Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Oct 4, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,491 of 4,902
Ok just few words on the IE 900 and amp pairing after a month of daily use. I have night and days soundstage presentation skipping from a config to another.

With DAP a SE 200 and a FIIO DX 200 (Not mine) I get a very good result but the soundstage depth is average (tough better in single end termination- with small trade off in width and resolution).

As already mentioned it's soundstage depth performance improve considerably (I insist) with some gear association :

- AUDIRVANA and audio quest COBALT : More body more headroom without details lost
- AUDIRVANA and LUXMAN DA 150 : the most beautiful timbre and texture but loosing a bit of that depth. Totally magical yet for musicality.
- AUDIRVANA with L 509 X headphone jack : not really the best pairing for détails but still better : dismiss
- AUDIRVANA and Cobalt and BURSON HA 160 (as an amp only) : too dark and bassy : dismiss
- AUDIRVANA with a pro sound card with headphone AMP : ARTURIA FUSE : incredibly depth soundstage with perfect layering - it's not far of very good open headphones on that level. Yes I say that.

There is no question a good dedicated amp generate substantials result on the HEADROOM compared to the few DAP I tried (OWN the SE 200) and it is true for every IEM and notably for DD drivers (seems like the LEGEND X or the VE EXT reviewers confirm that).

It is really a personal statement and I haven't heard the TOTL DAP from other brands, but never been crushed with the results considering the price.

I'm trying to deduct some "rules" but not sure. Could impedance matching explains that??

AUDIRVANA offers a significant upgrade to sound quality in every configuration but for soundstage depth arena feelings it is not all the explanation (LUXMAN DA 150)

For exemple the COBALT is better on that level and I doubt it is more powerful than a desktop gear.

Then you have ARTURIA FUSE (600 €) that best them all : the stage is taken back a bit but the imaging on Z axis is just fantastic. Can't stop listening. It is almost like an HD 800 with bass.

So the IE 900 can do that and it seems it is not only a matter of power as I don't assume the COBALT is more powerful than a SE 200. I recently read the HEADPHONIA review wHICH tends to make the same constat. Pairing can go from good to exceptional.

I'm not saying it is not good with DAP it is very good but as with every iem it is a trade off for nomadism goals.. OK for me.

So what is the Hell with such difference in headroom? cause it make the IE 900 a serious open back contender in some case or bring it down to a very good iem but with it's inners flaws in term of soundstage (depth essentially which is more important to me)

Thanks for technicals feedbacks on the topic
Sennheiser should take notes from themselfs lol on how to tune their high end closed back headphones.

Oct 4, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,494 of 4,902
I really hope Sennheiser is dropping a HD900 in the future which goes in the same direction like the IE900 in terms of being an exceptional allrounder. This remains the most impressive part about the IE900 for me. After slightly reducing the 7k peak (about -2dB, just too energetic in some tracks for my young ears 😅) i can use them for everything. No matter what genre everything is so enjoyable.

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #2,495 of 4,902
I really hope Sennheiser is dropping a HD900 in the future which goes in the same direction like the IE900 in terms of being an exceptional allrounder. This remains the most impressive part about the IE900 for me. After slightly reducing the 7k peak (about -2dB, just too energetic in some tracks for my young ears 😅) i can use them for everything. No matter what genre everything is so enjoyable.
Hope so too.

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,496 of 4,902
I've had a pair of IE-900's for a few months now. I will say that the comfort of these is incredible. They're small enough to seat deep enough in my ear that I can lay my head on a pillow with no discomfort. As for the sound, I do of course love the clean and deep bass. I find myself EQ's more presence in the upper mids quite often. Still working on finding the best way to make the sound the way I want. I've only had the in a iFi Zen Dac V2 and would love to run them on better gear to hear the difference.

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #2,497 of 4,902
It's been a long and winding road going through a lot of ChiFi, Shure, Sennheiser, Planar, Single BA, Multi-BA, back & forth.... However, and a BIG however, I've reached end-game. I'm out.

I now have the IE900! ...and OMG how can a single DD do this?

I've had the IE300 on about 4 different occasions, something about them drew me in, I think it was the fun factor and emotion. The only nagging point was the sort of boomy/bloaty bass (not sub-bass) and their laidback approach to resolving detail. They did however shine a light on what driver arrangement I preferred and also what I ultimately wanted from an IEM. They pushed me on to the IE900 and I'm delighted!

The two aren't really related at all sound wise, how can something quite similar sound so different? The IE900 is super resolving, super clean, super spacious and just awesome, the tuning is spot on.

They strike a balance between where you can choose to just enjoy the music with your foot tapping and your head nodding; or can delve in and dig out details with critical listening.

It's like with the IE300 you're sitting in the conservatory looking out, and with the IE900 you open the doors and sit outside on the decking. The difference is huge.

Glad to be in the club 👌

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,498 of 4,902
So just heard from my dealer, who I’ve had the ie-900 ordered on backorder. Senn hasn’t delivered yet and they asked what’s up. They were just told basically that it’s delayed indefinitely. Most likely won’t ship this year. No reason as to why.

This is extremely disappointing. I will probably just give up on getting it. Senn dropped the ball.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,499 of 4,902
So just heard from my dealer, who I’ve had the ie-900 ordered on backorder. Senn hasn’t delivered yet and they asked what’s up. They were just told basically that it’s delayed indefinitely. Most likely won’t ship this year. No reason as to why.

This is extremely disappointing. I will probably just give up on getting it. Senn dropped the ball.
This must be the most one of the most frustrating release of any major Hifi-product...Im quite pissed off.

Imagine a company that doesn't wanna earn money...I can imagine the margin on the IE900 is quite high.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #2,501 of 4,902
Well I'm glad I bought a pair just now. I can only find one or two more sets available in the uk from resellers.

Oct 13, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #2,502 of 4,902
Maybe they didn't expect as many orders as they have been getting?

Or they are getting slammed by the global supply chain issues we are all facing.

That's the thing right, they aren't communicating with either the customers or their dealers. The folks from Sennheiser here on headfi has been dead silent about anything related to stock shortages.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,503 of 4,902
Listening to Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles feels like I'm eating these with the IE900 on!

91N7swzGqJL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,504 of 4,902
Spending some quality time with my IE900 tonight, listening to the following album - which of course is sounding fantastic. First time pairing with my NW-WM1A in a while, definitely brings out more than my ZX507...

Oct 14, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #2,505 of 4,902
This must be the most one of the most frustrating release of any major Hifi-product...Im quite pissed off.

Imagine a company that doesn't wanna earn money...I can imagine the margin on the IE900 is quite high.
i explained it earlier. They can only produce 60 units per day no matter what. This is the only reason for the shortage. If they could they would produce more.

Also production cost for the IE900 is incredibly high for what it is. Its more then a pair of HD800s as far as i know.

I know its frustrating if you didnt get a pair but its no reason to bash Sennheiser for it. They had quite a lot of headphones ready for release and after that they can only produce said amount. Its just an unbelievable success

Users who are viewing this thread

Back