Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #2,356 of 4,902
How hard/easy is it to do?
The wire is somewhat glued right before the MMCX connector but I didn't know that. I initially tried to remove it from its other end, only to find out it's stuck from above.

So you have to make two cuts, but it's a bit risky due to the possibility of cutting the actual wiring. If you manage to cut precisely, you are good to go. I actually broke a piece of the cable a bit but that's fine (the one which exists right before the cable becomes thicker to accommodate the bendable wire).

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2,357 of 4,902
Has the IE900 ever been out of stock for a longer period of time in the US/major asian markets?

Latest update from a German dealer ( auditorium.de) is 1st November...Why not allocate some of the stock in Asia/North America to Europe?! It's quite surreal since Sennheiser is a German company, and the IE 900 are manufactured in Germany as well...

https://www.auditorium.de/en/detail/345b5101035d5fc991bf0f073eb229e1

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,358 of 4,902
Has the IE900 ever been out of stock for a longer period of time in the US/major asian markets?

Latest update from a German dealer ( auditorium.de) is 1st November...Why not allocate some of the stock in Asia/North America to Europe?! It's quite surreal since Sennheiser is a German company, and the IE 900 are manufactured in Germany as well...

https://www.auditorium.de/en/detail/345b5101035d5fc991bf0f073eb229e1
They are currentely moving the production from germany to ireland and stock is low all around a world. They could only produce ~60 units per day in germany (ireland wont change that as far as i know) which is like nothing for such a banger of an IEM from a brand like sennheiser so yeah dont expect these to be widely available for quite some time.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #2,359 of 4,902
They are currentely moving the production from germany to ireland and stock is low all around a world. They could only produce ~60 units per day in germany which is like nothing for such a banger of an IEM from a brand like sennheiser so yeah dont expect these to be widely available for quite some time.

Hmm really... I got nothing against the Irish but the big selling point about Sennheisers high-end products its the "Made in Germany" stamp... :/

That's quite disappointing actually :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2,361 of 4,902
After the takeover from sonova they made this decision. All the products made in germany until now gonna move to ireland. HD800s and HDV 820 included.

Wow.... I can understand such a move for low end products, but for high-end products like the IE900...Not sure what to say. The Sonova aqusistion continues to be a huge disappointment. The employees in Germany must be really angry with this as well...

I guess the price will remain the same as well...Personally I value the made in Germany seal much higher than Ireland.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,362 of 4,902
Wow.... I can understand such a move for low end products, but for high-end products like the IE900...Not sure what to say. The Sonova aqusistion continues to be a huge disappointment.

I guess the price will remain the same as well...Personally I value the made in Germany seal much higher than Ireland.
I agree. I dont expect this to change the quality that much because quality control should remain similar but still i dont understand it. Gonna be interesting if the made in germany ones gonna be different at all. Anyways i got the last pair from the flagship store in the production facility so im fine :ksc75smile:

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #2,363 of 4,902
I agree. I dont expect this to change the quality that much because quality control should remain similar but still i dont understand it. Gonna be interesting if the made in germany ones gonna be different at all. Anyways i got the last pair from the flagship store in the production facility so im fine :ksc75smile:

Personally I'm quite pissed of at Sennheiser atm, at least the leadership, first customers in Sweden get totally screwed price-wise compared to the rest of Europe (thus my order from Auditorium.de), then they change the manufacturing location for a +1000 EUR product half a year after launch. Seriously considering cancelling my order...

Is there any official statement about the production relocation?

Still got huge respect for the engineers/folks at the factory floor, I do wonder how they feel about all of this.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,365 of 4,902
Purely anecdotal, and based only on the authorized dealer I bought from back in mid-June, supply is an issue in the States too as far as I can tell. I ordered on first day they were available (at least at this shop); they were sold out within hours, and pretty sure they didn't get more stock until like 6 weeks later. They have been back-ordered since shortly after that second shipment, I think.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #2,366 of 4,902
The original HD600 used to me made in Ireland, I still have my model that I purchased in 1997, it still works fantastic just replaced pads and the Headband Pads, it’s stamped inside made in Ireland.

Well the HD600 were made in Ireland from the get go? And it cost way less and I imagine the IE900 is quite a bit more complicated to manufacture compared the HD600.

It's quite astonishing that they make this move so soon after initial production, especially since it's a high-end product were the "Made in Germany" is quite valuable.

I don't have any experience from this scenario for such a high-end audio product, maybe the Germany made IE900 will have a higher market value in the used marketplace?

Sennheiser still advertised the "made in Germany" aspect of the IE900 as recent as the 9th Sept on Twitter...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 22-45-28 Sennheiser på Twitter.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 22-45-28 Sennheiser på Twitter.png
    475.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,367 of 4,902
Well the HD600 were made in Ireland from the get go? And it cost way less and I imagine the IE900 is quite a bit more complicated to manufacture compared the HD600.

It's quite astonishing that they make this move so soon after initial production, especially since it's a high-end product were the "Made in Germany" is quite valuable.

I don't have any experience from this scenario for such a high-end audio product, maybe the Germany made IE900 will have a higher market value in the used marketplace?

Sennheiser still advertised the "made in Germany" aspect of the IE900 as recent as the 9th Sept on Twitter...

What exactly is the issue with manufacturing in Ireland versus Germany?

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,368 of 4,902
What exactly is the issue with manufacturing in Ireland versus Germany?

In general the made in Germany seal is very highly regarded. Can't say I got any experience in audio equipment manufacturing, so who knows how much of difference it makes in this field.

But as a potential customer of a +1000 EUR audio product I'd like to know why they're moving the manufacturing from Germany to Ireland. It's a very strange move so early on for such a highly complicated product.

How can we be certain that the product will have the exact same qualities? Just like in any other field the people who are actually manufacturing the product makes a huge difference. I'm guessing they'll have to train a new workforce for this production line.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #2,369 of 4,902
Just to chime in, I'm in the States (Seattle area) and ordered the IE 900 on 8/24. My dealer said that Senn told them that they won't get a batch until the end of Sept. I've been waiting as patiently as possible. A bit late to the game I suppose.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,370 of 4,902
In general the made in Germany seal is very highly regarded. Can't say I got any experience in audio equipment manufacturing, so who knows how much of difference it makes in this field.

But as a potential customer of a +1000 EUR audio product I'd like to know why they're moving the manufacturing from Germany to Ireland. It's a very strange move so early on for such a highly complicated product.

How can we be certain that the product will have the exact same qualities? Just like in any other field the people who are actually manufacturing the product makes a huge difference. I'm guessing they'll have to train a new workforce for this production line.

They've had a factory here in Ireland for many years and it sounds like with the recent acquisition, they intend to continue it's operation.

https://en-ie.sennheiser.com/service-support-services

They clearly have an excellent R&D / engineering team, IE900 is testament to that - I would be confident in their ability to replicate production at another location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back