Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jun 6, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #9,346 of 9,628
I've never believed that the 6xx is actually the same as the 650. Have you tried swapping the new pads from your 600 to your 6xx?
TO my ears I had 6XX for 2 years and didnt sound like 650 i am 100 % sure i had so many times side by side , and i was so curious why everyone said they was the shame ? compared to 650 , 6XX was warmer more muffled ... Thats why i kept only the 600,650,660s , i always thought that even 650 sound warm never sounded muffled to me .
And when people said to me 650 are muffled i always ask did u have the 6XX ? even my 58X sounded more energetic than 6XX .

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #9,347 of 9,628
I know that solderdude did not find a difference between the old and the new pads with his graphs but I believe there is one.

My 58X sound better with the new pads and I also suspect that my new version HD600 which shipped with the new pads sound so great also because of these new version pads.

This is also the reason that I cannot understand why I like my new version HD600 more than my HD6XX. Is it because of the pads or because the difference between these two models ....or because as some say HD650 is so much better than HD6XX....
I fully respect solderdude and his work , but in my opinion pads do have big difference the new Clear ring ones sound better , and last longer and have more space inside .

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #9,348 of 9,628
I've never believed that the 6xx is actually the same as the 650. Have you tried swapping the new pads from your 600 to your 6xx?
No because there are located in different countries....:)

However I have a new extra pair of new pads that I can put in 6XX but there is no reason since cannot compare directly.

I understand that the 58X driver is not the same with the 660s in order not to cannabilise sales. But the 6xx says 650 in the box and they had in the past also the original presentation box. To put so much effort to change the driver in order not to cannabilise sales...???

Or most probably they do use not the best drivers from the hand picked production and the result is somewhat different.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #9,350 of 9,628
No because there are located in different countries....:)

However I have a new extra pair of new pads that I can put in 6XX but there is no reason since cannot compare directly.

I understand that the 58X driver is not the same with the 660s in order not to cannabilise sales. But the 6xx says 650 in the box and they had in the past also the original presentation box. To put so much effort to change the driver in order not to cannabilise sales...???

Or most probably they do use not the best drivers from the hand picked production and the result is somewhat different.
Sure, cost need to be cut somewhere...
We'll never know exactly, probably better matched drives would be a good pace to start...

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #9,351 of 9,628
I caved and ordered a 660S2. After some listening, I definitely prefer my 660S both stock or with the Oratory EQ. For me at least, the slight bass extension and slightly less grainy treble of the 660S2 doesn't beat the wonderful mids of the 660S. For the genres I enjoy, something very much feels missing on the S2.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #9,352 of 9,628
I caved and ordered an 660S2. After some listeningm I definitely prefer my 660S both stock or with the Oratory EQ. The slight bass extension and slightly less grainy treble of the 660S2 doesn't beat the wonderful mids of the 660S. For me at least. Something very much feels missing on the S2.
In a lot of ways I did like the S2 more than the S, I found it sweeter, more liquid, and technically better. But I do think the S does have the edge on the mids, the original S is probably my favorite HD 6xx headphone in terms of mids. I do know what you're talking about with something missing as I did notice it to a degree myself, I thought it was the upper mids, but other headphones I own with just as if not more relaxed upper mids proved it's not that to me. I do want to try them again in the future on very different gear, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #9,353 of 9,628
That’s what tweaking a headphone sound is all about. You have to give up something to get something. And you eventually miss what you had to give up.

It’s like EQ. For everything you do, you undo something you don’t want undone.

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #9,354 of 9,628
Bass extension is so important to have built into the tuning and design of a driver. Mids can easily be enhanced by equalization.

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #9,355 of 9,628
Bass extension is so important to have built into the tuning and design of a driver. Mids can easily be enhanced by equalization.
Well, that depends on the acoustic space too, actually. There are a number of headphones that experience a phase-cancellation dip in the midrange, such as many of the Beyerdynamic headphones. These don't act like minimum-phase devices and actually have a FR dip due to outgoing sound (bouncing off earcup/head) cancelling out the incoming sound in a range where the enclosure would be resonant. The midrange in any such headphone will not respond well to EQ, as increasing the incoming sound will increase the reflected sound canceling it. This usually presents as a pronounced dip in the frequency response. Typically in the 2-4k range due to the internal volume of the headphone earcup.

I don't know if this is the behavior 660S2 exhibits, but that midrange dip looks a bit like one. Would love to see some sound science guys delve into this one a bit more.

Edit: This couldn't come off the enclosure though, otherwise 660S should experience it too. Perhaps the resonator tech they use has similar behavior within the driver space? Or maybe this is an intentional tuning decision. Not sure if the resonator could possibly have unintended consequences to the midrange, or if this is deliberate. I recall the 800S using the resonator to reduce 6kHz, but that was a known problem area.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #9,356 of 9,628
I can't stop listening and comparing. I can't deny the bass is nice and punchy on the 660S2. But I'm also noticing there is something thats really fatiguing to me over longer listening sessions. There's not that much extra treble, so I'm not sure why it would cause an issue. But the 660S seems much more pleasant and easy-going. In that sense, it's almost hard to consider the 660S2 any kind of follow-up to the 660S or even 650 and more-so its own entire thing.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #9,357 of 9,628
I can't stop listening and comparing. I can't deny the bass is nice and punchy on the 660S2. But I'm also noticing there is something thats really fatiguing to me over longer listening sessions. There's not that much extra treble, so I'm not sure why it would cause an issue. But the 660S seems much more pleasant and easy-going. In that sense, it's almost hard to consider the 660S2 any kind of follow-up to the 660S or even 650 and more-so its own entire thing.
There’s a persistent metallic graininess that is exciting at first then becomes grating.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #9,358 of 9,628
There’s a persistent metallic graininess that is exciting at first then becomes grating.
Yeah I did notice that, also noticed the bass seemed to fatigue me as well. The treble never got less annoying with use like it does on Tesla Beyers (becomes a non issue with use and once you adjust at least on some of them). Honestly to my ears the HD 660S2 sounds like the HD 650 mixed with the T1.3. In fact it was the T1.3 that ruined the S2 and made it kinda pointless in my headphones stable. I ended up replacing the S2 with an HD 650 as that fit in better with my other headphones. I already had the S when I got the S2. Fatigue, the sense it's lacking something, and it not fitting in my headphone stable caused me to let the S2 go.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #9,360 of 9,628
I hear no such "fatigue" whatsoever. And I'm very treble sensitive and enjoying the little extra the s2 has. Bass fatigue?? There is no such thing. :)
I’ve heard enough headphones to know that bass or in fact any part of the sound frequency can in fact fatigue me. I can tell the difference between fatigue caused by treble and by other frequencies. Some headphones simply create uncomfortable pressure at certain frequencies that wear on me with extended use, it’s not necessarily related to the presence of the frequency. Sometimes its the system that exasperates this. And it’s not a listening level thing as I listen at lower to moderate levels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back