Sennheiser HD800 vs Audeze LCD-2 (Rev 2) vs Denon D7000 Shootout
Apr 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #136 of 155

That is exactly the problem, Dubstep Girl! I've been getting tinnitus ONLY with LCD-2 because it requires to be so loud, and none of my other phones do this to me..

I had a poor reaction to a pair of HD800s I recently bought.  
Background... I damaged my ears about 12 years ago testing some tweeters in a DIY speaker project.  I have had a low level ringing in my ears at around 7500 Hz since then.  

In burning in the HD800s, I used my Centrance HiFi M8, as well as a Meridian Explorer/EL84 tube amp.  The harshness of the HD800s diminished at about 80 hours (worst was the tambourine on "High Life" from Jazz at the Pawnshop).

I have enjoyed my LCD-2F for a year now, with no exacerbation of my tinnitus.

Doing A/B testing of the HD800s against my LCD-2F, after a few listening hours the ringing in my ears got worse and I developed a low level headache each time I tried the HD800.  After 100 hours of  burn-in, I returned the HD800s.  However a week later the increased ringing remains.  Now I listen to my headphones at very low volumes, and hope the tinnitus diminishes again.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #137 of 155
I keep hearing, in this thread and everywhere on head fi, comments like "HD800 is miles better in classical" than LCD 2. 

What if I prefer warm signatures? Would I still prefer HD800 for classical?

I generally enjoy cans like HD650 for their warmth and hate headphones with lots of treble energy. But I am afraid to consider LCD 2 as a classical can because of all the negative comments.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #138 of 155
My experience with HD800 vs. LCD-2F is that the Senns have a slightly better separation and soundstage.  However I believe Senn uses the treble hike at around 7,500Hz to improve the apparent soundstage and separation.  My ears reacted badly to that treble spike, so I returned the Senns.

I am still enjoying Classical music on the LCD-2F.  Current favourite is the deep bass notes on Yo-Yo Ma's fantastic Cello (via Tidal HiFi).  The Senns cannot produce that bass pressure and clarity.  I hear clear treble and no sibilance on classical strings, Jazz female vocals, and Jazz drum solos.

Edit: I notice you are looking for a closed headphone.  I enjoy my modded Fostex T50RPs when I need to shut out the world.  Nice ortho sound, like a baby Audeze.  Look at Mad Dog's line.

Conclusion: our ears are all different.  Try your best to audition before buying.

Peter

Jul 4, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #140 of 155
Thank you! I noticed that the T50RPs are semi-open, why not recommend the Fostex T40RPMK2 (which it says are closed)?

I modified the stock T50RP by sealing off all but one of the 1x3mm vents, and lining the cups etc as per the BMV#3 mods here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

Mine are more closed than open. A nice compromise for good bass quality/quantity. You could start with the T40RPs and accomplish a similar result. I believe the 20/40/50 have identical drivers

EDIT: I see Fostex will release a T50RP Mk III soon!

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #141 of 155
I am not sure why people compare hd800 against lcd2. They are in the different league.

Hd800 scales better with the better amps.

Maybe hd700 vs lcd2 ?

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #142 of 155
Mine are more closed than open. A nice compromise for good bass quality/quantity. You could start with the T40RPs and accomplish a similar result. I believe the 20/40/50 have identical drivers

EDIT: I see Fostex will release a T50RP Mk III soon!

This is actually a great option. I'll get to have some ortho headphone for once!

The only problem is the earpads don't look deep enough. I don't want my ears to touch the drivers.

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #144 of 155
This is actually a great option. I'll get to have some ortho headphone for once!

The only problem is the earpads don't look deep enough. I don't want my ears to touch the drivers.

If you follow the thread for the mods, most people substitute the pads from Shure SRH850. Cheap on Amazon. One trip to Michael's for craft supplies, a couple of hours work, and for $150 or so, you have very decent orthos. Or, order the Mark III when they become available, and see if Fostex have improved them enough for your needs, without any further mods.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #145 of 155
I am not sure why people compare hd800 against lcd2. They are in the different league.

Hd800 scales better with the better amps.

Maybe hd700 vs lcd2 ?

I kind of get what you are saying. I have loved the sound signature of the HD 800 since I bought them over a year ago. Every time I go to try out other headphones for potential purchase, nothing ever quite tops the HD 800. Even when I tried the HE1000 recently, although only for 45 minutes in total going back and forth between the HD 800 and the HE1000, it was not as exciting to me as the HD 800.

So every so often I would hear that another HP would be a good complement to the HD 800 because it had such a different sound; usually darker and maybe veiled. I would assume that something like the LCD2 might fall under that category. But then I remembered that many time whenever the HP that I tried was veiled and lacking in the treble department, I usually decided almost instantaneously and put those HPs down immediately. So now I wonder, should a HP to complement the HD 800 be as described above, or mostly similar to the HD 800 but different in some minor ways. I don't know if I know what I am really saying here but just kind of thinking out loud. Have you guys thought about what kind of HP would be a good complement to the HD 800? I know there are so many variables involved so there will be many potential answers.

