Sennheiser MM 450 or PXC 450
Sep 10, 2010 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

borderm3

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I was hoping some people could chime in and tell me the magnitude of difference between these two when it comes to the sound quality and the noise cancellation?

I was able to find good demos on the PXC 450, which I found to be excellent noise cancellation.  

I should preface by saying I know very little about headphones, although, logically I assume the smaller MM 450 will suffer sound quality and noise cancellation at the compromise of portability.

I am a full time college student who spends almost every awake hour studying or doing research.  I get distracted very easily so I am looking to purchase headphones to wear mainly at home to block out my roommates loud tv.  The MM 450's wireless functionality along with the microphone seemed like a few extra features that I could use.  It would be nice to use them for video game chat (although i rarely play) and for cell phone calls.

TIA
Chris

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 10
If I remember the MM450 is a wireless bluetooth version.  While the MM450 may be good - I've never tried one myself - I'm sure there is some sound quality issues with wireless transmissions.  Also, I am not sure if the regulations will allow you to wear these on a plane.  The MM450 also has smaller cups than the PXC450.

I have a pair of the PXC450, and I enjoy it.  Its chunky, does decent noise cancelling, and still one of the best active noise cancelling headphones out there even though its a good 3 years old.

From your description, have you had a look at others in the range, such as the PXC350 - cheaper alternative to the PXC450 (although the 350 is not something I'd buy), or the new PXC360 ?  Also, have you tried the Goldring NS1000's?  They will do the job you describe, but a lot cheaper.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Thank you for the input.  

I ended up ordering the MM 450's a few days ago, I think there is something wrong with them, I plugged them in and the noise canceling does not seem to work.

I have used a set of bose noise cancelling headphones at a bose outlet near were I live, I was in sheer amazement.  A friend was talking to me I could only see his lips move.  These literally make NO difference.  The sound quality doesnt seem any better than the in ear buds that came with my Samsung Vibrant.

Here is a link I posted about the noise canceling problem.  Hopefully I get to the bottom of this, after, I will put together a small review on here.  

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512899/sennheiser-mm-450-noise-canceling-doesn-t-seem-to-work-out-of-the-box#post_6932523

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi,

If I recall, the MM450's are on-ear noise cancelling headphones, which competes with the Bose Quietcomfort 2.  I never really liked these, as I have largish ears.

It might be that you are not getting a proper seal on them on your ears, and hence you get a lot of sound leaking - making it seem like they are not working.

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 10
I just finishing putting a full charge on the battery to see if that was the cause, no dice.  I tried messing with the fitment around my ear, it doesn't help.  

I'm really disappointed, hopefully they open at 8 am tomorrow and I can get a call in before school.

I hope its a product defect?   There is no way they should be any worse than the bose with the small form factor as well?  From what I have read prior to purchasing the noise guard 2.0 was a little better if anything than the bose technology...

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 10
Out of curiousity, what do you hear when you put the headphones on, without turning them on?  Do you hear more sound / less sound / same amount of sound?  If you hear the same (or more), the headphones are not sealed properly on your ear.  If you hear less - and I mean a lot less (about the same when putting in-ears), and when the NoiseGuard 2.0 is turned on, you hear more sound then that is a defect in the equipment.  However, I dont think I've ever heard of such a defect by Sennheiser for its mid-to-high product range.

NoiseGuard 2.0 is great piece of tech, and it was better than the Bose equivalent in the Quietcomfort 2.  The Quietcomfort 15 is supposed to be better as it uses a more sophisticated noise cancelling system, but having both the QC15 and the PXC450, the difference is minimal.

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 10
If i put the headphones on with no information going to them, the sound is certainly decreased dramatically.  At the rate that in ear head phones are, probably not, but close.  When I turn noiseguard on, it actually raises the sound amplitude of whatever is playing (if there is no information being sent to the headphones, this actually means i start to hear a very quiet hiss of noise).  

Sennheiser recommended returning them for a swap to my retailer, as if I do it with them, they must inspect them first.  My retailer was mail order and a 3 day shipment each way...sigh.  I am pretty disappointed I was very excited to have a top notch set of headphones, now I'm afraid that I won't be happy with them.  Even the sound quality wasn't as good as an 80 dollar pair of Sennheisers that I just tried at best buy.

Should I swap them out, should I trade for credit and PCX450, or should I just get a refund?  I wish I had a store local that had the PCX and MM that I could try out to see if they were worth the investment.  Thats a lot of money for something that isn't going to be the absolute best!

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 10
My personal preference is over-ear instead of on-ear for a simple reason - when you shake your head most on-ears come off your ears!  I think I'll always prefer the over-ears due to this tiny problem.  Also, with over-ears you know you get good noise reduction every time you put the headphones on.

The PXC450 are excellent, but they are big ... if you travel long haul and need to sleep, you cant tilt your head in flight.  Its one of the reasons why I have sound isolating earphones too for long flights
smily_headphones1.gif

Does your store sell other noise cancellers?  Heres a list of headphones which I've listened to that you may want to swap with the MM450 (but its all up to you what you do):

Sennheiser PXC450 (big)
Sennheiser PXC350 (cheaper alternative, but I dont like it due to its cheap construction and separate NC bit)
Bose Quietcomfort 15 (similar noise cancelling headphones to the PXC450, but smaller)
Goldring NS1000 (you can get these cheap from some stores, and its good value for money - but the sound is too punchy for my liking)

Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B - I've not heard these, but I hear they are pretty good

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0126471 

The PXC450 are excellent, but they are big ... if you travel long haul and need to sleep, you cant tilt your head in flight.  Its one of the reasons why I have sound isolating earphones too for long flights
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

I find that too.  Have had mine for about 2 years now and when going on the longer flights where I want to sleep, I take the IEM's.  The cans on the  Senn's, if they touch the headrest/bulkhead they pick up and amplify vibrations that the NC can't deal with.  Also, if I want to wear my sunglasses to get some darkness, they don't seal with the over the ear style cans.  Just something else to think about.

Cheers,
St Veronus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back