some beautiful sound in mids and top end. Makes classical and most instruments (guitars, piano, violin, cello, etc) sound really realistic where the GLite sounds 'cold and analytical' in that range.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 16
Oh gawd... I'm getting ECSTATIC just listening to these!

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 16
Screw whatever Sennheiser has in stock for the future! I'm keeping my HD-650 until my grandkids's grandkid's use them!

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 16
The HD650 is an amazing set of cans, very musical. Wait until you burn them in that you'll really hear the full potential of these phones. Now for the that dac... :)

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the possible downside, these things need a lot of power to drive them. Before, i never used more than 11 o clock on my GLite + DPS Now i find myself at 1 or 2 o'clock

Dont worry this is normal. Using my grado 325i i'm about the 10 o clock poistion and when i swich to the HD650 i have to crank it up to 2 or 3 to get the same level of sound.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 16
X^2
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopstxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait until you try them balanced
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont worry this is normal. Using my grado 325i i'm about the 10 o clock poistion and when i swich to the HD650 i have to crank it up to 2 or 3 to get the same level of sound.

The HD650 also tend to 'bloom' more at higher volumes as compared to the Grados. Personally I think it has something to do with the loudness curve and the smiley-face EQ of the Grados.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh gawd... I'm getting ECSTATIC just listening to these!

I think we call that 'eargasm' around here.
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #14 of 16
While I have not heard the Gilmore lite, I believe it should be physically up to powering the Senns. The spec on headamp.com claims an output power of 1 watt. Assuming this to be true, that is more than needed. Now of course there are better, more expensive amps, such as GSX, b52, etc, but the physical volume you get should be clip-free and succulent.

Enjoy
600smile.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Congrats on the great set of cans! I'm absolutely smitten with my HD650 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back