Sennheiser HD820
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #991 of 4,370
From a parabolic microphone, and a
X girl. I am a egineer, simple reverse engenering. My motivation.
I am interested in your motivation, however, I am equally interested in @Sennheiser ‘s inspiration and motivation.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #992 of 4,370
Doubt if the official answer will occur; Sennheiser rarely talks about tech details. You may need to search the patents.
For me it just made me interested in the se-m5 and gave it a try. The sound stage is pretty open indeed. A decent design.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #993 of 4,370
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #994 of 4,370
Doubt if the official answer will occur; Sennheiser rarely talks about tech details. You may need to search the patents.
For me it just made me interested in the se-m5 and gave it a try. The sound stage is pretty open indeed. A decent design.

We shall see!

Thank you, I wasn't able to find thatsite before to understand what he was talking about

---

@selwin - What you made there is an interesting prototype I'd say. Curious how the finished product would look like if you continued working on it

No worries!

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #997 of 4,370
Question? To review my design, do i send it to someone of this forum.

As much as I hate to say this, you’re sort of derailing this thread.

I’d recommend you make a new thread or post on one of the existing ones on the DIY sub forum. There are some helpful folks there.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #998 of 4,370
I would like to know where the official inspiration came for the design of the HD 820, @Sennheiser?

Closed headphones carry several advantages and disadvantages, and we wanted to see if we could bring those advantages to the HD 800 S in a fully closed design, and mitigate the drawbacks.

At first, we simply tried enclosing an HD 800 S, but the result performed worse than the HD 800 S or got so bulky and heavy that it would be torture to wear. We really didn’t get anywhere till we thought of the concept of an open-backed HD 800 S in a room, and how to make that room smaller and smaller without affecting the sound. Density, resonance, and weight were major factors along this process. Pretty much the only intentional aesthetic decision was to harken back to the original “Best part about the HD 800 is that you can’t see it while you’re wearing it” look that has become iconic and more accepted since that time, and keep the black of the HD 800 S.

We are finalizing an HD 820 Q&A, and a casual binaural recording from Axel Grell’s design seminar, which when released will cover this topic in more detail! Thanks for your interest @moedawg140 , again glad to have you back in the community!

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #999 of 4,370
Thank you for the reply and explanation, @Sennheiser, it is very much appreciated!

Hoping to possibly see you and the crew at CanJam SoCal next month - it will be the last weekend I’ll be away before returning back to work that following Monday!

Stay blessed! :pray:

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,000 of 4,370
Closed headphones carry several advantages and disadvantages, and we wanted to see if we could bring those advantages to the HD 800 S in a fully closed design, and mitigate the drawbacks.

At first, we simply tried enclosing an HD 800 S, but the result performed worse than the HD 800 S or got so bulky and heavy that it would be torture to wear. We really didn’t get anywhere till we thought of the concept of an open-backed HD 800 S in a room, and how to make that room smaller and smaller without affecting the sound. Density, resonance, and weight were major factors along this process. Pretty much the only intentional aesthetic decision was to harken back to the original “Best part about the HD 800 is that you can’t see it while you’re wearing it” look that has become iconic and more accepted since that time, and keep the black of the HD 800 S.

We are finalizing an HD 820 Q&A, and a casual binaural recording from Axel Grell’s design seminar, which when released will cover this topic in more detail! Thanks for your interest @moedawg140 , again glad to have you back in the community!
Has an official release date been determined?

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,004 of 4,370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back