Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,332 of 8,785
Apr 29, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #3,333 of 8,785
(...) I asked cause i have just received my new HD800S and was wondering if i should have bought the HD800 instead since i feel the highs are not as sparkled and detailed as i was expecting and feel the bass a little loose. (...)

Maybe you should check the AKG K812 or even a recent AKG K701 depending on your preferences.
K701 is leaner and more forward in the upper midrange while K812 is closer to HD800S in terms of signature, but retaining the sparkle and quick punch.

HD800 is not very different from HD800S in my experience, a little bit drier overall / more steely tonality.
Your setup might play a role, since these headphones are quite sensitive to DAC/Amp matching.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,334 of 8,785
Maybe you should check the AKG K812 or even a recent AKG K701 depending on your preferences.
K701 is leaner and more forward in the upper midrange while K812 is closer to HD800S in terms of signature, but retaining the sparkle and quick punch.

HD800 is not very different from HD800S in my experience, a little bit drier overall / more steely tonality.
You're setup might play a role, since these headphones are quite sensitive to DAC/Amp matching.
Thanks a lot for your insights !

May 2, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #3,335 of 8,785
Well, whoever is a fan of Dakoni ears pads. I tried it on, and I am not impressed, and there are several reasons

1/ sub-bass rumbles are not as well rendered as the stock pads
2/ details become more sizzling and ears piercing in comparison to stock pads

I think I do know why, but this is just my speculations

1/ the stock pads has the plastic film behind the pads to help holding the Acoustic filter. This plastic film not only hold the acoustic filters in place, but also play it parts together with the aluminum housing designs to create the sub-bass rumbling effects. I believe the aluminum housing plays a huge part in the hd800S voicing, and won’t be surprised if it is on the 800 as well. Even on the 820, there are slight modifications to the aluminum chamber itself. From the look at the pictures on the HD820, this chamber is much different than 800/S

2/ the stock pads has Acoustic filter, and this was designed by Sennheiser specifically to filter out the sizzling effects of the trebles.

The #1 and #2 together makes the Stock pads much more valuable than it should be. Beside, my ears would be touching the drive with the Dakoni pads and not stock pads, and I do not know why. This is perhap another reason for that ear piercing highs

May 3, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #3,337 of 8,785
Stock pads much more valuable than it should be
My opinion is that there's a reason why the stock pads are made in a certain way.

May 3, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #3,338 of 8,785
Fwiw I posted my review of the Velour Dekoni pads on Amazon a while back:

I bought these for my HD800S a couple of weeks and honestly I'm pretty disappointed with them (especially for the money).

The box is nice and gives a premium feel that one would expect at this price point. Unfortunately the quality feeling of the pads themselves doesn't follow suit. Although they're thick and the memory foam is of good quality the fabric cover does feel cheap and is not what I'd describe as velour. I've got several cheaper velour pads that offer better fabric quality. That being said the Dekoni pads do feel quite comfortable in usage.

The included tool to help remove the pads broke the second time I used it and the fabric started to come loose from the plastic ring the first time I removed the pads so overall quality is pretty disappointing to me.

As for changes in the sound they're not very obvious but over time they show and unfortunately they're all on the negative side for me. Slightly less bass, slightly more noticeable sibilance and as a total a slightly more distant sound. Not night and day but all combined it makes the headphones a bit less engaging.

As a total these pads doesn't offer anything positive to the HD800S in my opinion and I get the feeling that they're made to make money not to improve the performance of the headphones, which is quite disappointing.

May 3, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,340 of 8,785
Well, whoever is a fan of Dakoni ears pads. I tried it on, and I am not impressed, and there are several reasons

1/ sub-bass rumbles are not as well rendered as the stock pads
2/ details become more sizzling and ears piercing in comparison to stock pads

I think I do know why, but this is just my speculations

1/ the stock pads has the plastic film behind the pads to help holding the Acoustic filter. This plastic film not only hold the acoustic filters in place, but also play it parts together with the aluminum housing designs to create the sub-bass rumbling effects. I believe the aluminum housing plays a huge part in the hd800S voicing, and won’t be surprised if it is on the 800 as well. Even on the 820, there are slight modifications to the aluminum chamber itself. From the look at the pictures on the HD820, this chamber is much different than 800/S

2/ the stock pads has Acoustic filter, and this was designed by Sennheiser specifically to filter out the sizzling effects of the trebles.

The #1 and #2 together makes the Stock pads much more valuable than it should be. Beside, my ears would be touching the drive with the Dakoni pads and not stock pads, and I do not know why. This is perhap another reason for that ear piercing highs

I have them and I agree the sound isn't as good as stock but they are quite a bit more comfortable.

May 5, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #3,342 of 8,785
@111MilesToGo I gave the HD800S's a go with the Hugo 2 alone this evening. After that listening to this combo I still prefer them balanced out of my Pro iCan with the Hugo 2 as my DAC. With the Hugo 2, I thought the HD800S's had to much upper mid and treble emphasis and not enough low end kick. I can say that the Hugo 2 is fully capable of driving them but there are dedicated amps out there that can drive them better IMO.

Hi did you try the hd800s with the hdv 820? wonder how that compares vs ifi pro // hugo 2. I have the hdv 820 and find it sound phenomenally good, I am also interested in opening the sub low end region of this headphones, what I can tell you is that the hdv820 can make hd800s rumble and its really fun.

May 5, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #3,343 of 8,785
May 5, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #3,344 of 8,785
Hi did you try the hd800s with the hdv 820? wonder how that compares vs ifi pro // hugo 2. I have the hdv 820 and find it sound phenomenally good, I am also interested in opening the sub low end region of this headphones, what I can tell you is that the hdv820 can make hd800s rumble and its really fun.
I’ve never tried the HDV820. I’m sure the synergy between the Sennheiser products is phenomenal.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #3,345 of 8,785
Any one have recommendations for an aftermarket cable for hd800s, is nano silver eclipse good from wire world? its 27 awg and occ silver clad copper. I was told it could smooth more the treble and spikes also open some low end to. Any experience any one?

https://store.wireworldcable.com/co...-eclipse-7-headphone-cable?variant=1341354819

Smooth trebles and increase lows with excellent soundstage ? I can tell you that this Cables is pretty awesome . It is oyaide Aug-Line. This is the version that I made and it is equal 23Awg per conductor, but you can buy an already made from Oyaide themselves with 26Awg per conductor, and import straight from Japan you need to use agent

Follow this link

E2CD0A35-8711-4ECE-8073-479026A997E8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back