Sennheiser HD820
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,821 of 4,370
I actually enjoyed the HD820, and the HD660S respectively, i wasnt a fan of the 800S, 800, 700, 650 or 600. :frowning2: idk why.

But sennheiser is known for their plastic designs, this is to keep budget withing an attainable reach, keep it light and assembly as easy and fast as possible to get units out.

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #2,822 of 4,370
But sennheiser is known for their plastic designs, this is to keep budget withing an attainable reach, keep it light and assembly as easy and fast as possible to get units out.

Sennheiser uses high quality plastics in their 6XX range, and even better polycarbonate in their HD8XX line.
I think the build quality and durability of Sennheiser HD8XX range is easily better than HiFiMan, ZMF, and Audazee, with undoubtedly better QC as well.
Don't let "wood" and "metal" trick you, it's not about what material is used, it's about manufacturing process, good design, and QC.

That is, I assume you mentioned Sennhesier using plastics as a negative, which it isn't.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,823 of 4,370
I actually enjoyed the HD820, and the HD660S respectively, i wasnt a fan of the 800S, 800, 700, 650 or 600. :frowning2: idk why.

would you rather have plastic and everything works as it should or my HE1000se with metals that creeks everytime the metal rubs? My HE1000se is a fine device but Sennheiser fit me perfectly, and doesnt scream "I make break on ya soon if ya dont take care of this metal rubbing"

Again, whats matter is comfort and how it sounds, when I put on my HE1000se, it just a bit better than the HD820, but I would take the HD820 over hd800s, focal utopia.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #2,824 of 4,370
To be clear im not saying plastic means bad quality, there are some ballistic plastics that are used in bulletproof windows and body armour.

Im saying plastics do creak and rattle as much as other materials used for building headphone frames. I have a pair of dt1990, they dont creak or rattle at all, build like a german tank. That being said, when i demod the 820 and 660s i didnt hear any rattling but i did hear creaking when i was placing them on my head. My head isnt large its if anything average size. But, throughout listening i didnt hear any other build noises. So in my book, thats a plus.

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,825 of 4,370
Sennheiser uses high quality plastics in their 6XX range, and even better polycarbonate in their HD8XX line.
I think the build quality and durability of Sennheiser HD8XX range is easily better than HiFiMan, ZMF, and Audazee, with undoubtedly better QC as well.
Don't let "wood" and "metal" trick you, it's not about what material is used, it's about manufacturing process, good design, and QC.

That is, I assume you mentioned Sennhesier using plastics as a negative, which it isn't.

I found this old post I made about the HD800's chassis back in 2009, just after it was launched:

jude (back in 2009) said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is really like that, HD800 will be an engineering marvel. To reduce the coloration of the frame/box seems on every hi-end speaker makers' top of to-do lists. My guess is it must have something to do withe ring-shaped driver which handles dispersion of vibration differently.
It really is like that. Sennheiser put a lot of effort into this very thing--making the chassis inert. I was chuckling a bit when reading another HD 800 thread that complains about the use of plastic (instead of, say, metal); and it should be known to those who wanted metal that Sennheiser did try, in earlier stages of development, at least one kind of metal for the chassis (magnesium). It had too much ring, so they searched for something "deader" (my choice of word), eventually landing at the Leona material (and other materials) they went with.

Cosmetically, they did want some substantial metal visual presence, so they chose a metal top piece for the headband (as well as that very fine-weave stainless steel mesh around the basket). In making that choice, they designed the headband assembly to help deaden any tendency for that metal band to ring. The frame does seem deader the closer you get to the drivers. Also, the plastic used feels very hard, and so the "baskets" that hold the drivers and the frame around them seem to me to have very high structural rigidity.

I've spoken at length with Maurice Quarré (Sennheiser's Product Manager Home Audio) about the HD800. At some point, I also want to have a meeting or telephone conversation with Axel Grell (Sennheiser's Senior Acoustics Engineer) about all of this, and the HD 800 project in general.

