Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 21, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,846 of 4,849
For the past almost three years the AKG N5005s have been my go-to IEM. I have been exceptionally happy with the detail, sound stage, mids and treble of the N5005s, but in spite of trying several pairs of tips and the bass filter I have never been able to get a strong bass presence. It is there, but not balanced in the mix, and in certain songs where the bass features prominently (i.e. the intro to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue) the bass notes get lost. I just received the Hiby R6 2020, and the pairing with the N5005 is a revelation....except for that pesky bass, even with the DAP's various tuning and eq options. I'm thinking it may be time to move on to another IEM.

I'm by no means a bass head - the bass on my Focal Clears with the Hugo 2 is pretty close to sonic perfection - but it kills me to be missing out on the bass with my portable rig. The comments about the natural sound and great bass on this thread caught my ear. Does anyone have experience with the N5005, and if so, do you think the IE900 would provide a similar sound with added bass. Note: I recognize the N5005 is a hybrid, and that many listeners sing the praises of its bass.

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,847 of 4,849
Got my IE900's yesterday and have a few things I'm trying to figure out. Should be able to compare them to my IE300s soon. I was having some issues with one of the IE900 cables, and for some reason I'm getting serious pressure in one of my ears. No signs of that with the IE300s though.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #1,848 of 4,849
20210721_214225.jpg

Ok so I just got my IE 900's today! First impressions were terrible... After a few hours of tip rolling and adjustment, I found the right fit! Seems like the Medium silicone tips properly fitted works really well for me. After the adjustments they sounded absoltely fantastic! However....

After a few hours I was watching a youtube video at 25% volume on my RME babyface pro and suddenly the left iem went out!. I first thought it might have been the mmcx connector so I disconnected it from the RME and disconnected/reconnected the mmcx connector. When I did that I regained audio but the left channel is severely lower than the right. I then plugged in my BLON BL-03's into the same unbalanced 3.5mm output on my interface and they were completely fine. I then swapped the cable from the 3.5 to the balanced 2.5mm cable on the IE 900's and plugged it into my Qudelix 5k and same issue... I never had an issue with my iems off of my Interface so either 1. My unit is defective or 2. My interface shorted the iem. This sucks :unamused:

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,849 of 4,849
For the past almost three years the AKG N5005s have been my go-to IEM. I have been exceptionally happy with the detail, sound stage, mids and treble of the N5005s, but in spite of trying several pairs of tips and the bass filter I have never been able to get a strong bass presence. It is there, but not balanced in the mix, and in certain songs where the bass features prominently (i.e. the intro to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue) the bass notes get lost. I just received the Hiby R6 2020, and the pairing with the N5005 is a revelation....except for that pesky bass, even with the DAP's various tuning and eq options. I'm thinking it may be time to move on to another IEM.

I'm by no means a bass head - the bass on my Focal Clears with the Hugo 2 is pretty close to sonic perfection - but it kills me to be missing out on the bass with my portable rig. The comments about the natural sound and great bass on this thread caught my ear. Does anyone have experience with the N5005, and if so, do you think the IE900 would provide a similar sound with added bass. Note: I recognize the N5005 is a hybrid, and that many listeners sing the praises of its bass.
Funny enough, I'm a fan of the Harman Curve and just could not get into the N5005 either because of the bass. I have the AKG 371 and JBL Club One. Love both.

I ended up returning the N5005 after getting it for a steal at $500 because I knew I just wouldn't really use it or get into it. I'm a sucker for good clean bass, though. Harman is known for it but it just didn't hit right for me on those, either.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,850 of 4,849
20210721_214225.jpg

Ok so I just got my IE 900's today! First impressions were terrible... After a few hours of tip rolling and adjustment, I found the right fit! Seems like the Medium silicone tips properly fitted works really well for me. After the adjustments they sounded absoltely fantastic! However....

After a few hours I was watching a youtube video at 25% volume on my RME babyface pro and suddenly the left iem went out!. I first thought it might have been the mmcx connector so I disconnected it from the RME and disconnected/reconnected the mmcx connector. When I did that I regained audio but the left channel is severely lower than the right. I then plugged in my BLON BL-03's into the same unbalanced 3.5mm output on my interface and they were completely fine. I then swapped the cable from the 3.5 to the balanced 2.5mm cable on the IE 900's and plugged it into my Qudelix 5k and same issue... I never had an issue with my iems off of my Interface so either 1. My unit is defective or 2. My interface shorted the iem. This sucks :unamused:
Hey, I’m from Pittsburgh! Just drove through Columbus two weekends ago, on my way to visit grandparents.

Check with customer service at this link, they’ll help resolve things for you: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/customer-service

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #1,851 of 4,849
Funny enough, I'm a fan of the Harman Curve and just could not get into the N5005 either because of the bass. I have the AKG 371 and JBL Club One. Love both.

I ended up returning the N5005 after getting it for a steal at $500 because I knew I just wouldn't really use it or get into it. I'm a sucker for good clean bass, though. Harman is known for it but it just didn't hit right for me on those, either.
The Harman curve for IEMs is a little too aggressive with the bass IMO. The headphone one is a decent target though.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,852 of 4,849
Mm…just got my 900 this afternoon. So far so good. pleasant all-around iem. Love the tuning. Joins my all time favorites: the erlkonig and hifiman re2000 gold. Works well with the sp2k cu 2.5 mm and sony dmp z1 4.4 mm. Only eartip that works for me is the large foamie. The large silicone does not fit (no seal). Terrible fit.

Instant crush just like the AkT8ie from a couple of years back. Some sibilance on a couple of tracks but not a deal breaker. Extremely comfortable to wear. Beautiful design. Stock Cables are okay but I would have preferred 2-pin for easier cable rolling. Cables does not look or feel premium or luxurious.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,855 of 4,849
For people that couldn't fit ie900 stock silicone tips - have you tried licking your finger and putting saliva on the eartips? It works for me and the tips would stick in my ear like an envelope when it would otherwise not fit. I learnt this from etymotic tips. I did this with stock tips and the sound was beautiful

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,856 of 4,849
😳 .. but why not.. change finger for left ears :)

I’m still waiting my pair for delivery.. ie900 shortage here by now .. SENHEISER : TAKE MY MONEY and cater your French dealers before next Tuesday .. I’m on holidays departure and I want to make my HEADFI buddies a heartfull return!!!! Come on

End of the word my dealer just told me about a 3 weeks delay for being supplied 😱😱 .. dramatic ..but folks I’ll be back

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,859 of 4,849
Mm…
Nice !! How did you do that? Does that require a specific soldering? I’m reluctant to customize my wizard copper but I’m curious . Thanks

I may confuse .. are you talking about the mmcx termination or the jack?
Mm…both. My Brimar Monarch is 2.5 mm and 2 pin —-> 4.4 mm and MMCX. And I have a guy in my neck of the woods who does the cable conversion/repair for me. Dont have the skill set for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back