I've posted in some other threads. Instead of going for something like the HE1000, I decided that I would be better off going for TOTL amp PLUS another set of headphones, for the same amount of money in total. I will need a closed headphone for work and I have decided that I will be getting the LCD-XC. To me, it had enough of the important things that I liked about the HD 800 but it was closed and it still had a nice punchy bass. I haven't finalized my decision on the amp yet but for SS, I am thinking about the Ragnarok, BHA1 or the CMA800i. I wouldn't mind a tube amp but most of them are not readily available in Hong Kong. I am in Toronto on vacation now but all of the used tube amps in Canada will be 110v instead of the 220v in Hong Kong.

Ok, so this ended up a lot longer than I initially intended it to be so I will stop here...

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #146 of 155
I forgot the whole purpose of my post. There are a few LCD2.2 (non-fazer) for sale at lower and lower prices. So I thought about picking one up just for the sake of trying something different and to see why the love of the real Audeze sound signature (because even though I am getting the XC, I don't think that it has the true Audeze house sound. If I give it a longer listen, will it grow on me? That is my real question I think.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #147 of 155
  I forgot the whole purpose of my post. There are a few LCD2.2 (non-fazer) for sale at lower and lower prices. So I thought about picking one up just for the sake of trying something different and to see why the love of the real Audeze sound signature (because even though I am getting the XC, I don't think that it has the true Audeze house sound. If I give it a longer listen, will it grow on me? That is my real question I think.

Did you get a chance to try HE6 ? it's lot cheaper than HE1000 which I will never buy (damn expensive for what I get imo).
HE6 is not as dark LCDs but it complements HD800 imo, or even TH900 does really well.

I was a fan of Audeze and I think I am still but just that comfort issue is really whats bothering me. otherwise I already have LCD3/XC.

IMO, LCD2 is in the same league as Denon AH-D7000, and LCD3 same league as TH900 in terms of SQ.

Let us know what you getting, interesting :)  For me I am done with headphones, I am going to speakers, totally different world and lot more expensive :frowning2:

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #148 of 155

Did you get a chance to try HE6 ? it's lot cheaper than HE1000 which I will never buy (damn expensive for what I get imo).
HE6 is not as dark LCDs but it complements HD800 imo, or even TH900 does really well.

I was a fan of Audeze and I think I am still but just that comfort issue is really whats bothering me. otherwise I already have LCD3/XC.

IMO, LCD2 is in the same league as Denon AH-D7000, and LCD3 same league as TH900 in terms of SQ.

Let us know what you getting, interesting :)  For me I am done with headphones, I am going to speakers, totally different world and lot more expensive :frowning2:

I have tried the HE6 a couple of months ago. I thought that they were ok but nothing really special. Maybe I will give it a bit of a longer listen, although I am already pretty firm on getting the LCD-XC (especially because it is closed versus all of these other options). I was only really thinking about getting the LCD-2 if I came across a great deal since their used prices seem to be coming down more and more. If I come across a can't pass HE6 deal, then maybe I will just get it to try out and go from there. Otherwise I will go to the local shop to try it out again but with the amps that I am considering.

When I bought the HD 800, the headphone that I originally had my mind on was the TH900. I was so sure that was the headphone for me but then I decided to try the HD 800 too and still it was almost a coin toss with the HD 800 slightly ahead after testing the two side by side. Now when I listen to the TH900 at the shop, I am 100% sure that I made the right choice back then.

I never tried the D7000 but I have tried the XC and really liked it. How would you compare the HE6 (and even the LCD-2) to the XC?

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #149 of 155
  I have tried the HE6 a couple of months ago. I thought that they were ok but nothing really special. Maybe I will give it a bit of a longer listen, although I am already pretty firm on getting the LCD-XC (especially because it is closed versus all of these other options). I was only really thinking about getting the LCD-2 if I came across a great deal since their used prices seem to be coming down more and more. If I come across a can't pass HE6 deal, then maybe I will just get it to try out and go from there. Otherwise I will go to the local shop to try it out again but with the amps that I am considering.

When I bought the HD 800, the headphone that I originally had my mind on was the TH900. I was so sure that was the headphone for me but then I decided to try the HD 800 too and still it was almost a coin toss with the HD 800 slightly ahead after testing the two side by side. Now when I listen to the TH900 at the shop, I am 100% sure that I made the right choice back then.

I never tried the D7000 but I have tried the XC and really liked it. How would you compare the HE6 (and even the LCD-2) to the XC?

Thanks.

The HE6 sounds thin to some, the LCD series is a fuller sound overall, HE-6 being a more dry presentation.

I think all around HD800 is the winner, I would recommend the HE-500 back in the day for it's excellent value. I don't think the D7000 compares at all really, thats just me. 

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #150 of 155

The HE6 sounds thin to some, the LCD series is a fuller sound overall, HE-6 being a more dry presentation.

I think all around HD800 is the winner, I would recommend the HE-500 back in the day for it's excellent value. I don't think the D7000 compares at all really, thats just me. 

Did you actually had HE6 ? and tried with the beefy powerful amp ? you need to hook it up with the speaker taps.  Quiet a difference.
And recently I modified HE6 and way better than HD800. Even without the modification HE6 was already better than HD800 in all area except the sound stage part.

Give a try :)  

And for sure HE500 worth the value, imo it was the best one for the money you can buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back