Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #8,461 of 8,824
Guys,
Thank you very much for your time and help. I'll try to reformulate my question by exposing my current situation.
I bought the Mojo2 as an upgrade from 2 old Dragonflys. I have a mid tier cans and I want to pull the trigger to something better, we are talking open backs such as hd800s, lcdx, etc...
I like to listen to mostly classical music on my PC, coach and bed so I highly appreciate the form factor of the Mojo2. What should I get? What should I do? Thanks again.

The LCD-X is pretty heavy and requires you to keep your head level to keep them on straight. So count them out for listening in bed.

The LCD-X sound great but I'm a bigger fan of the Sennheiser sound.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #8,462 of 8,824
The LCD-X is pretty heavy and requires you to keep your head level to keep them on straight. So count them out for listening in bed.

The LCD-X sound great but I'm a bigger fan of the Sennheiser sound.
Agreed. The Sennheisers are MUCH more comfortable. I actually had this debate myself many years ago (before climbing the Audeze ladder) and have since concluded the HD800s are probably one of the most comfortable high-end headphones made IMO.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #8,465 of 8,824
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #8,467 of 8,824
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #8,469 of 8,824
I did! Shipping now!

Who’s this guy talkin’ bout “connecting dots” and me needing a “small hint”? Thought it was obvious from my post that I knew the 800’s flaws. 🤦‍♂️
Sweet, my HD800S’s are sounding magnificent. The OG HD800’s I used to own, does have a more extend top end to my ears. The added low end presence of the S version balances out the sound somewhat. I still EQ in more sub bass and I imagine you will too. Even with all the other headphones in my collection, the HD800S’s stand out for their unique ability to sound so accurate and clean.

With that said, the HD800’s are a great addition to any collection regardless of what other headphones a person might own. I’ve own just about all of them; Susvara’s, Abyss TC’s, Solitaire P’s, LCD-4/5’s just to name a few. Nothing sounds like them and they are still referenced in many reviews when discussing sound quality. Glad to have them back in my stable.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #8,471 of 8,824
Sweet, my HD800S’s are sounding magnificent. The OG HD800’s I used to own, does have a more extend top end to my ears. The added low end presence of the S version balances out the sound somewhat. I still EQ in more sub bass and I imagine you will too. Even with all the other headphones in my collection, the HD800S’s stand out for their unique ability to sound so accurate and clean.

With that said, the HD800’s are a great addition to any collection regardless of what other headphones a person might own. I’ve own just about all of them; Susvara’s, Abyss TC’s, Solitaire P’s, LCD-4/5’s just to name a few. Nothing sounds like them and they are still referenced in many reviews when discussing sound quality. Glad to have them back in my stable.
With that “balance,” you sacrifice other unique features of the OG 800. I owned and EQ’d the 800 and 800S over a period of years. I too have owned all the headphones you mentioned and more. The 800 (and the 800s) do indeed have a place in any hp collection.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #8,473 of 8,824
Is hd800s the 911 of headphones?
I guess it depends on your use case, as others have mentioned. For example, even a 911 would not be a great match for someone who lived in the mountains, or out in the country on dirt roads. Similarly, if you expect these headphones to sound excellent in bass-heavy tracks, you will be disappointed. But if you don’t listen to that kind of music, the 800s will be an excellent fit.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #8,474 of 8,824
With that “balance,” you sacrifice other unique features of the OG 800. I owned and EQ’d the 800 and 800S over a period of years. I too have owned all the headphones you mentioned and more. The 800 (and the 800s) do indeed have a place in any hp collection.
Very true, I know you're going to enjoy the your HD800's. Glad you finally were able to find a suitable set :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #8,475 of 8,824
I guess it depends on your use case, as others have mentioned. For example, even a 911 would not be a great match for someone who lived in the mountains, or out in the country on dirt roads. Similarly, if you expect these headphones to sound excellent in bass-heavy tracks, you will be disappointed. But if you don’t listen to that kind of music, the 800s will be an excellent fit.
Yep, it's not that the HD800 series of headphones lack bass, it's more that the bass is not elevated in anyway. Nor are the HD800's meant to be a "fun" headphone. They are a straight shooters and portray the recording as it was mastered as well as presenting the flaws in your chain. Once folks have this understanding of the HD800's they can appreciated them for what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back