Sennheiser HD800S loose headband slider suggested fix
Sep 25, 2020 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AtomAmp

100+ Head-Fier
Has any anyone experienced this problem with the Sennheiser HD800S (or the HD800 for that matter) having one of the headband sliders being too loose. Mine does and it's somewhat of a letdown given the price and it being a niche product.

Examining the situation, I traced the problem to the small metal ball (sort of a ball bearing) holding the headband slider to a click. The ball does not contact tightly against the metal band unless you give it a push. The ball is supposed to fit tightly into the small holes so that there should be a satisfying click. This is annoying since the driver enclosure or cups easily slide down due to their weight. Only the right side is loose.

The FIX: This may not be a permanent solution but it is the fastest, easiest and simplest. You just take the headband padding off. Underneath you will find a clear plastic plate with holes where the fasteners are supposed to fit to hold the padding in place. Once the padding is removed, you will find under the headband that the small metal ball is situated in one side held in place by a small brass metal plate. I figured that the clear plastic plate under the pads would touch the ball lightly when installed in place. So I put strips of clear tape to the plastic plate that would make contact to the metal ball. The clear tape would make the plastic a little thicker at that area so that it would push the metal ball into the metal part of the headband and into the small holes for the click. You can put more tape to achieve a specific thickness if you want the slider to be a bit firmer and more secure. Then, just place the padding back on and voila! The slider fits tightly now and doesn't slide too easily.

There you go. I decided to do this because I didn't want to have it serviced at the Official Sennheiser shop. I figure the best they could do is replace the headband part. But that would mean having to wait for at least a month for feedback and I would have to leave the headphones to be serviced. Which could take a few days. Worse, if they replace the headband, the replacement would have no serial number.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 9
I ruined my band trying to squeeze the metal clip tighter. The plastic track ended up cracking. I had to buy a $160 replacement for my HD820.

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 9
I ruined my band trying to squeeze the metal clip tighter. The plastic track ended up cracking. I had to buy a $160 replacement for my HD820.
Sorry to hear that. I was afraid that would happen to me too. So I tried to think of an easier way.

The real issue is why are the sliders loose? Aren't there supposed to be quality controls here? So the problem exists even with the HD820. That's too bad. Is your replacement for the entire headband or just the cracked part?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 9
Sorry to hear that. I was afraid that would happen to me too. So I tried to think of an easier way.

The real issue is why are the sliders loose? Aren't there supposed to quality controls here? So the problem exists even with the HD820. That's too bad. Is your replacement for the entire headband or just the cracked part?

It wasn't a quality issue. I took some internet advice to bend the headband to increase clamping force. Bending it caused the track to change shape which made the clicking vary based on how it was bent. After a bunch of bending trying to get the clicking uniform, either the metal piece loosened or the track got wider.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 9
It wasn't a quality issue. I took some internet advice to bend the headband to increase clamping force. Bending it caused the track to change shape which made the clicking vary based on how it was bent. After a bunch of bending trying to get the clicking uniform, either the metal piece loosened or the track got wider.
Thanks for clarifying. You may be the OC type too, just like me.

May 11, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Hey guys! I never saw a good solution online except to put tape on the metal which, to me, just didn't sound like a good fix for such expensive headphones. So I came up with my own solution and I'll post the link to photos and final video to show how they are now. What follows is some short steps of what I did for anyone who might stumble onto this. that will tighten up the clicks on the headband and prevent the dreaded sagging.

https://imgur.com/a/wU92ZWL

Tools required:
*Fine tip tweezers/needle
*Two needle nose pliers
*Some time and patience
Steps:
1. Remove the headband foam by gently pulling from one side to the other.
2. Underneath you'll see the ball and clip that run along the holes that allow the headband to click.
3. Take some small tweezers or needle and get underneath the clip where it meets the plastic it's loosely clamped to.
4. Once removed make sure not to loose the ball!
5. Take both pliers and hold the clip with one set at the base where the circle cutout meets the main clip
6. Take the other set and bring them up to meet the first down one side of the circle hole.
7. Bend down on the hole side of the clip gently and repeat for other side. (Pictures show before and after shots of the bending)
8. Take some pliers and squeeze the sides of the clip that sandwich around the plastic. (only a little tighter so it stays clapped to the plastic under the new force of the ball)
9. Place the headphones at the last click as wide as they can go and put the ball on the ledge.
10. Looking from the top as the headphone is laying on the table, gently slide the clip into place. (this may require the pliers to squeeze the clip down and bite onto the plastic. Don't worry. It is ment to do that in order to stay firmly on.)
11. Repeat for other side to even out clamping force for the clicks.
12. Re-install headband
13. Enjoy sweet clicky, tight headband!
(Note that I am obviously not responsible for any broken or lost parts from attempting this. It has phenomenal results but it does require bending of parts so do at your own risk.)

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey guys! I never saw a good solution online except to put tape on the metal which, to me, just didn't sound like a good fix for such expensive headphones. So I came up with my own solution and I'll post the link to photos and final video to show how they are now. What follows is some short steps of what I did for anyone who might stumble onto this. that will tighten up the clicks on the headband and prevent the dreaded sagging.

Tools required:
*Two needle nose pliers
*Some time and patience
Steps:
2. Underneath you'll see the ball and clip that run along the holes that allow the headband to click.
3. Take some small tweezers or needle and get underneath the clip where it meets the plastic it's loosely clamped to.
5. Take both pliers and hold the clip with one set at the base where the circle cutout meets the main clip
6. Take the other set and bring them up to meet the first down one side of the circle hole.
7. Bend down on the hole side of the clip gently and repeat for other side. (Pictures show before and after shots of the bending)
8. Take some pliers and squeeze the sides of the clip that sandwich around the plastic. (only a little tighter so it stays clapped to the plastic under the new force of the ball)
9. Place the headphones at the last click as wide as they can go and put the ball on the ledge.
10. Looking from the top as the headphone is laying on the table, gently slide the clip into place. (this may require the pliers to squeeze the clip down and bite onto the plastic. Don't worry. It is ment to do that in order to stay firmly on.)
12. Re-install headband
(Note that I am obviously not responsible for any broken or lost parts from attempting this. It has phenomenal results but it does require bending of parts so do at your own risk.)

You are the genius and I love you, internet and head-fi forums.
Just did it as per your description and...... its clicking and clicking and holding tight!!
Only I was lazy and waited 2 years to search for solution... ccc

Thanks man

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 9

Tools required:
*Two needle nose pliers
*Some time and patience
Steps:
12. Re-install headband

Tks for your sharing. It is very helpful and thoughtful. When I practiced to tear down the headband following your instructions I found out an easier way to fasten the ball bearing tighter into the dimples/circle holes. And we don't need to take out the spring metal clip (and the ball) from the plastic part: just put a thick cloth under the tear-downed headband and use the tip of the pliers to press down the spring metal clip. It worked. This is how I did it:

Attachments

• 35D2D9E1-6576-49E3-A6B6-589E726949AA.jpeg
    35D2D9E1-6576-49E3-A6B6-589E726949AA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 9

Tools required:
*Two needle nose pliers
*Some time and patience
Steps:
12. Re-install headband

I just bought a used 800S. They are from the first run made in Germany, the ones without the S on the headband. They've had plenty of time to loosen up over the years. Your post was very helpful and I think these are good for another 8 years. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back