Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Nov 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,127 of 6,504
I think Sennheiser has made a mistake, and it would have been much better to sell the new 800S for the same price(or less) than the old HD800, like Beyer did with the T1 v2, most people are not even going to need or use the extra cable, so why force people to pay for it? just leave it as an option.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,129 of 6,504
I'm not trying to argue with you but just to say I am not aware of an official price from Sennheiser yet, so I find it difficult to agree with your conclusion. In fact I would have thought a much higher percentage of HD800 users have access to a balanced amplifier than folks did when the HD800 was launched. Maybe Sennheiser think that too and are adding this in at a reduced price............once we know what that is.  

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,130 of 6,504
I think Sennheiser has made a mistake, and it would have been much better to sell the new 800S for the same price(or less) than the old HD800, like Beyer did with the T1 v2, most people are not even going to need or use the extra cable, so why force people to pay for it? just leave it as an option.

Because they are also marketing a balanced amp, and therefore it makes sense. You buy the amp and headphone together (most places seem to give a bit of a discount when you buy both) and you don't have to buy an extra cable. For most people out of the head-fi bubble, this will make a lot more sense than the other way around, Anyway, it sucks for some of us, but if you think about it from a market perspective it actually makes a lot of sense. And BTW the Senn amp, while it may not be the final be all end all for the headphone, it is close enough and a no hassle solution for most customers. It is obvious why it is a bad idea to offer the headphone w/o a single ended cable and only a balanced one. That would be dumb.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,131 of 6,504
  I'm not trying to argue with you but just to say I am not aware of an official price from Sennheiser yet, so I find it difficult to agree with your conclusion. In fact I would have thought a much higher percentage of HD800 users have access to a balanced amplifier than folks did when the HD800 was launched. Maybe Sennheiser think that too and are adding this in at a reduced price............once we know what that is.  

We know what the price is: 1599 euro. We don't know what that means exactly in other markets, but it is pretty likely it will be the same as euro/ other currency conversions for any of their other headphones.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #1,134 of 6,504

I totally agree 

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,135 of 6,504
I think send hider is spot on with a re release of the this headphone and apparently reads in forums
People in general fall into 3 camps for this headphone
First is the ones who have spent the money on a flagship end system and fully enjoy it as is.
Second is the group that reads these forums and buys it anyway hoping the good is what they hear. These people now become the last two camps.
The ones who to tolerate the headphone
And lastly the ones who grow to hate it for what it is to them.
So by sennhuser doing a real mod as many others have and will no doubt copy it. They now effectively have broadened the group will enjoy the headphone for the amazing headphone it is.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,136 of 6,504
...happy camper in #1
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,137 of 6,504
Nov 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,138 of 6,504

They need an excuse to raise the pricetag. Silly attempt.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,140 of 6,504
I try not to second guess prices, all I can do is buy or not. I didn't buy the HD800 even if I could have gotten it for under 600€ lightly used, it was world class in most regards but overall the HD600 was better at sounding like the real thing. A fixed HD800, like I imagine it, would be worth a price increase, since a fixed HD800 would have no flaws I can perceive.

I heard the LCD3. It was good but not as good as the HD600 either. And it had a character to it, like not enough resolution, a small amount of grain. The LCD2 had even more grain, it was really noticeable. A fixed HD800 would be better than a LCD3, more comfortable and a bit cheaper.

If the LCD3 sells, the HD800s will sell even more. As a manufacturer, you just have to balance production capacity with sales projections and come to the price that's going to get you the most money. I can't fault a business for maximizing profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back