Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,276 of 4,902
I'm biased in favor of electronic in general, and have a soft spot for Anjunabeats/Anjunadeep label for various reasons...but stuff like this displays for me, what I find appealing about sets like the IE 900.

a2970958653-16.jpg

Are you happy with them so far?!

In terms of tips, I've found quite a few now that are very comfortable and sound great. Probably still lean towards either the Comply foam or Symbio foam.
I am. I'm gonna burn them in a bit, maybe 50 hours on my burn-in rig (LOL...an old iPod Touch)over the next several days, but otherwise use will be in my ears. I'm also glad to be supporting a legacy company, who develops their own stuff. I tend to dislike foams, but might try some cheap Tennmaks I have around here.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,277 of 4,902
I'm biased in favor of electronic in general, and have a soft spot for Anjunabeats/Anjunadeep label for various reasons...but stuff like this displays for me, what I find appealing about sets like the IE 900.

a2970958653-16.jpg

That's nice, having a listen on Bandcamp - I don't listen to much vocal house but well suited to summer months, I've an upcoming staycation which will involve a lot of driving, I might grab some from that label and load up in the car, nice and upbeat and won't get funny looks from my family!

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,278 of 4,902
I had the Luna for only a couple weeks lat last Fall, and yeah FWIW, OP's description of the bass wasn't my experience either, but I won't debate the point as I feel I also didn't have an extended time with them and a paucity of source+eartip swapping at the time. As someone who appreciates DUNU, I was actually a bit disappointed, but it was actually the upper mid/lower treble that I couldn't quite "get."
In terms of size, how do the Luna and the ie900 compare? I’m curious from a comfort point of view :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #1,280 of 4,902
As much as I love the IE900's bass, can't quite agree there. Legend X is still the king of bass in the IEM world. It needs a long burn-in/play-in time for those subs to settle, and also ALOT if power and control from a good (neutral) source. Then and only then will you hear what they're capable of. No question IE900 bass is TOTL however.
Let's agree to disagree, i was raving about Xs bass, but that feels like a lifetime ago, everything I've had since betters the LX in every respect

Jun 21, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #1,281 of 4,902
Haven't gone through the entire thread so I'm not sure if it has been asked. Are the cables and ear hook very similar to Z1R? They look very similar in pictures.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,282 of 4,902
Haven't gone through the entire thread so I'm not sure if it has been asked. Are the cables and ear hook very similar to Z1R? They look very similar in pictures.

Yep and I think they work vs versa

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #1,284 of 4,902
No, that's correct. No SN on the earpieces, only on the case. Those faceplates are too small for when the sales figures hit seven digits 😝

Interesting. I've heard many good things about Luna, but bass excursion wasn't one of them.

Out of curiosity, which tips are you using? I found the bass with the stock tips a bit soft (likely I wasn't getting a good seal), and indeed the IE900 seems to be very tip sensitive.

I've tried it with about 6 or 7 tips of varying hardness (I don't like foam at all, softens the bass too much). Finally settled on Acoustune 07 tips, mainly because the bass kick, punch and rumble was more visceral than any of the others. In fact the bass response bested the Fourte in terms of punch and slam. This is not a slow bass - though likely not as fast as Luna's beryllium DD bass - though I often find beryllium bass too fast in decay and therefore not completely natural.

Anyway, just wanted to make the point that tips will change the sound of these IEMs, and your favourites will depend what you're prioritising in the sound.
Yeah tips do make alot of difference.

For the Luna, I settled with Radius Deep Mount iem tips for for Luna.

Can't figure out something for the Senn ie900. I've been using the smallest official silicone tips for a deeper fit. but would like something easier to put in. The medium/large tips don't isolate for some reason.

Attachments

• 61MdtjxdJSL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    61MdtjxdJSL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #1,285 of 4,902
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #1,286 of 4,902
Alright, almost midnight in my part of the world, so a night time session that is drawing to a close before I put the IE 900 back on the burn-in rig for the next 15'ish hours. I think about 90% of all my music listening over the last ~7 years have been with hybrid IEMs, so forgive me if I'm being overly effusive about something many seem to take for granted: coherence.

Different driver tonalities (sometimes clashing, sometimes confusing), different timing, are things I just got used to. I'll just say I'm glad single DD have made a comeback as of late. This set is just a joy to have in my ears. I've thrown electronic (house, dub-tech, ambient), prog rock, pop at these, and now finishing off my first day of ownership with some jazz.

bb.jpg

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,289 of 4,902
That was shortlived.
Yep, used it for a few hours. The comfort is not for me.

For the brief moment the stars aligned, the sound is truly fantastic. I would say the bass on this is superior to the LX in quality.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #1,290 of 4,902
Alright, almost midnight in my part of the world, so a night time session that is drawing to a close before I put the IE 900 back on the burn-in rig for the next 15'ish hours. I think about 90% of all my music listening over the last ~7 years have been with hybrid IEMs, so forgive me if I'm being overly effusive about something many seem to take for granted: coherence.

Different driver tonalities (sometimes clashing, sometimes confusing), different timing, are things I just got used to. I'll just say I'm glad single DD have made a comeback as of late. This set is just a joy to have in my ears. I've thrown electronic (house, dub-tech, ambient), prog rock, pop at these, and now finishing off my first day of ownership with some jazz.

bb.jpg
Oh my, you've discovered the IE900's superpower 😁

Yep, used it for a few hours. The comfort is not for me.

For the brief moment the stars aligned, the sound is truly fantastic. I would say the bass on this is superior to the LX in quality.
Of all the things I thought you might pick out, comfort wasn't one of them. I'm yet to use a more comfortable IEM. Tip choice and size is key, as is cable technique. But I get how no two ears are ever the same. What a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back