Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #3,316 of 8,786
Just to make sure: Which branch of the iFi Pro iCAN do you use, the SS or the tubes? When do you experience the nice synergies with the HD 800 S, one of them or both?

From your gear list I see you have the Hugo 2. What are your experiences with the Hugo 2 and HD 800 S, without the iCAN as compared to with it?
Solid State. I just prefer the SS sound with the HD800S's. They sound really dynamic with it. In tube mode, the dynamic edge is softened a bit and you do lose a little treble energy but to be honest I have no problem with the HD800S's treble response.

The HD800S with the Hugo 2 I have yet to try the pairing on it's on. I do use the Hugo 2 as my DAC for the Pro iCan and they are phenomenal together. The reason being is I just prefer listening to the HD800S's with XBass+ on in balanced mode. Other headfiers like the Hugo 2 and HD800S combo I just haven't listened to them that way but I will try it.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #3,317 of 8,786
TT to me was best for hd800S. It’s darker, weight to the mids and bigger base than Hugo’s. Pair it up with gsx mk2 case closed

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #3,318 of 8,786
Hi guys , i would like to know your opinion about any change in HD800S sound over time ( Burn-in ) , my experience with my other cans ( Hifiman HE-560 , Denon 5000 , AKG Q 701 ) is that they changed for the better or that my brain adjusted to the new sound over time . I asked cause i have just received my new HD800S and was wondering if i should have bought the HD800 instead since i feel the highs are not as sparkled and detailed as i was expecting and feel the bass a little loose. My chain is iMac—Audirvana Plus 3 —- Benchmark DAC 3 HGC—-HD800S
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,319 of 8,786
Solid State. I just prefer the SS sound with the HD800S's. They sound really dynamic with it. In tube mode, the dynamic edge is softened a bit and you do lose a little treble energy but to be honest I have no problem with the HD800S's treble response.

The HD800S with the Hugo 2 I have yet to try the pairing on it's on. I do use the Hugo 2 as my DAC for the Pro iCan and they are phenomenal together. The reason being is I just prefer listening to the HD800S's with XBass+ on in balanced mode. Other headfiers like the Hugo 2 and HD800S combo I just haven't listened to them that way but I will try it.
Thanks! I‘m looking forward to read about your Hugo 2 -/+ iCAN experience.

PS: Have Hugo 2 and HD 800 S - just a smile on my face. Nevertheless, trying to get head-fiers‘ impressions when putting an amp in for even more happiness.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #3,320 of 8,786
Hi guys , i would like to know your opinion about any change in HD800S sound over time .............
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Going on almost 2 years next month with daily use and I appear to appreciate/like the 800S more and more, have they changed?…good question…obviously they must have aged somewhat, and if so (?) for the better IMHO. Personally I didn’t find a large discernible difference between the two 800s….the “S” just had a “touch” more warmth in the upper treble region…couldn't ever really say there was a difference in base or sound-staging…I was just listening to Sprongles’s “Museum of Consciousness” on CD and the base had excellent depth and weight, nothing felt lacking and the overall sound field is a treat on the 800Ss.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,321 of 8,786
Going on almost 2 years next month with daily use and I appear to appreciate/like the 800S more and more, have they changed?…good question…obviously they must have aged somewhat, and if so (?) for the better IMHO. Personally I didn’t find a large discernible difference between the two 800s….the “S” just had a “touch” more warmth in the upper treble region…couldn't ever really say there was a difference in base or sound-staging…I was just listening to Sprongles’s “Museum of Consciousness” on CD and the base had excellent depth and weight, nothing felt lacking and the overall sound field is a treat on the 800Ss.

Thanks a lot , i haven’ t had the chance to listen to the HD800 so that’s i was wondering if the sound between them would be very different , above all in clarity and detail retrieval . But from your opninon it is not that big to consider the HD 800 instead.
Thanks again for your help !!

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #3,322 of 8,786
Hey Rob80b,

Thanks for the Album mention....not a whole lot into Electronic music...but gave it a listen from your Video post....I bought it for something different....seems to be well recorded ?

Thanks!
Larry

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,323 of 8,786
Hey Rob80b,

Thanks for the Album mention....not a whole lot into Electronic music...but gave it a listen from your Video post....I bought it for something different....seems to be well recorded ?

Thanks!
Larry

Simon Posford always manages to get the sound correct and the other half of the duo...the 76 year old Raga Ram is older than me...lol.. and also a flutist to boot. : )
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 4.06.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #3,324 of 8,786
Simon Posford always manages to get the sound correct and the other half of the duo...the 76 year old Raga Ram is older than me...lol.. and also a flutist to boot. : )

I have always liked Jethro Tull...looks like I'll be adding another Flutist to my collection...Thanks again!!!

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #3,325 of 8,786
Thanks! I‘m looking forward to read about your Hugo 2 -/+ iCAN experience.

