Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 6, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #4,486 of 4,876
I love the sparky treble of ie900 , but some times are too much in quantity , the splashes have much sustein …
It possible tame treble without affect the mid-hi ?
Three really good tips in my experience (YMMV): JVC Spiral dots, Azla SednaEearfit Max, Sony EP-EX11 hybrid. All are excellent. Slightly preferring the wider, punchier sound of the Azla at the moment. The JVC are a bit more organic/smooth and they were my number ones for a long time. The Sony are a touch more restrained, so I don't use them often, but if you want to tame treble they may be good for you. That said, every ear is different and it's hard to really make any recommendations.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #4,487 of 4,876
I go buy them…
Now yet , after test all in this case , TRI CLARION are my best

Attachments

• IMG_4956.jpeg
    IMG_4956.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 6, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #4,488 of 4,876
I love the sparky treble of ie900 , but some times are too much in quantity , the splashes have much sustein …
It possible tame treble without affect the mid-hi ?

Have you tried the Sennheiser IE Pro silicone tips? For me, those have a warmer sound and tames the treble.
Symbio W Peel (old version) is also good at taming the treble. I'm not sure about the new version which has a wider opening (typically that means letting all of the treble through).
Spinfit CP145 also works well and makes the sound more forgiving, but I think it tames the treble a bit too much.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #4,489 of 4,876
Folks, I would really appreciate some opinions regarding my issue.

Basically, I've tried the single ended cable and the 4.4mm cable many times, depending on how the cables are rotated, let's say for the sake of simplicity that in 6 or 7 out of 10 fittings, I can willingly interrupt the sound on the right side basically just leaning my head towards the left hand side at a certain angle. This issue can be reproduced just by sitting on a chair at a desk in the most stationary possible settings.

I think this is definitely a sign of poor design, to make things easy I bought a 3rd party cable (Linsoul) that simply works flawlessly.
Do you feel like there could be an issue with the right earphone that would require to be addressed via warranty even though with the Linsoul cable it works perfectly?

I have a good relation with my AD (bought these new a month ago) and I've been assured that the AD rep would have my back in any situation, but I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of visiting the AD, rolling cables, submitting the IEMs for warranty, etc.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #4,490 of 4,876

Basically, I've tried the single ended cable and the 4.4mm cable many times, depending on how the cables are rotated, let's say for the sake of simplicity that in 6 or 7 out of 10 fittings, I can willingly interrupt the sound on the right side basically just leaning my head towards the left hand side at a certain angle. This issue can be reproduced just by sitting on a chair at a desk in the most stationary possible settings.

I think this is definitely a sign of poor design, to make things easy I bought a 3rd party cable (Linsoul) that simply works flawlessly.
Do you feel like there could be an issue with the right earphone that would require to be addressed via warranty even though with the Linsoul cable it works perfectly?

I have a good relation with my AD (bought these new a month ago) and I've been assured that the AD rep would have my back in any situation, but I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of visiting the AD, rolling cables, submitting the IEMs for warranty, etc.

Thank you!
Perhaps the original cable is defective. I'd go to the dealer and try it with a new (or used) original cable. It's much easier to replace the cable than to send in the IEMs for repairs.

If their cable also exhibits the same issue then you can either accept that you have to stick with the Linsoul (or other) cable or you can send it in for repairs if you are up to the hassle and time required.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,491 of 4,876

Thank you!
Sounds like the problem is with the cable because it works when you switched cables.
Another way to test it is to switch the left and right side of the original cable (i.e., left cable goes into right earpiece). If it works, then there's more evidence the problem is with the cables.

Dec 7, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #4,492 of 4,876
Sounds like the problem is with the cable because it works when you switched cables.
Another way to test it is to switch the left and right side of the original cable (i.e., left cable goes into right earpiece). If it works, then there's more evidence the problem is with the cables.
Both cables that I tried (3.5 and 4.4) exhibit this problem on the right side earpiece even with the left-right wires inverted. I haven't tried the 2.5mm so far.

