Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Aug 18, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #4,322 of 4,908
Have the same color case. Serial nr. 18xx. Production date is 17/05/21.

That’s strange because the serial number on my case and certificate is 35xx and the production date is 01/04/21 (01 April 21).

This serial number has got me concerned. Does anyone know what the serial numbers should be on the legit IE900 from April 2021? jromee’s serial is 18xx yet it was produced over 6 weeks after mine which has the serial 35xx. I smell a rat.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #4,324 of 4,908
Searched Google images and YouTube unboxings for serial numbers. +/_ 1700 from april.. From my calculations they made like 400 pieces a month back then.

I am going to return the IE900 back to CEX because the serial number is dodgy. No way should the serial number be 35xx if produced on 1 April 2021. All of the unboxing I’ve watched have revealed that the serial numbers from 1 April 2021 are 12xx onwards and not 35xx like on my IE900.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #4,325 of 4,908
I went back to CEX with the IE900 and told them that I suspect that I bought a counterfeit IE900. They then took them to the back of the shop amd returned back 20 minutes later telling me that they think the case maybe fake but they are 90% sure that the IE900 are real amd that they cannot give me a full refund. Instead they said they can exchange me vouchers to the sum of £700. I refused demanding a full refund but to no avail. They told me to wait for the email from Sennheiser about the serial number being 35xx from 1 April 2021 when they serial should be in the 10xx to prove if they are actually counterfeits.

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #4,326 of 4,908
I went back to CEX with the IE900 and told them that I suspect that I bought a counterfeit IE900. They then took them to the back of the shop amd returned back 20 minutes later telling me that they think the case maybe fake but they are 90% sure that the IE900 are real amd that they cannot give me a full refund. Instead they said they can exchange me vouchers to the sum of £700. I refused demanding a full refund but to no avail. They told me to wait for the email from Sennheiser about the serial number being 35xx from 1 April 2021 when they serial should be in the 10xx to prove if they are actually counterfeits.

That sucks. Any chance you purchased with a credit card or the like where you can dispute the transaction?

Either way, let us know how it goes. Wishing you good luck with this!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #4,327 of 4,908
Aug 18, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #4,328 of 4,908
That sucks. Any chance you purchased with a credit card or the like where you can dispute the transaction?

Either way, let us know how it goes. Wishing you good luck with this!

I purchased using a debit card. However, I don’t know how to dispute a transaction.

I have no luck with those Sennheiser IE IEMs. I remember over 12 years ago purchasing Sennheiser IE 800 IEMs from my local pawnbroker which turned out to be counterfeit but atleast when I took them back they gave me a full refund back into my bank account unlike CEX who will only refund with store vouchers.

Anyway, I’m still waiting for a reply from Sennheiser support.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,329 of 4,908
I purchased using a debit card. However, I don’t know how to dispute a transaction.

I have no luck with those Sennheiser IE IEMs. I remember over 12 years ago purchasing Sennheiser IE 800 IEMs from my local pawnbroker which turned out to be counterfeit but atleast when I took them back they gave me a full refund back into my bank account unlike CEX who will only refund with store vouchers.

Anyway, I’m still waiting for a reply from Sennheiser support.

Just call the number on the back of the card and tell the story and see if they can help you out. I have done this before (in the US) and got my money back.

Also, I found this online. How long has it been since you purchased. I would consider counterfeit as a fault?

What is your store returns policy?​

Modified on: Mon, 2 Jan, 2023 at 5:37 PM

2 Days Goodwill return - If you are not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, we will happily return it to voucher within 2 days of purchase. Please note that all items must be returned in the same state/condition in which they were sold and refund is subject to testing. This policy is offered at management discretion and can be withdrawn at any time.

30 Days Statutory Refund Policy - Did your item develop a fault, that has occurred through no fault of your own? Provided it is returned with a receipt and we can verify the fault, we can offer a full refund to the original payment method, repair or replace the item, or exchange it for something else of equal value.

24 Month warranty on all items (except consumables) - Outside of the 30 day period, if your item develops a fault through no fault of your own, we will aim to repair/ replace the item. In the event that this isn't possible, we will issue a refund to the original payment method at the original sales value, provided the item is returned within 6 months from the date of purchase. If your item is returned after 6 months from the date of purchase then we will refund as per the current sales value or original sales value (whichever is the lower).

All faults must be verified in order to honour the warranty.

Proof of purchase is required for all returns.

Faults due to removable batteries not covered beyond 30 days.

The 2 Days Goodwill return does not include new items such as CeX Basics and SIM Cards.

You do not have to return to the same store that the item was purchased in. Your warranty will be valid in any CeX store.

Please note that items that have "(s)" in the name are restricted from our unwanted items returns policy, along with titles that are exclusively for online play.
Warranty doesn’t cover physical, liquid and any damage caused by rooting/ jailbreaking.