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,827 of 4,370
Finally i had the chance to try the hd820. $2400 you might as well burn youre money honey, way too much plastic to justify the cost:L3000:. fore that money i will give silver instead of plastic in my design at least, sorry to say senheiser but regarding to this one, you drop de :football:.:v:

I do not have any problem with plastic at all. just saying that corbon fibre flakes also does the trick. is more high end:thumbsup:

That's a nice 180 degree! :ksc75smile:

Sep 16, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #2,829 of 4,370
how does it compare to hd800s? i'm out of the loop
I found the 800S smoother and more taught than the 800. If that is any consolation. But theyre not vastly differenent despite what most people will have you think. Id say the 800s is maybe 25% better than the 800. Maybe even 15ish %. Its really up to you if you wanna spend more for slightly better.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,832 of 4,370
Now that I've descended into the rabbit hole that is high-end headphones, I picked up a pair of HD820s to A/B against my others (Sony Z7M2, Focal Elear, Focal Elegia). Sound-wise, the HD820 are clear winners. The tonality is perfect, the low-end is punchy, the mid range lets guitar breath without sounding too crunchy, and the highs don't seem to be harsh. The frequency response on these is great for my preferences. And I like the included cables—three different options, all plenty long. Most stock cables are too short, so this is great. That said, one glaring problem is the fit.

Absolutely the worst fitting headphones I've tried. It's just me. My head is narrow and long, so there's barely any clamping force. If I move my head at all (up, down, left, right) the headphones slosh around. If I open my mouth, swallow, or yawn the headphones move around. I have to remain perfectly still and that's no bueno.

If I put slight pressure against the ear cups with my fingertips, it's perfect. The sound is awesome. Bass hits like a sledgehammer. But just wearing them without holding them, there's less bass from the loose fit. If the ear pads/cushions were a little thicker I think that would solve the problem. This would put pressure against the headband, increasing clamping force. I contacted Dekoni and asked if they planned on offering replacement pads but they said there hasn't been enough interest yet.

Anybody else have this problem? Other than this, they're the best sounding headphones I've tried so far. The HD800S are nice as well, but the 820 are punchier and if I had to choose between punchy or airy, I'd choose the former.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #2,833 of 4,370
Now that I've descended into the rabbit hole that is high-end headphones, I picked up a pair of HD820s to A/B against my others (Sony Z7M2, Focal Elear, Focal Elegia). Sound-wise, the HD820 are clear winners. The tonality is perfect, the low-end is punchy, the mid range lets guitar breath without sounding too crunchy, and the highs don't seem to be harsh. The frequency response on these is great for my preferences. And I like the included cables—three different options, all plenty long. Most stock cables are too short, so this is great. That said, one glaring problem is the fit.

Absolutely the worst fitting headphones I've tried. It's just me. My head is narrow and long, so there's barely any clamping force. If I move my head at all (up, down, left, right) the headphones slosh around. If I open my mouth, swallow, or yawn the headphones move around. I have to remain perfectly still and that's no bueno.

If I put slight pressure against the ear cups with my fingertips, it's perfect. The sound is awesome. Bass hits like a sledgehammer. But just wearing them without holding them, there's less bass from the loose fit. If the ear pads/cushions were a little thicker I think that would solve the problem. This would put pressure against the headband, increasing clamping force. I contacted Dekoni and asked if they planned on offering replacement pads but they said there hasn't been enough interest yet.

Anybody else have this problem? Other than this, they're the best sounding headphones I've tried so far. The HD800S are nice as well, but the 820 are punchier and if I had to choose between punchy or airy, I'd choose the former.
You’re not the only one. They could clamp a little harder. Although they are not bad on my head. I love the sound of the HD820’s and fit my be their only weakness.

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #2,834 of 4,370
Weird dekoni would say that. I didn’t have any problem getting their velour from Massdrop installed. They immediately came off for ruining the sound. Seems like the others they sell for 800/S would work.

Sep 24, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,835 of 4,370
Weird dekoni would say that. I didn’t have any problem getting their velour from Massdrop installed. They immediately came off for ruining the sound. Seems like the others they sell for 800/S would work.

800S and 820 pads are different and not interchangeable. The 800S pads are much thinner. If anything the 820 needs thicker pads. Or some other modification/trick to increase clamping force. Best I've been able to come up with is a giant rubber band wrapped around my head lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back