Basically only the Linsoul cable Is able to provide proper listening conditions. I'm kind of bummed because of this situation, I'm okay for the moment with the 3rd party cable fix, but I think I would need to have one extra for backup too, not to mention that in the case of a resale I would have a hard time explaining why the original cables clip the sound.

Edit: the Linsoul cable limits the rotation of the cable inside the housing compared to the original cable, but it also brings to the table a totally snug fit that just feels right.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #4,493 of 4,876

Thank you!
Another point of failure could be adapters (that is if you are using an adapter to connect to a DAP/Amplifier)?

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #4,497 of 4,876
Someone more like ie900 for METAL (extreme, technical, death) ?
I don't regularly listen to metal but I enjoy a lot of punk / hard rock / alternative and the IE900 is my best IEM for this.
It is also very good with the little electronic music I listen to. Feels like it was designed with these genres in mind, which may very well be the case.

Dec 12, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #4,498 of 4,876
I had my right driver give out on me back in July - almost a 2 year run. They were still under warranty (just barely) so Sennheiser Canada replaced them. Just last night, on the new pair, the right driver has again died on me. I'm not sure what my options are out of warranty - hoping that perhaps Sennheiser takes some mercy on me, seeing as these weren't cheap by any means. I don't wear them when I sleep - they are continually kept in the case in between sessions - so I'm not sure where the fault lies here.

If they DO replace them - that's great, however I'm going to be constantly wondering when the driver is going to give out again. So that leads me to my next question...

....what other IEMs would this community recommend that would be a good replacement (and hopefully a more sturdy one) for the IE 900? I absolutely love the IE 900 - we've truly had some mystical listening times together - but I am always open to change.

I am looking at the Campfire Solaris 2020. Thoughts?

Any advice/opinions/recommendations are appreciated.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #4,499 of 4,876
I had my right driver give out on me back in July - almost a 2 year run. They were still under warranty (just barely) so Sennheiser Canada replaced them. Just last night, on the new pair, the right driver has again died on me. I'm not sure what my options are out of warranty - hoping that perhaps Sennheiser takes some mercy on me, seeing as these weren't cheap by any means. I don't wear them when I sleep - they are continually kept in the case in between sessions - so I'm not sure where the fault lies here.

If they DO replace them - that's great, however I'm going to be constantly wondering when the driver is going to give out again. So that leads me to my next question...

....what other IEMs would this community recommend that would be a good replacement (and hopefully a more sturdy one) for the IE 900? I absolutely love the IE 900 - we've truly had some mystical listening times together - but I am always open to change.

I am looking at the Campfire Solaris 2020. Thoughts?

Any advice/opinions/recommendations are appreciated.
Sony IER-Z1R ? I have both and they have similar sounds and simply amazing bass. They're nowhere near as comfortable but I haven't heard any QC issues with them. I'm kind of worried about my 900 after reading a few posts here, just got them not so long ago.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #4,500 of 4,876
Hi everyone. Important PSA. Please, please, please be careful when buying IE900s, especially from CeX in the UK. I visited their Clapham Junction branch yesterday and both units in stock were counterfeits (but very good ones at that). They had no certificates of authenticity, the silver was present under the metal mesh when removing the rubber/foam tip, the S/M/L markings were matte on the box instead of glossy, and the cables were stiff and held shape. They exhibited everything in this article: https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-counterfeits-fakes/

It seems that many people have taken advantage of CeX as they have so many IE900s on sale (which is unlikely given how high-end and niche this IEM is). I will be heading to the Shepherd's Bush branch soon to check their pair but, if it is also counterfeit, I can only conclude that it is highly likely that you will get a counterfeit IE900 when ordering from them.

It is such a shame that people take advantage of others in such a great hobby, but I hope that this helps someone out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back