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,330 of 4,908
I purchased a pair of i.e. 900's from Ebay and contacted Sennheiser. They said the following serial number on the case was not in their database: 003706. Has anyone owned these for a few years with reliable performance? The mmcx connectors seemed laughably fragile. Offhand, and very peculiarly, these sounded absolutely sublime and somewhat boring to me. Sennheiser also said they would not repair them but only exchange them. Has anyone paid to have the mmcx connections repaired?

Aug 18, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #4,331 of 4,908
Just call the number on the back of the card and tell the story and see if they can help you out. I have done this before (in the US) and got my money back.

Also, I found this online. How long has it been since you purchased. I would consider counterfeit as a fault?

What is your store returns policy?​

Modified on: Mon, 2 Jan, 2023 at 5:37 PM

2 Days Goodwill return - If you are not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, we will happily return it to voucher within 2 days of purchase. Please note that all items must be returned in the same state/condition in which they were sold and refund is subject to testing. This policy is offered at management discretion and can be withdrawn at any time.

30 Days Statutory Refund Policy - Did your item develop a fault, that has occurred through no fault of your own? Provided it is returned with a receipt and we can verify the fault, we can offer a full refund to the original payment method, repair or replace the item, or exchange it for something else of equal value.

24 Month warranty on all items (except consumables) - Outside of the 30 day period, if your item develops a fault through no fault of your own, we will aim to repair/ replace the item. In the event that this isn't possible, we will issue a refund to the original payment method at the original sales value, provided the item is returned within 6 months from the date of purchase. If your item is returned after 6 months from the date of purchase then we will refund as per the current sales value or original sales value (whichever is the lower).

All faults must be verified in order to honour the warranty.

Proof of purchase is required for all returns.

Faults due to removable batteries not covered beyond 30 days.

The 2 Days Goodwill return does not include new items such as CeX Basics and SIM Cards.

You do not have to return to the same store that the item was purchased in. Your warranty will be valid in any CeX store.

Please note that items that have "(s)" in the name are restricted from our unwanted items returns policy, along with titles that are exclusively for online play.
Warranty doesn’t cover physical, liquid and any damage caused by rooting/ jailbreaking.

I purchased the IE900 IEMs yesterday. When I took them back today they told me they could give me CEX store vouchers to the sum of £700 since I’m still in the 48 hour unwanted return policy. However, I refused and wanted a full refund in my bank account instead but they couldn’t do it. Unfortunately the card enquiry number at the back of my debit card is a 0845 number which charges me.

They told me I would have to have confirmation from Sennheiser that the serial is counterfeit then they would look into giving me a full refund back into my account.

You’re right that counterfeit items should be classed as faulty but they don’t see it that way. They extended the 48 hour unwanted item return policy for 2 weeks so it gives me time for Sennheiser to get in touch with me about the serial numbers but it’s only vouchers. I don’t know if I should just get the vouchers instead as I buy a lot from CEX.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #4,332 of 4,908
I purchased a pair of i.e. 900's from Ebay and contacted Sennheiser. They said the following serial number on the case was not in their database: 003706. Has anyone owned these for a few years with reliable performance? The mmcx connectors seemed laughably fragile. Offhand, and very peculiarly, these sounded absolutely sublime and somewhat boring to me. Sennheiser also said they would not repair them but only exchange them. Has anyone paid to have the mmcx connections repaired?

That is very interesting and shocking. I will probably get the same response from Sennheiser whenever they reply which means there is no reason for CEX to refuse to refund me in full into my bank account because a serial number not being in Sennheiser’s database mean they are 100% counterfeit.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #4,333 of 4,908
That is very interesting and shocking. I will probably get the same response from Sennheiser whenever they reply which means there is no reason for CEX to refuse to refund me in full into my bank account because a serial number not being in Sennheiser’s database mean they are 100% counterfeit.
The moral of the story is if it seems too cheap to be true then it probably is.

The lesson is only buy from a Sennheiser approved seller or someone you really trust, I wouldn't even buy second-hand from a seller here on head-fi to be honest and definitely not CEX or ebay.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #4,334 of 4,908
The moral of the story is if it seems too cheap to be true then it probably is.

The lesson is only buy from a Sennheiser approved seller or someone you really trust, I wouldn't even buy second-hand from a seller here on head-fi to be honest and definitely not CEX or ebay.
True but still I don’t see £700 as cheap as they were more or less selling half price from CEX and I’ve bought items before from CEX which were half the price and never had bother. Due to counterfeits I guess when it comes to expensive headphones and earphones from the likes of Sony and Sennneiser I’d be better to buy from them direct or shops who are authorised sellers of Sony or Sennneiser. Never again will I buy expensive. Ranked IEMs secondhand again. I should learnt from my first experience. Hindsight is a great thing.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #4,335 of 4,908
I went back again to CEX and eventually managed to return them and get a full refund back on my debit card. What a carry on it was as I was in the store for an hour. They compared photos of the box contents of other IE900 IEMs from other branches and they looked different but they were still baffled and decided just to give me a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back