Sennheiser HD800 Updates!!!
Jan 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 554

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
This just in, I've been told that Sennheiser will likely receive only 100 HD800 in the first shipment. They're still thinking late February however.

Also, the told me they already have orders for what they expected to be the entire first year's forecast. Guess they undershot that a bit.

I'll keep this thread updated as I hear things.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 554
I'll try to dredge up what order number is 60 down the list and let you know.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 554
Great news!
smile.gif

Guess we were right then. That there are higher demand for exclusive headphones out there that the vendors thought.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news!
smile.gif

Guess we were right then. That there are higher demand for exclusive headphones out there that the vendors thought.

Perhaps.

But false scarcity is a common marketing technique. Effective if you want a product to be seen as exclusive and as a disincentive for retailers to discount their stock.

Sennheiser has over 40 years of market data on their headphones. It is difficult to believe they misjudged demand.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This just in, I've been told that Sennheiser will likely receive only 100 HD800 in the first shipment. They're still thinking late February however.

Also, the told me they already have orders for what they expected to be the entire first year's forecast. Guess they undershot that a bit.

I'll keep this thread updated as I hear things.

100 for the entire country?
eek.gif
Evenly divided (?) between you an other vendors???!!?!?!!?

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser has over 40 years of market data on their headphones. It is difficult to believe they misjudged demand.

Isn't it clear that Sennheiser misjudged the market if they already now, before shipping out a single 'phone, have orders on par with what they expected in the entire first year?

If the statement is true though, and not just a false scarcity...

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 554
Quote:

Perhaps.

But false scarcity is a common marketing technique. Effective if you want a product to be seen as exclusive and as a disincentive for retailers to discount their stock.

Make that 60 years. Strange huh? They come out with what they feel is a huge acheivement in the headphone world, promote it heavily and then plan on minimal sales on luanch
confused_face(1).gif
- I guess it happens. I need more evidence before I assume they are doing the "limited" "hurry and order" sales trick.. missed projections happen all the time.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 554
Quote:

Perhaps.

I don't think they misjudged the demand, but the timing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest part of their HD800 sales for this year is represented in these pre-orders.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 554
Uh ohs! I too hope my pre-order made it into the first batch.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 554
Quote:

Perhaps.

I would only believe it being a false scarcity if there were a lower end product using similar tech as the HD800 being offered concurrently, like an HD700.

More likely Sennheiser was being overly careful in their production numbers for the HD800, because of the current economic climate, and underestimated demand. I'm sure they'll ramp up production and releases, but they'll probably keep the numbers pretty low, especially if there is an HD700 type released anytime soon.

I do doubt that the HD800 is even remotely difficult to produce as the HE90 was.

-Ed

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 554
Guys, I think there won't be 100 pieces of the HD800, because I'll rob the whole shipment when it leaves Wennebostel.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, that was a damn joke. I hope you all will receive your HD800s soon.

I'm still waiting for it, too.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back