PS: Have Hugo 2 and HD 800 S - just a smile on my face. Nevertheless, trying to get head-fiers‘ impressions when putting an amp in for even more happiness.
@111MilesToGo I gave the HD800S's a go with the Hugo 2 alone this evening. After that listening to this combo I still prefer them balanced out of my Pro iCan with the Hugo 2 as my DAC. With the Hugo 2, I thought the HD800S's had to much upper mid and treble emphasis and not enough low end kick. I can say that the Hugo 2 is fully capable of driving them but there are dedicated amps out there that can drive them better IMO.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #3,326 of 8,786
I found today Hdvd800 dac/amp for hd800s is a very good combo since I bought.
Musical is finall goal.
Speed, detail, transparence.... etc, all that for what other than musical?

I will not say hdvd800 dac/amp is a good for all purpose of use.
I tried some audio paths : SP1000 -> hdvd800 (analog balance in, AMP alone) -> Hd800s balance out (1)

And

SP1000-> hdvd800 (optical in, DAC->AMP combo)-> Hd800s balance out (2). In another words, analog mode(1) and digital mode(2) on hdvd800.
Result in (2) is better than (1), I love to hear.
Before sp1000, my dap is ak120ii and with the same trial, I found dac/amp mode gives more clearity but not care for too much.
Later I got sp1000 and use it as in path (1) after few test and compare.
Because sp1000 and the dac inside hdvd800 have high level of all audio specs, and actually they sound quite same performance, I dont find the difference early.
The difference now I found between them is that how they render the singer voice and mix it into instruments. Hdvd800 dac/amp gives a more focus and realistic vocal and as a sphere shape. Sp1000 give a wider dimension for vocal but it like a oval shape which wider in Left Right direction.
On an orignal wide can like hd800(s), wide vocal source is not a need, IMO. Instrument in hdvd800 is wider in all dimension and also like sphere shape.
By that kind of render for vocal and instruments, Hdvd800 dac (PCM1792A, a R2R multibit chip) give a ear friendly imagine, a good headstage.

The same result if in chain (1) use analog single end.
For me, musicality compare : hdvd800 dac/amp > balance input amp mode > unbalance input amp mode.

In an audio path, final result is not a thing to judgement an element. Can say only those are well matching or not.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #3,327 of 8,786
Regarding the bass discussion wrt the HD 800 S: Any impressions when running the HD 800 S from a potent DAC like Chord Hugo 2, maybe even including a headphone amp like the Violectric HPA V281?
the HD 800S just can't handle bass at a certain point where as other headphones can take it a bit further.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,328 of 8,786
@111MilesToGo I gave the HD800S's a go with the Hugo 2 alone this evening. After that listening to this combo I still prefer them balanced out of my Pro iCan with the Hugo 2 as my DAC. With the Hugo 2, I thought the HD800S's had to much upper mid and treble emphasis and not enough low end kick. I can say that the Hugo 2 is fully capable of driving them but there are dedicated amps out there that can drive them better IMO.
@Slim1970 : Thanks a lot for your time and this insight.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,329 of 8,786
I found today Hdvd800 dac/amp for hd800s is a very good combo since I bought.
Musical is finall goal.
Speed, detail, transparence.... etc, all that for what other than musical?

I will not say hdvd800 dac/amp is a good for all purpose of use.
I tried some audio paths : SP1000 -> hdvd800 (analog balance in, AMP alone) -> Hd800s balance out (1)

And

SP1000-> hdvd800 (optical in, DAC->AMP combo)-> Hd800s balance out (2). In another words, analog mode(1) and digital mode(2) on hdvd800.
Result in (2) is better than (1), I love to hear.
Before sp1000, my dap is ak120ii and with the same trial, I found dac/amp mode gives more clearity but not care for too much.
Later I got sp1000 and use it as in path (1) after few test and compare.
Because sp1000 and the dac inside hdvd800 have high level of all audio specs, and actually they sound quite same performance, I dont find the difference early.
The difference now I found between them is that how they render the singer voice and mix it into instruments. Hdvd800 dac/amp gives a more focus and realistic vocal and as a sphere shape. Sp1000 give a wider dimension for vocal but it like a oval shape which wider in Left Right direction.
On an orignal wide can like hd800(s), wide vocal source is not a need, IMO. Instrument in hdvd800 is wider in all dimension and also like sphere shape.
By that kind of render for vocal and instruments, Hdvd800 dac (PCM1792A, a R2R multibit chip) give a ear friendly imagine, a good headstage.

The same result if in chain (1) use analog single end.
For me, musicality compare : hdvd800 dac/amp > balance input amp mode > unbalance input amp mode.

In an audio path, final result is not a thing to judgement an element. Can say only those are well matching or not.
I have the HDVA600 and run it from my Asus Xonar STX soundcard at the moment. The Sennheiser amps/dacamps are much better than I thought.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,330 of 8,786

Nice music, thank you Rob. Yello is also something you could consider, but you know that for sure, don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back